SUSI what a Foul-up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSI what a Foul-up

SUSI announced this morning they are ahead of last year's schedule for the processing of student grants.

They said here that the system is "running smoothly" they have processed 10,000 out of 40,000 by now.

This means that by now, two weeks into term, 75% of students who applied for a grant have nowt.

According to RTE SUSI "expects this process to be completed by the end of next month." so it will be week seven of a thirteen week term before all student grants will have been approved.

and Ruari Quinn "accepts responsibility" for this? does he ****, If he did, he'd resign.

To address your point about Ruairi Quinn resigning, sometimes, just sometimes, I wish we had repercussions like they have in the UK. You claim illegitimate expenses, you leave.
    I'm under no illusions that it's probablys still one rule for them, one rule for the others in the UK, but just once I'd like to see a high profile Irish politician go through with it.

Comment

There are still 240 students waiting on LAST years grants, SUSI is a cock-up of monumental proportions.
      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
        To address your point about Ruairi Quinn resigning, sometimes, just sometimes, I wish we had repercussions like they have in the UK. You claim illegitimate expenses, you leave.
        I'm under no illusions that it's probablys still one rule for them, one rule for the others in the UK, but just once I'd like to see a high profile Irish politician go through with it.
        It goes through the whole political world in Ireland.

I heard Simon Coveney eat the bollix off a BBC world service reporter the other night when she asked him about the lack of charges for the horsemeat scandal.

Same old same old ...
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Students should pay the full economic cost of their third level education-by borrowing if necessary. Then no need for SUSI and a little more in every taxpayer's pocket.
          I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
          HL Mencken

Comment

You have got to be joking. Which bank would lend €18,000 a year for four years to a working class student?

Even if they did, the student would be left with a debt of the order of €80,000 upon graduation.

How is that graduate expected to pay off the debt while feeding themselves, maybe saving for a house or paying rent and having any decent standard of living on a starting salary of less than half their debt?

Comment

Instead the taxpayer pays? What gives a student the right to legally steal the product of my labour in order to enhance his education and future income. If the student wants to bet on himself, have him do so .
              I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
              HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                You have got to be joking. Which bank would lend €18,000 a year for four years to a working class student?

Even if they did, the student would be left with a debt of the order of €80,000 upon graduation.

How is that graduate expected to pay off the debt while feeding themselves, maybe saving for a house or paying rent and having any decent standard of living on a starting salary of less than half their debt?
                Standard practice in the US, most graduates have huge student loans to pay off
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Hmm.
                  But tuition alone can be 18k p/a in a medium sized / medium reputation school
                  Type in something you might know like "Penn State" (Uni Park) or something smaller that's not a "university" - just a "college"
                  Then type in some Ivy Leagues just for the craic.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/collegecost/collegecost.html

Last edited by No. 16; 27th-September-2013, 16:28.

Comment

The US is not a great system to emulate, whether in relation to healthcare or higher education.

PS Eamo, if you don't like paying tax to the government I'll gladly take a rebate from you on my share of the cost of your schooling, plus any contribution towards the roads you drive on, any protection you may have received from the police, any street lighting under which you have walked at night, the cost of supplying water to any public convenience you've ever used, the maintenance and repair of all of the above and of course any immunisations, preventative or palliative healthcare you received before you started earning enough to pay those bills for yourself.
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Student loans = creation of debt junkies, get them in over their heads in debt before they ever start out in life and keep them that way...that's pure banker talk.
                      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Chips your post represents most of what is wrong about discourse on this forum. No issue can be debated without straw men, personalisations, unfounded assumptions and deviation from topic.

The issue for debate here is whether third level education should be funded by all taxpayers , by the beneficiaries of such education , or by some combination thereof. My views on the limits of government are well known to anyone who reads there forums. I say keep government as small as possible . I advocate for a social safety net, police etc and for government function in areas where such function is most efficient (roads, international agreements etc)

Please try to keep the debate on topic. Is there some right to a third level education which demands it be funded against the wishes of the funder? As an aside , I attended third level in a time when fees were charged and did not avail of any government taxpayer funded subsidies.

We are a broke nation funding the most generous welfare system in Europe - no wonder the smart young folks are hightailing it outa this corrupt kleptocracy .
                        HL Mencken

Comment

Over 80% of students ( in US) pay for College through Federal loans.

ie the taxpayer loans them the money.

An important point is that the contribution of fees to the budget of any good university or college is relatively small, since almost all colleges rely on large amounts of government or philanthropic funding.
                          Two arguments in favor of "free tertiary" education is thats its available to both rich and poor....plus a more educated society generally leads to better lifestyle choices nutrition etc etc..

Given the reality of where we are today ...as it stands..a libertarian policy implemented in the education system...would mean rich kids go and poor kids wouldnt.
                          Its the LP policy that parents should control the funding on their childs education (here in US anyway).
                          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Ah jaysus Eamo, take a chill pill - it was a tongue-in-cheek response to one of your trademark soapbox moments. But if you want a serious answer, my view is the notion that people should be saddled with mortgage-size debts in order to attain third-level qualifications is ludicrous. If we want a more educated, more qualified and more economically productive workforce and society then we have to facilitate that as a society, and the most equitable, least corruptible way to do that is through general taxation. Tertiary education is a common good in which we should be investing, not limiting to those who can rely on the bank of mum and dad or on patronage/cronyism, and thereby decreasing social mobility.

And like yourself, I left school in an era when fees had to be paid and no grants were available. It meant I had to leave the state in order to get my degree, as the cost of tuition was simply unaffordable. I also took five years to get my degree because I took two years out to work and save so that I could support myself in my final year. It meant that it took me an additional two years to become economically active, because the work available to someone with only a Leaving Cert qualification is generally a lot less well-remunerated that that available to graduates and I was limited to effectively a subsistence lifestyle for two years longer than would have been the case had my education been fee-free and grant-maintained.

And if you don't like straw men, why not look up the food chain for the sources of our economic ills, at the financiers and others of their ilk who were more than happy to "bet" on themselves, instead of down at those pesky welfare scroungers for whom sufficient jobs do not exist?

Anyway, that's another (and longer) conversation. Back to the rugby for me.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Eamo View Post
                              The issue for debate here is whether third level education should be funded by all taxpayers , by the beneficiaries of such education or by some combination thereof.
                              It should be funded by the taxpayer and those students or their families who can afford it. Academic high achievers who cannot afford it, should be funded by the taxpayer, who ultimately will benefit from the taxes paid by the graduate.

Originally posted by Eamo View Post
                              Is there some right to a third level education which demands it be funded against the wishes of the funder? As an aside , I attended third level in a time when fees were charged and did not avail of any government taxpayer funded subsidies.
                              By living in this country, you agree, if your income is big enough, to pay taxes to the Government to do with what they want. If some of that expenditure is against your wishes, and you feel strongly enough about it, you have the option of leaving.

If you attended Third-level in this country, then you were subsidised, unless you went to a private third-level college. All publicly-funded Colleges are, and have always been subsidised.
                              Last edited by Piquet; 27th-September-2013, 20:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X