Limerick City of Culture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limerick City of Culture

Couldn't find a thread on this already so decided to start one, particularly in the light of the resignations earlier today.
    Here's RTE's report. There was more on Arena earlier this evening on radio1
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0102/495...-city-culture/
    “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Typical Limerick - always guaranteed to row and back-stab (pardon term). We've got to get on with it now - only 363 days of culture left! The NYE Fireworks were excellent but too short - it's going to be hard to please everyone so let's focus on the events and the city and keep the show on the road.
    I'm really looking forward to Riverdance

Comment

So it's the Pat Cox Show. The man who'll put the K in culture. His crony gets the top job and runs it to suit herself because I guess, no one really gives a ****e about Limerick or culture. So why let it get in the way of a career advancement opportunity for the unemployed middle class. On a top wedge too no doubt.
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...igns-1.1641819

The artistic director of Limerick City of Culture has quit just two days into the city’s reign as Ireland’s first national city of culture.

Speculation that Karl Wallace, who was appointed to the position last March, was planning to resign was rife in recent weeks. However, the London-born former chief executive has not yet commented publicly on the reasons for his departure.

“He has tendered his resignation but will not be issuing a statement until today,” a source said.

It has also emerged that Jo Mangan and Maeve McGrath, two non-staff programmers, contracted to provide services during Limerick City of Culture, have also written letters indicating their intention to withdraw from the project.

Limerick City of Culture was unavailable for comment last night.
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

3 days into the project and this happens. Not looking good for the rest of the year.....
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Apparently himself and the new director don't see eye to eye. Also seems he has the support of most of the artistic team. Looking like a political cluster **** just when limerick could have benefited from the media attention.
            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
              Apparently himself and the new director don't see eye to eye. Also seems he has the support of most of the artistic team. Looking like a political cluster **** just when limerick could have benefited from the media attention.
              Of course he does, alot of them are benefiting from the 'awarding' of projects for the year. Pat Cox wasn't the only person giving jobs to those they knew.
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

The New Years eve countdown happened late and the Bar and Toilet set up on the night was brutal, 45 mins to get a pint, a real poorly organised event, then it comes out the artistic director of the overall event had no input in the 1st event of the whole thing, at least he resigned.

Pat Cox's former assistant gets a top job, Conn Murrays Best man and a Grooms man get jobs.

The really bad thing about these guys giving their mates plum jobs (rightly or wrongly) is that money that would have been given to Limerick/Local companies for anything connected to the event will have to be justified unnecessarily now and may end up going outside the area now.

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                  Limerick is benefitting. I couldn't see really anything in the national media leading up to NYE about Limerick - it was mostly about some concert on College Green, Dublin.

Now people know Limerick is the City of Culture. The row is symbolic of Limerick's recent history - messy, fights, political rows.

Let the Year begin!
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

No. It's not a symbol of anything. It's old fashioned graft. Is the CEO the best person for the job? As there was no adverts or interview for the job we'll never know. How did she get the €6, 600 a month job? Pat Cox gave it to her because she's a mate.
                    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                      No. It's not a symbol of anything. It's old fashioned graft. Is the CEO the best person for the job? As there was no adverts or interview for the job we'll never know. How did she get the €6, 600 a month job? Pat Cox gave it to her because she's a mate.
                      That's the easy assumption. You may be right, but I don't think you are.
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                        Of course he does, alot of them are benefiting from the 'awarding' of projects for the year. Pat Cox wasn't the only person giving jobs to those they knew.
                        If you know of someone who got a job in an underhand manner then share it with us please. There is enough of gossip doing the rounds already.

Comment

Originally posted by leftwinger View Post
                          If you know of someone who got a job in an underhand manner then share it with us please. There is enough of gossip doing the rounds already.
                          You only have to look at the list of projects grant aided for the year. Many of them are existing projects (ie. already running, have run over the past years, in some sort of way) a lot of LSAD alumni and former arts students and Creative Limerick projects funded. Jobs for the culture vultures of Limerick.

No feedback or notification given to those who submitted applications, just full list of those 'lucky' to get a grant award
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

What was your application for?
                            A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by leftwinger View Post
                              It is quite clear this woman got the position in an underhand manner:

In an interview published in The Irish Examiner however, Wallace has complained that his team has been “sidelined in key decisions about how the programme should be delivered”. He complained of a breakdown of communication between his team and the chief executive of the year-long event Patricia Ryan.
                              Ryan was a assistant to Cox while he was an MEP and also worked for Cox’s Progressive Democrat colleague Mary Harney while she was in government. She has no specific experience of working within the arts sector.
                              Speaking on Limerick 95fm however, Cox denied that their previsions work together had any bearing on her appointment to the position and said that her position was a management role completely separate to the artistic functions of the event:
                              “Patricia Ryan has no artistic function in this matter, Patricia Ryan is management to the project but the artistic side has never been her management or expertise.”
                              The city manager conducted a series of interviews with people other than Patricia Ryan in regards to that post and in terms of availability and in terms of being in Limerick on immediate call. With regard to those circumstances that choice was made.
                              Cox says that his only involvement in the process of Ryan’s appointment was in chairing the meeting of the board when she was unanimously chosen.

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-ci...46559-Jan2014/

State funding of €6m has been approved by the Government for the year of culture. The appointment of Mr Cox’s former European Parliament assistant, Patricia Ryan, as chief executive on Nov 4, without the post being advertised has previously been strongly criticised.

Ms Ryan admitted she had no experience of cultural management or working in the arts industry.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archive...os-254131.html
                              "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X