It's Cold and my Boiler has stopped working - HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Cold and my Boiler has stopped working - HELP

I have a Logic 30 combi Boiler. In the house there are a mix of old rads and new. The old ones had never been bled, as they have the old style square valve and I never had the right tool for it. I finally got the right tool but now wish I hadn't!

I bled 3 of the 4 old style rads without incident, some of them had quite a bit of air in them. The last of the 4 was always the coldest, when I attempted to bleed it I found air came out but no water ever did. It just kept on letting out air until it stopped.

I went back downstairs only to find that the heating had seemingly turned off. Upon looking it was showing error code F - 1 which means low pressure. sure enough the gauge is at zero. We have no hot water and no heating.

I followed the fairly easy instructions to attach the filler loop and re-pressurise, but it is not working. There is no movement on the gauge.

I have two black taps on the right, one front and one back, and two blue on the left, one front and one back. The manual makes it look as though it is only the two front ones (one blue and one black) to be turned and this should repressure, but there is no reaction no matter the combinations I try.

There is water getting through into the filler loop, I know because I attempted to remove it while the valve was open and got a nice splash of water for my trouble.

Any ideas?

Get a good plumber. I'd imagine it's a minor issue.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

The water coming back through the loop could be pressure from the highest point in the house, might not be the mains. There sometimes is a tap off the mains going to the filling loop. Could this be shut off?

Comment

Plumber is the best bet at this stage.
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Might be useful for you.

http://www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/ideal-logic-combi-30-pressure-loss.358616/

I hope you get sorted.
          The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
          Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by bugler View Post
            I have a Logic 30 combi Boiler. In the house there are a mix of old rads and new. The old ones had never been bled, as they have the old style square valve and I never had the right tool for it. I finally got the right tool but now wish I hadn't!

I bled 3 of the 4 old style rads without incident, some of them had quite a bit of air in them. The last of the 4 was always the coldest, when I attempted to bleed it I found air came out but no water ever did. It just kept on letting out air until it stopped.

I went back downstairs only to find that the heating had seemingly turned off. Upon looking it was showing error code F - 1 which means low pressure. sure enough the gauge is at zero. We have no hot water and no heating.

I followed the fairly easy instructions to attach the filler loop and re-pressurise, but it is not working. There is no movement on the gauge.

I have two black taps on the right, one front and one back, and two blue on the left, one front and one back. The manual makes it look as though it is only the two front ones (one blue and one black) to be turned and this should repressure, but there is no reaction no matter the combinations I try.

There is water getting through into the filler loop, I know because I attempted to remove it while the valve was open and got a nice splash of water for my trouble.

Any ideas?
            If you have water pressure coming into the filling loop, I'm wondering if there's a problem with the loop itself. Is the tap definitely opening when you turn it? I.e. is the tap handle twisting without turning the ball inside. Also is there a checkvalve on the receiving side of the loop? If you've never topped the system up before, it's possible the valve has fecked up and isn't letting water through. Either way it'll be a new filling loop you'll need.

Just for blind chances. Open the taps as per the manual, and tap the checkvalve with a hammer. I emphasise the word TAP. just tap away at it for a minute and you never know, it might free it up enough for the spring inside it to do it's job.

Comment

Are you in Dublin where the water is off or reduced pressure?
              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                Are you in Dublin where the water is off or reduced pressure?
                Is the water really off?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                  Is the water really off?
                  We have reduced pressure but I don't know about others. Once you fill up the kettle then there isn't much downstairs mains water gets used after 8pm and the upstairs is running off the tank. It would be the restaurants and bars I guess would know best.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                    We have reduced pressure but I don't know about others. Once you fill up the kettle then there isn't much downstairs mains water gets used after 8pm and the upstairs is running off the tank. It would be the restaurants and bars I guess would know best.
                    Yeah but according to the powers that be there'll all supposed to have their own 24hr back up supply of water.
                    Good idea telling them when its too late!

Just another stunt to highlight the pay for water agenda if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                      Yeah but according to the powers that be there'll all supposed to have their own 24hr back up supply of water.
                      Good idea telling them when its too late!

Just another stunt to highlight the pay for water agenda if you ask me
                      Have they not thought about how you go about that? Do you store it until it's stagnant or do you replenish it every other night. Great idea on saving water.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - yes I am in Dublin but the pressure wasn't a factor, seemingly. Local plumber (also near enough neighbour) came out and it turns out one of the valves was dodgy. So a gold star for flatpass, even if his suggestion of tapping didn't resolve it! I tried.

Fair play to the plumber, he didn't even charge.

Comment

By the way, our week without central heating really gave us an appreciation of the comforts many of us take for granted. Similarly a few years ago we lost our water supply and had to wash in a bucket with boiled water, and by god the shower coming back a week later nearly drew tears :-)

As a means to regain appreciation for the simple things in life I look on both these outages as positives. My father grew up washing in a steel basin in the yard - we're coddled really.

Comment

Working...
                          X