Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cougar Moon
    replied
    Gp's may decide not to opt in to the u5 scheme. http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1021/481...-fives-scheme/

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by busby View Post
    Says the man who bases his economic predictions on how busy he thinks the traffic is.

By the way, I'm hearing breakfast rolls are flying out the door these days, that's probably number one of your economic crystal ball calculator.
    Yeah, lets destroy the successful people who create jobs, great idea, unfortunately Ireland is already doing this very, very successfully

Leave a comment:

• Miguel Sanchez
    replied
    Originally posted by glorob View Post
    But we have PRSI which is meant to be Pay Related Social Insurance....

Supposed to be is right. It's just another form of tax, as is the USC.

Leave a comment:

• masterchief
    replied
    There is a very poor mentality in Ireland around paying tax, probably one of the worst in the western world I would say, certainly in Europe.
    The Greeks might have a thing or two to say about that.....

I think the poor attitude to tax is because so much of it is wasted, "better in my pocket because the government will just piss it away/pay bondholders"

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    A few Frenchies that I know think it is widely abused e.g. if you are a tradesman, work for 9 months and then claim your 3 months at 90% of your previous wage.

Apparently some people do it year after year ....

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by glorob View Post
    But we have PRSI which is meant to be Pay Related Social Insurance.

When it started out benefits were related to your pay up to a limit if I recall correctly. However over time all benefits have become flat rate. These days only what you pay is related to what you earn.
    True, but the contribution required for a 70-80% salary return is well beyond what most people invest in that sort of protection.

Leave a comment:

• glorob
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    It's selling it at the polling booth though. It would be a sensible policy, as would running govt surplus. Neither is going to get anyone elected.
    But we have PRSI which is meant to be Pay Related Social Insurance.

When it started out benefits were related to your pay up to a limit if I recall correctly. However over time all benefits have become flat rate. These days only what you pay is related to what you earn.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    It's selling it at the polling booth though. It would be a sensible policy, as would running govt surplus. Neither is going to get anyone elected.

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    They pay for it though. Around 6% of income was the figure I heard for the French scheme. Not an inconsiderable sum if you go through your life without claiming.
    Well, it is technically insurance. It would be no different to insuring you're house for 50 years and it never getting flooded/burning down. You're paying for the security of it too. When you look at what proportion of our tax take is going on Social Welfare I don't think we're too far off the 6% figure ourselves. Perhaps if you didn't claim throughout your working life you could use it as credit for your pension.

Generally, I'd be in favour of a better "get what you pay for" approach to social insurance in particular. There is a very poor mentality in Ireland around paying tax, probably one of the worst in the western world I would say, certainly in Europe. If there was a tangible benefit to paying more social insurance, it might encourage black market workers or people not declaring earnings to declare earnings and pay into it. It's a fairer approach.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    A lot of European Countries have a system where what you get when you sign on is based on what you were earning over a length of time/ what social insurance you were paying. You can start claiming back close to what you were earning when you first sign on, and this slides down to a standard base rate over a number of months. Would make total sense.
    They pay for it though. Around 6% of income was the figure I heard for the French scheme. Not an inconsiderable sum if you go through your life without claiming.

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    Originally posted by Valencia View Post
    I think that France has something like this model?
    A lot of European Countries have a system where what you get when you sign on is based on what you were earning over a length of time/ what social insurance you were paying. You can start claiming back close to what you were earning when you first sign on, and this slides down to a standard base rate over a number of months. Would make total sense.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Valencia View Post
    Bar buying into the notion that reducing welfare payments "encourages" people into work.

It has a system where you're paid a percentage of your last salary, and that eventually reduces to a standard welfare payment.

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Nice rant busby, complete tosh, but good for a laugh
    Says the man who bases his economic predictions on how busy he thinks the traffic is.

By the way, I'm hearing breakfast rolls are flying out the door these days, that's probably number one of your economic crystal ball calculator.

Leave a comment:

• Valencia
    replied
    Originally posted by Eamo View Post
    Rather than cut dole for recent graduates (and encourage emigration of young educated folks) it should be cut for those in receipt of it for a long uninterrupted period (say 5 years) and cut on a sliding scale to discourage a welfare lifestyle. Ditto for other social supports.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Nice rant busby, complete tosh, but good for a laugh

Leave a comment:

Working...
X