Budget 2014: Prepare To Be Astounded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post
    I heard today that 43% of the population have a medical card of some sort! Can anyone provide a logical explanation for that to me?
    What percentage of the population should be entitled to one?
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

I heard today that 43% of the population have a medical card of some sort! Can anyone provide a logical explanation for that to me?
      It looks as though 43% have at least free GP care (whether this equates to a GP Card or medical card, or whether some other category exists I don't know) Some more answers here perhaps:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...imit-1.1564225

One answer seems to be that if you had a chronic/serious medical condition but were quite wealthy you may still get the MC.

I really must spend some time trying to get a handle on this country. I am starting to feel like I am part of a small minority who is stupid enough to work for X or less and pay out for things like medical care. I'd rather not feel that way, obviously. But the number and complexity of allowances and benefits contained in the administrative bones of the state is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
        So does the initial tax paid on micro brewery beers stand at all now? Wasn't that one of the reasons the industry grew when Cowan introduced it? Or do they have to be taxed equally under Eu law?

You can put different excise taxes on breweries dependent on volume production. But you can't tax them differently dependent on country of origin, or influence the price directly.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
          What percentage of the population should be entitled to one?
          Open to debate of course but the CSO says that the % in Risk of Poverty in 2010 was 15.8% and the Deprivation rate was almost 23% so that would be a starting point.

Even allowing for a deterioration of these figures in the period to 2013, I can't rationalise the gap to 43%.
          Last edited by Armin Tamzarian; 17th-October-2013, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            You can put different excise taxes on breweries dependent on volume production. But you can't tax them differently dependent on country of origin, or influence the price directly.
            So it is still possible for a pint of the locally brewed beer to be sold cheaper than an international one and still turn a decent profit? It wasn't that long ago I could get Galway Hooker or something like it for €4 in Dublin. Now you're paying €5.
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Reilly doubtful about sticking to budget
              on 17/10/2013 15:16:30

The Health Minister has hinted that he does not think the Department of Health can stick within its budget for next year.

James Reilly says he was given a target of 113 million euro for medical card cutbacks by central government.

His Department is also expected to lower its pay bill by nearly 270 million euro next year.

Minister Reilly's told an Oireachtas committee he has concerns about the targets:

"This figure of €113m was given to the department by government to achieve," he said.

"I'm frankly speaking concerned around what can be achieved here and I'm concerned what can be achieved around Haddington Road.

(From eircom.net)

Comment

And something like 50% of the country have private health insurance??
                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by redherring View Post
                  So it is still possible for a pint of the locally brewed beer to be sold cheaper than an international one and still turn a decent profit? It wasn't that long ago I could get Galway Hooker or something like it for €4 in Dublin. Now you're paying €5.
                  Paid €5.90 for a bottle in Limerick nearly fainted.
                  We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                  Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Qualification is based on disposable income after all deductions on rent/mortgage/loans/living expenses are taken into account. It's wide open for people to gild the lily in what their outgoings are, with no way for the HSE to actually or accurately check them.
                    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

It's likely that many are given out during a time of unemployment but never taken back later
                      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

I would be interested to see how many of the total numbers of cards were awarded with the (undue) influence of TDs/Ministers. But I'm going to take a stab in the dark that that particular figure isn't available to the HSE.
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

and, of course, those awarded by people such as you describe, TWIB, up to, say, two and a half years ago would definitely have to be reviewed by the current Minister.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                            Reilly doubtful about sticking to budget
                            on 17/10/2013 15:16:30

The Health Minister has hinted that he does not think the Department of Health can stick within its budget for next year.

(From eircom.net)
                            no change there then
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I think those savings could well be made if front line admin staff did their job properly and refused people they should be refusing.

Whatever about politicians that are insulated to these things, how a human being can sit down and physically take away a medical card from a child with down syndrome, or somebody with a serious chronic illness, is just amazing.
                              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

I know this boy and his parents, they cannot get a medical card, they are a young couple, the Minister for Health is a medical doctor, this country is a disgrace.

"Bryn Bailey is a young boy of six years of age from my constituency. When his card expired he was refused the discretionary medical card even though his circumstances were worse than when it was granted. Only on appeal and after ferocious lobbying by public representatives for four months did he even receive the six month emergency card, which is a mere stop gap…

… Young Bryn faces challenges in his young life we can only begin to imagine. Among other things, he suffers from epilepsy, spastic quadric paresis, mitochondriaI disorder, global developmental delay, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, precocious puberty, chronic constipation, hypothermia, microcephaly and right renal calculi.

He has no means of communication, no use of his arms or legs and is wheelchair dependent. His parents have had to make huge sacrifices to support and care for him. He requires 24 hour care seven days per week. His parents are his carers"
                                http://www.thejournal.ie/medical-car...24255-Oct2013/
                                "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X