Limerick City of Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
    First Irish City of culture? Pretty sure Cork was European City of Culture a few years back?
    The clue is in the title. Irish City of Culture, European City of Culture.
    A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Surely we could have found a better use for €6 million in the current climate.

I am sure the Vincent de Paul could have put it to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
        Surely we could have found a better use for €6 million in the current climate.

I am sure the Vincent de Paul could have put it to good use.
        Done properly it shouldn't be a cost. Events, tourism, boosts to infrastructure - the legacy of these sort of events, from this up to the Olympics, should be realisable.

Never seems to happen though.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

The artistic director walked out because he wanted to spend 1.8 million of a 6 million budget on 1 event.
          clowns

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
            It should have been free. It was a municipal event and therefore it is wrong to charge admission. Bet the usual bunch of decision makers promoted way above their level of competence were their with their families and they didn't have to queue for Pomade.
            I bought my tickets and didn't bother with the sauce as the queuing and organisation was pathetic, a free event would have every scobe for miles around in a small area for a televised event, it would have been even worse that it was. I met a friend who gave me a pass to get in to the city hall during the event (to use a clean bog) and only the people performing were being looked after, I didn't see the usual heads hanging around.

Comment

It all smacks of self serving individuals that get attracted like Vultures to decaying carcass!!!!! Most of these twits want to soak up as much as this 6.6 Million as they can with little regard for promoting the City its people or leave a legacy of a fantastic year! One suitable example....Limerick Institute of Technology run a Business and Event Management course and some of the students contacted the individuals running the so called Limerick City of Culture with a view to work placements for the section of their course that requires deployment to Industry.....Curt reply was....NO WE WILL NOT BE HIRING OR USING SUCH RESOURCES FROM LIT./.... FFS, Lots of this work and placement is for no cost or minimal expense.........immediately turned me off and have not been surprised by this Debacle! But then again I suppose they are overstocked with ability in the Event management area......or else they have promised their friends a FAT PAYCHECK!!!!

Comment

If any of ye are interested in hearing what was said at the meeting see below.

http://eireleaks.wordpress.com/2014/...eeting-030114/
                The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by abbeyboatman View Post
                  It all smacks of self serving individuals that get attracted like Vultures to decaying carcass!!!!! Most of these twits want to soak up as much as this 6.6 Million as they can with little regard for promoting the City its people or leave a legacy of a fantastic year! One suitable example....Limerick Institute of Technology run a Business and Event Management course and some of the students contacted the individuals running the so called Limerick City of Culture with a view to work placements for the section of their course that requires deployment to Industry.....Curt reply was....NO WE WILL NOT BE HIRING OR USING SUCH RESOURCES FROM LIT./.... FFS, Lots of this work and placement is for no cost or minimal expense.........immediately turned me off and have not been surprised by this Debacle! But then again I suppose they are overstocked with ability in the Event management area......or else they have promised their friends a FAT PAYCHECK!!!!
                  Was wondering what Joe & Josefine Citizen in Limerick make of the whole thing?
                  Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by abbeyboatman View Post
                    ... or maybe not ...
                    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
                      Was wondering what Joe & Josefine Citizen in Limerick make of the whole thing?
                      Wearisome.

Its badly managed thus far and its not even a week into the year.

It was supposed to be an opportunity to showcase a city trying to alter its former image but so far, its not helping one jot.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

I think it was Brendan Behan who said that when something was being set up in Ireland the first item on the agenda should be the split

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE: CEO has resigned.
                        Last edited by Arthur Guinness; 5th-January-2014, 15:54.
                        The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

City of Culture your havin a larf.
                          Ryan falls in her sword.
                          http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...ture-1.1644899
                          We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                          Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Was she getting 6 grand a month as stated previously or 120 grand a year as stated by the Times?

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              Was she getting 6 grand a month as stated previously or 120 grand a year as stated by the Times?
                              My understanding is that Conn Murray, the City/County manager, says 6,600euro per month, whereas differing media outlets have said 120,000, 140,000 and 150,000. Artistic Director was on 65,000 euro per year.
                              To sort out what from whatever, the following information would help but we are hardly likely to be told:
                              1. The terms and conditions upon which Wallace was hired. TBH, I was underwhelmed when hearing of his appointment as his prior experience did not include anything on the scale of the Year of Culture - running the Belltable and then Siamsa Ciarrai in Tralee (both very excellent but tbh smallish establishments is hardly the training for this. Was he told what the eventual budget would cover by way of hiring staff or spending funds. The nub of his complaints (as he has yet to be interviewed publicly we must accept the various statements made) seems to be that he needed 4 more outreach officers and an education officer. That would be on top of himself as Artistic Director, Mangan as 'international officer' and McGrath as 'community/outreach'. That seems like a huge staff for this event when so much voluntary qualified and experienced-on-the-ground help is available. See post above about rejected offer from LIT students. How come the salary of the CEO was much higher than the artistic director? She was previously on 700 per day as a 'consultant'. The lack of respect for public money in this country is infuriating. Will Ryan and Wallace, both resigned, be given parachute payments?
                              2. Is it true that Wallace wanted to spend 1.8 million of the 6 million budget on a single weekends activity by the French puppetry group Royal Deluxe as alleged by McEnery of the Board?
                              3. Shortt (a clown though not a purposeful one like brother Pat) has alleged that Wallace had a positive performance review and was available for a review in December whereas Cox says that Wallace stated he would not be available for such a review. Who is telling the truth? Who appointed Shortt spokesman for 'the artistic community' in Limerick? There is no single 'artistic community' of course, just those who were on the inside in this thing. As for the administration side......gross incompetence and jobbery. Thought that the hiring policies of the Regeneration would have taught lessons about this kind of thing.
                              4. Why was the chaotic NYE event sunbed out to an outside company if there was a full time professional group in place? My ticket stub for the event says : Dublin NYE 2013. In common with many people, having been confused by the ballsup over the midnight countdown, I left the area without being aware that The Strypes were coming on stage at 12.20. No announcements to that effect were made that were audible.
                              5. Was Ryan appointed as CEO to rein in Wallace and reclaim the Boards control over the events? If so, it was an abject failure.

The net result is no Artistic Director and no CEO. Grand so, let the events begin as planned and appoint someone who has run something like a long running event - Ollie Jennings or Padraig Breathnach, outsiders to Limerick though Irish, who started Galway Arts Festival would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                                120k over the 18 months of her contract
                                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                                X