The new Pope is sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Pope is sound

No longer a practising member of his church, but I must say that I'm more and more impressed by the actions of the new pontiff. Sorry if there's already a dedicated Pope thread.

From Eircom's Web page

Pope Francis has broken with papal protocol once again,inviting a friend for a spin in his popemobile.

Fabian Baez, a priest from Francis' hometown in BuenosAires, did not have a VIP ticket for the pope's weekly general audience. But assoon as Francis saw him in the crowd, the pope signaled for the Vatican guardsto help him jump the barricade and approach.

Francis then invited him to hop aboard, and Father Baezaccompanied Francis on his tour through St. Peter's Square as the pope waved towell-wishers and kissed babies handed up to him.

He said he was shocked by Francis' invitation: "I saidto myself 'What am I doing here? Mamma mia!"'
    Con Artist

Of course he's sound, he's a Chemical Engineer

Comment

Alternatively, "the new pope, and the unprecedented resignation of the last one, are a neat line drawn under an exceptionally unpleasant and still unresolved period of the Church's history to convince people that it's change all round".

I'll believe he's different when he's handing child rapists over to the police.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

It's all a front. The pope may be a decent bloke but the Papacy is pure evil. When they sell their gold, statues and paintings to compensate the tens of thousands of abuse victims, the HIV infected men, women and children, the gay and trans people who have been denied their rights, the children taken from their mothers, the women who were used for slave labour, the women maimed for their sexual impurity, the children beaten and terrified in schools and when they say these people are far more deserving of a place in heaven than the people who inflicted those horrors on them I'll have some time for the church. Until then this is just a pleasant face on a body of evil.

Even if Francis doesn't do that, he could at least show some moral courage and reform the teachings of the church by Papal Decree because at the moment this is just a man showing kindness, not the Pope teaching kindness.
        I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

.....and when he Instructs his Bishops how to behave rather than advising them as the last man did. ( he is, after all God's representative on Earth)

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
            .....and when he Instructs his Bishops how to behave rather than advising them as the last man did. ( he is, after all God's representative on Earth)
            "The thing is, God is keen that we implement less of a command and control structure, and empower more out of the box thinking to drive innovations on the spiritual paradigm going forward".
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

As Jim Royle would say "Yer Aaaaarse"

Comment

Jeez those comments on the church being child rapists is a bit over the top. Its a myth that the church is full of child abusers considering that somewhere in the range of hundreds social workers under the employment of the British government were fired for inappropriate contact just with children but still people accuse the church of the worst child abusing institution that has ever existed. Sure the church has screwed morality preaching for the poor from palaces but don't make it out like all they do is abuse children.
                "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."

Comment

You're right Wolfhound. The church has a wide investment portfolio in the evils market.
                  I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

I think Buceph's point was that unlike other organisations, when accusations of Molestation of children were made against Priests, the first reaction of the Church was to protect itself.

It is beyond my comprehension that members of the Catholic Hierarchy could behave in such a manner, seeming to forget the Church's teaching that:
                    • eventually everyone will have to give an account of their behaviour to God.
                    • " whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." ( Matthew 18:6 King James Bible)
                    Last edited by Piquet; 8th-January-2014, 22:24. Reason: typos

Comment

That was part of it, but child abuse is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the church. They have preached and practised hate that goes far beyond child abuse and have no shame in doing it.

Edit: And to make it clear. I have no issue with individuals having faith, I generally don't have issues with parish priests who mostly try and care for the their parishioners. My problem is with a body that has a power that dwarves most government's who actively strive to make the world worse off, either through ignorance or malice.
                      Last edited by Buceph; 8th-January-2014, 17:06.

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that the authorities in the UK didn't let the abusers continue to work for them.

Having said that I know there are good people working in the church. I just wish they were good people who didn't believe in a fairy story.

Slight deviation from the OP, but I am constantly amazed by how many of my friends at home have lost faith yet continue to get their kids baptised, first holy communion etc.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Thought it worth quoting a key phrase from your post Wolfhound, in order to demonstrate one of the core differences between the church and the rest of the world.

Originally posted by Wolfhound98 View Post
                          social workers under the employment of the British government were fired for inappropriate contact just with children
                          Of course, one would hope/expect that anyone having inappropriate contact with children would not just be fired from any position they hold which might bring them into contact with children, but also be reported to the authorities, prosecuted and sentenced appropriately.
                          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

He thinks he's Anthony Quinn.
                            I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
                            HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfhound98 View Post
                              Jeez those comments on the church being child rapists is a bit over the top. Its a myth that the church is full of child abusers considering that somewhere in the range of hundreds social workers under the employment of the British government were fired for inappropriate contact just with children but still people accuse the church of the worst child abusing institution that has ever existed. Sure the church has screwed morality preaching for the poor from palaces but don't make it out like all they do is abuse children.
                              Unfortunately it's not even mildly overblown. The Catholic Church - to the very top of its hierarchy - covered up, and effectively facilitated, widespread child sex abuse.

The Church itself estimates that roughly 5% of its clergy had sexual contact with minors over the last half century. When the Church found out, they moved them and pressed the victims into silence.

It is, without contest, the largest scale vehicle for child sex abuse that has yet been brought to light.

And the new Pope, for all his liberal statements and apparent media touch, has done **** all about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X