Xmas recommendations: Mobile phones & tarriffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 17 year old daughter wants a new mobile phone. Currently she's on pre pay at €20 month. She wants a good phone for facebook, twitter, texts etc but isn't that interested in roaming, calls and so on.

I have a company phone so don't really know the market. I have heard are scare stories about contracts that limit network access and then charge extortionate amounts for those who exceed their limits.

What I want to know is is anyone actually happy to recommend theor contract? How much is it and what kind of phone can you expect?

All advice welcome.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

I think that is similar to asking us to recommend the friendliest, least damaging crocodile. However, our daughter, though younger is on the Tesco pay as you go and for the year she gets double. i.e she tops up by 10 and she gets 10 euro free and so on up the scale. Can't really argue with that.

Though I believe the best tarriff out there is Meteor...if it works in your locality. Their age group doesn't need phone or text, they want data and they can communicate through things like viber etc. that just uses data. So they take the 10 euro top up which gives free meteor texts +60 mb of date and then choose and add on of 1gb for 9.99 per month.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

You might want to consider this SIM-free - seems quite a positive review, although obviously it's worth doing more research into it.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

You should check this out, it's a bargain, SIM free and high quality. €220 including delivery from Spain. My uncle and sister both have one, and having played with it I'm very impressed.

http://www.bqreaders.com/gb/products/aquaris-5.html

She should stay away from contracts and check out:

http://www.48months.ie
        "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Looking at contracts myself as my contract is up with vodafone at the moment. Any good deals to be recommended?
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
            Looking at contracts myself as my contract is up with vodafone at the moment. Any good deals to be recommended?
            In the same boat myself and looking worthwhile in the long run to buy a Sim free phone and go with a Sim only plan. 3 are the best for €20.33 monthly and unlimited data. Meteor offer a €30 4G plan with 1gb data

of course if you're happy with your phone as it is, it makes sense to switch to a sim only plan asap. Contracts are only for 30 days as well so you're able so search out phones after that
            Last edited by Sulla; 15th-November-2013, 11:56.
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

With emobile myself on their unlimited sim only plan. €32 a month with unlimited texts, unlimited calls to mobiles, unlimited calls to landlines and 15Gb's of data.
              \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

Morning all, mrs chips is on the lookout for a replacement for her Nokia 6303, which is finally starting to give up the ghost - dropping calls, prompting her about voicemails she has already deleted, etc. She hemmed & hawed about smartphones for a bit but is nevertheless still leaning towards something basic which has buttons as opposed to a touchscreen and whose primary purpose is to make phone calls and send texts. Quaint in this day & age I know! If the 6303 wasn't causing problems she'd happily keep using it forever, I reckon. She's not interested in mobile broadband, 4G, browsing or any of that. She's not after a contract either, just a SIM-free phone (in any case we're based in the north so contract deals from Meteor et al won't be any good to her). So - cheap & cheerful, robust & reliable are the key words here. Any help/advice would be appreciated, especially as it would then hand me the moral high ground of having bought her a Christmas present this year after all ... :p
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Why not pick up a 6310i from ebay or a phone reseller?
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Otherhalf signed up for an O2 / hse scheme sim only €16 a month unlimited texts and calls. No data mind but as the other half mentioned what would she want with data....
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                      Why not pick up a 6310i from ebay or a phone reseller?
                      I'll put it on the list!
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Get her a blackberry.
                        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                          Otherhalf signed up for an O2 / hse scheme sim only €16 a month unlimited texts and calls. No data mind but as the other half mentioned what would she want with data....
                          I'd look into that McCloud. There are similar O2 corporate plans around that are cheaper e.g. €13.50 p/m (ex vat) unlimited irish calls and texts to any network or landline, some data included, 700mb add on for €8. You'll never come close to half of that data if you're normally around wifi. Spouses welcome meaning if you make a couple brief international calls and texts and a couple directory enquiries and a couple 1890 calls (always look for the dublin number that is free) - you're talking appx €60 p/m all in for 2 people texting and talking and Googling away like mad! The drawback is no free upgrades. Basically /roughly you have to pay €200+ for €500+ handsets is the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                          X