The running, half-marathon and marathon thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The running, half-marathon and marathon thread

Anybody's new year resolution in 2014 to run a half marathon and/or a marathon ?

Want to share experiences, training/diet/equipment tips, playlists etc...?

My first personal challenge: the Paris half-marathon on March 2nd. Anybody already signed up?

Second challenge (with a bit of encourgement and depending how the half goes) : the Dublin marathon in October.
    Any newbees or marathon veterans out there want to share?

Was in New York last year during the marathon (not running). Amazing atmosphere !!

Will be back soon with more info....

I've run for the past 3 years, full marathon (abysmal failure), team effort (not as much fun) and half marathon (just right)
    This year I am going for half in Cork, and to keep the exercize up I am running the Killarney Adventure race waaaay off in October.

I find the thrill of gadgets that help you, get's me motivated, and after about 2 months I'm sick of them.
    I will say, get a smart phone armband, that's one thing I can't live without.
    Last edited by Weetabix; 9th-January-2014, 14:15.

Comment

I'm not signed up to anything but my best advice would be to learn to run properly (if you don't know already), especially when road running. I did athletics quite seriously in my teens and learning to run on the ball of your feet and not your heels is key.
      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

And invest in a good pair of runners.
        My first 2 years I got some really bad advice and had some cheap Puma's got awful muscle pain in my lower right back into my hip.
        Last year I got the gait analysis done, splashed out over €100 on some proper Asics, no more pain. It is worth it.

Comment

Asics runners are very popular with runners and there's a good book Chai running which gives some great tips on technique, Problems and recovery.
          Good luck.
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Have been running for years really, alot of althletics as a kid, then did the Paris 20km in 2h, and a few 10km races in 2013 (last one under 53 mins) so not really a novice but would like more structured training now that I'm attacking the serious stuff. At the moment I get in 2 runs a week, one 10km and one 15km but I guess I'm going to have to add at least another run and build on the distance too.

I've read that training for the marathon I need to be doing long slow runs and short fast runs. Any advice on the speed and length I should be aiming for on each?

Got the good runners (recently changed and have fewer knee problems), the iphone armband (brillant invention!)...
            ........oh and have read "Born to Run" so good to go

Comment

On the subject of training schedules, Nike+ website and Asics website both have free training schedule apps. Found the asics one to be very good as it integrated straight into my Calender on my work iMac and iPad, so I could see weeks in advance where the training was going.

Comment

When taking on the bigger races and marathons you really have to run the miles to get used to it. Working your way up to approx 19 miles a few weeks before .
                And on the day, Pause at the start. Relax and wait for a nice ass to pass then follow it for all your worth.
                When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Think about joining a club. Most will offer weekly track sessions, company on long weekend runs and training plans for various distances.

Comment

Great will give that a go ...

Am hoping to sign up to an expats group here ... they're triathlon maniacs but who knows...

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
                    On the subject of training schedules, Nike+ website and Asics website both have free training schedule apps. Found the asics one to be very good as it integrated straight into my Calender on my work iMac and iPad, so I could see weeks in advance where the training was going.

Comment

Here you go actually
                      http://my.asics.co.uk/my/plan/new?plan[course_id]=1

Comment

Originally posted by Hugsie View Post
                        I've read that training for the marathon I need to be doing long slow runs and short fast runs. Any advice on the speed and length I should be aiming for on each?
                        I've never trained for a marathon but my interval (speed) training which would be on track would either be 4 x 400m with 400m rest between each or 8 x 200m with 200m rest in between. That might be a bit too short and fast for your kind of training. The aim was to get those laps or half laps as consistent as possible.
                        Last edited by redherring; 10th-January-2014, 11:04.
                        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

I have a buddy that ran the Dublin marathon this year in 2:49, that's crazy times for an amateur, but anyway, he says he did do a lot of speed interval training, so for experienced runners I think it is part of the training.

Comment

For beginners this programme may help

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...imes-1.1633125
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Anyone have a view on good marathon in Ireland to do?
                              Did Dublin in '11 and want to do my second this year. Will be aiming for sub 4 as know I can run that(and faster if I really want it) and want to give myself best shot to do it.

On training a long slow run once a week is key and gradually build up the miles until the taper.
                              Running with a group is much easier. Training will be easier, you'll prob work harder and it should keep motivation higher as harder to slack off etc
                              I found getting most simple watch worked best. no gadgets/garmins etc. Simple stopwatch that you could do intervals on and that's it.
                              A good few friends did marathon last year and ran the long miles in own time(1 ran 2.46) and combined it with the 400m and 200m repeats we do to improve speed in training sessions
                              Last edited by ormond lad; 14th-January-2014, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                              X