Big Brother

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brother

Yet another element of Big Brother eroding privacy. Perhaps could be a data security thread too, but this lept out at me as something I hadn't previously considered. Re: when travelling with a laptop:
    "The UK government meanwhile has the right to suck all the data from a device and store it when people enter and leave the country"

Wow. I'll consider this when travelling with family photos, personal correspondence, financial matters etc etc all stuck in th machine. Storage space is ever increasing and it's mind boggling the volume of data that is portable now. But this seems clearly different from "well if you have nothing to hide, what's the problem?" To potentially massive privacy invasion and potential massive data theft! Really!?!? Copy everything!?!? What also strikes me is that anyone with anything to hide and a half a brain wouldn't be travelling with it on a laptop? Now I have also to be wary of completely innocent, but personal or sensitive content being copied by airport security people (who have never had a gleaming reputation for total integrity within their ranks to say the least)
    What about data protection legislation! ? What if you had confidential stuff about other people? I work with loads of confidential stuff about other people and also regularly deal with FOI requests and Data Protection Act stuff. I would never take it out of the office, but what if someone had to fly for some investigation or go to some court or something etc etc...?

Surely it shouldn't be legal for capricious and arbitrary grabbing of data off travellers !?
    http://www.independent.ie/business/t...-29878728.html

Oh.

http://mobile.tiredofit.ca/2010/12/2...ion-traveling/

http://www.computerweekly.com/featur...business-trips
    Last edited by No. 16; 1st-January-2014, 10:52.

Comment

Would certainly encourage you to encrypt everything.
      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Get a VPN. Good ones will also have a few exit points so you can watch Hulu, BBC iPlayer etc. And also get your own cloud storage .. I have a WD cloud yoke attached to my network which backs up mobile photos.

Companies are whores for taking data though ... Guarantee you that stalkbook has copied your phonebook to it's servers already. Android 4.4 also tries to auto upload all your photos to Google as well.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I'm hip to all that jazz. But do you store highly sensitive confidential data in "the cloud" or do you encrypt it inside the hardware and then give the encryption password to the border control wanker with a gun who was beat up in school and now wants to copy the entire contents of the storage...or else!
          ? See the dilema?
          The hidden layer idea will only work so long....

Comment

Originally posted by No. 16 View Post
            I'm hip to all that jazz. But do you store highly sensitive confidential data in "the cloud" or do you encrypt it inside the hardware and then give the encryption password to the border control wanker with a gun who was beat up in school and now wants to copy the entire contents of the storage...or else!
            ? See the dilema?
            The hidden layer idea will only work so long....
            Surely it can't be that bad when you go to the States? I have only been once - pre 9/11 - so maybe they are more insufferable now.

Comment

I really don't look forward to ever visiting that country while the shadow of "the war on terror" still lies over it. Land of the free my bolix
              The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
              - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                Surely it can't be that bad when you go to the States? I have only been once - pre 9/11 - so maybe they are more insufferable now.
                Post 9-11 travel to the US will not resemble in the slightest bit what you had experienced. I don't know now. I haven't traveled there in over 4 years and never with a laptop. The article explicitly mentioned UK authorities having the right to "suck all the data from a device and store it." There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of border authorities demanding encryption passwords all over the world. I never had a problem with customs or security people really in the US. I have all the horror stories about the immigration people. Having the border crossing located in Shannon was so much less stressful, but even still not completely smooth sailing!

The point is about these accounts of seemingly capricious and arbitrary browsing of your computer, reading your email, and copying your content....
                Last edited by No. 16; 3rd-January-2014, 11:01.

Comment

It's an interesting debate. In the tubes in London, there are ads for (I think) the Economist ... One saying that they only look at about 16% of traffic, and because of the snooping have stopped numerous terrorist attacks ... The other saying that basically it is big brother.

I can see both sides of the debate.

In some bizarre way, it reminds me of those militia men in Montana who bear arms in case the govt takes too many liberties.

I'm not advocating that we all go around armed, but it is getting just a little ridiculous.

Comment

I keep my work laptop empty of data. Everything accessed by vpn or citrix. Easier to rebuild and no real security concerns although it is also encrypted just in case. There have been some interesting conversations on local and eu privacy laws vs border controls requiring access to data. Needs a test case to see where international law stands on it
                    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Working...
                    X