X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anne Lovett

Ann Lovett: Silence that will never be broken

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...en-257153.html

I remember that. Was just after returning from living abroad. God I was shocked and upset that could happen to a young girl.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Some letters people wrote into the newspapers about their own experiences at that time

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...tion-1.1673920

Comment

Jesus, those letters are heart-wrenching... I remember the story all right, and even at my young age thinking how horrific that a young girl was driven to such lengths for "shame". Shame is surely the cruelest word in the English language.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Remember it well, I was only a young fella and now I have 2 daughters older than Ann was then. Funnily enough I never forgot her name and believe me I forget plenty.
          Also remember that great Wexford band Cry Before Dawn wrote a song about her.
          Con Artist

Comment

I find it very hard to imagine those things happening. Just absolutely awful. Thank God we all live in different times now.
            The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Anne Lovett

Not just an issue in Ireland. My Aunt lived with my parents while pregnant at the age of 19. The baby was given up for adoption on birth without any options. My Aunt has been a nervous wreck all her life subsequently and the two 'legitimate' children she has had have had terrible mental health issues. Shame is indeed a terrible f'cking word!!!!
              Last edited by the plastic paddy; 31st-January-2014, 22:15.

Comment

Terrible case. There was more than "shame" at unmarried / underage pregnancy at play here. State and church again played a blinder to keep the skeletons in the cupboard.

Comment

Christy Moore's "Middle of the Island" is still an upsetting listen.

"It was a sad, slow, stupid death for them both".
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                  X