Washington D.C.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington D.C.

Heading to New York at the end of the month and will take in Washington as well for two nights. I believe there's quite a bit to see there and two nights may not do it justice.

So....anyone have any tips/advice/recommendations/must sees for a short stay in D.C. ?

Thanks

Old Ebbit Grill - eat reasonably around the corner from the white house.

Tour of congress - free and can be arranged in advance

If midweek and the strike is over visit the museums on the mall

Arlington cemetery, Lincoln Memorial

Walk/cycle around georgetown and then go for dinner.

Comment

Smithsonian Museums are class, as is the metro system.
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I was going to start a similar thread as I (along with a few other MF's) are heading to New York & Washington in about a weeks time.

Anything outside of the usual to see in New York, & any tips on where to catch the Glasgow/Munster & Munster/Ospreys matches will be deeply appreciated.

Fingers crossed the shutdown will have ended & the museums are open.

Comment

For DC, I am thinking the open top tour bus will hit all the must sees, then maybe look on trip advisor for some of the hidden gem stuff,

we have 3 nights in DC
          The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Visit the White House (think you need to book in advance) We had a contact on the VPs staff and got west wing tour, oval office etc etc. Was savage!

Go to Bens Chilli Bowl.

Go to the air and space museum. Awesome stuff there.

That's what I enjoyed anyway.

I can get more suggestions if you like? Mrs Masterchiefs sister and her husband live there.
            Last edited by masterchief; 15th-October-2013, 22:27.
            "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Drick View Post
              I was going to start a similar thread as I (along with a few other MF's) are heading to New York & Washington in about a weeks time.

Anything outside of the usual to see in New York, & any tips on where to catch the Glasgow/Munster & Munster/Ospreys matches will be deeply appreciated.

Fingers crossed the shutdown will have ended & the museums are open.
              For DC there's an Irish bar on Du Pont circle (can't remember the name) that should be showing the game.

Edit, James Hobans bar is the place. Drop them a mail.
              "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

The White House is closed for tours for the foreseeable future. Even before the budget shutdown stuff
                The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Not sure if the ice hockey is in while your there but if it is, try and head along. Think last time I was there we went to a game on he Friday night, some great bars and places to eat around there too.
                  head to an espn bar as well and max out on sport for a night.
                  the museums, tour of congess, the mall, all class. Metro system is brilliant. The train station is a super building just to visit, not far from Capitol Hill either.

Comment

I'd second smithsonian. Drove around pentagon too for a look but it's pretty unimpressive at ground level. If your driving watch the speed limits. Very low around parts of the main thoroughfare
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by fullback15 View Post
                      Heading to New York at the end of the month and will take in Washington as well for two nights. I believe there's quite a bit to see there and two nights may not do it justice.

So....anyone have any tips/advice/recommendations/must sees for a short stay in D.C. ?

Thanks
                      We'll see you there! You lucky fullback, you...
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

See, if you're part of the clique you get to jet off to the sort of foreign tax haven where corrupt businesses hide their ill-gotten gains.

(Have fun!)
                        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

The Smithsonians fantastic, congress is a must do especially the train ride from the Russell building. A pint in the Mayflower used to be an experience but for some ridiculous reason they closed the bar and turned into a Thomas Pink.
                          We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                          Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

http://content.time.com/time/travel/...852344,00.html

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/09/0...washington-dc/

http://www.sdparanormal.com/articles/article/1961531/123609.htm

http://infactcollaborative.com/place...-dc-facts.html
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Air & Space Museum is fantastic - but there are 2 of them.

There is one downtown handy for the sights there and another location out near Dulles airport with the really big stuff in it - a Space Shuttle, Enola Gay B29, a 747...

You can certainly spend the best part of a day visiting sights, memorials (if they are open...) and museums downtown and I found hiring a bike a good way to get around as there is a bit of a walk between many places.

I thought Bens Chilli Bowl was a bit meh, myself...

Comment

Working...
                              X