Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethics in photojournalism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ethics in photojournalism

    I have been following closely the tragic events in the siege on Westgate Mall in Nairobi, a place I have visited on many occasions. In my internet search for most uptodate news I came across NY Photojournalist Tyler Hicks who entered the building with army personnel yesterday and photographed inside the building for a number of hours. His photos included graphic shots of African victims who would be easily identifiable to their relatives.

    While I recognise the bravery (while questioning the foolhardiness) surely there should be greater restraint on editors in NY Times in showing pictures of victims while the event is still unfolding and relatives are unaware of whether their loved ones are involved.

    At time of writing 68 people are confirmed dead of many nationalities and unknown amount of hostages are still in the mall. Many Irish who have worked or travelled in Kenya would have gone to this mall.

    #2
    Ethics or standards in photo journalism can be very different depending on region for example in Spain if there is a grisly car accident there will be close up shots of victims still in the vehicles, whereas here that wouldn't be good form. Personally think it has more to do with the viewer, I certainly have no interest in seeing photos of the poor unfortunates who have been murdered by fundamentalist religious nut jobs
    Con Artist

    Comment


      #3
      Does your Title qualify as an Oxymoron?
      Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

      Comment


        #4
        Yes journalism and ethics these days is a non entity. Whatever photos will sell the most will do regardless of how macabre they are.
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

        Comment


          #5
          Shows how ****ed up society is

          there was massive uproar last year when a paper published a picture of some royal boobies
          (Regardless of how right or wrong it was) and this is deemed ok
          The Source for this post is The Internet
          _________________________________
          I don't know Jeff!
          Munster Squad Tracker 2011/2012
          Munster Squad Tracker 2010/2011

          Comment


            #6
            As I mentioned I was looking for info but the last thing I wanted to see was a person lying dead in a pool of blood. I would also question if it was a westerner would NY Times have shown more sensitivity in editing content.

            Having lived and worked in war torn areas of Africa I appreciate that photojournalism has played a major role in getting world attention on problem areas and people's suffering. However IMO these photos served no purpose and were grossly insensitive to the many people throughout the world who are affected by the events in Nairobi this weekend. It is the editors in NY I would question. The photojournalist is there to take the pics but surely a bit of cop on is expected from those in the calm environment.

            On a footnote have to say Im disappointed at Obama's lack of interest in Kenyan affairs in his 2nd term. His grandmother is living there and would much prefer to have seen more active role in African affairs than drinking pints in Offaly with tenuous links to him.

            Anyway will get off my soapbox

            Comment


              #7
              I'm dissappointed that since Obama waqs elected he has renaged on most of his promise and promises. Guantanimo is still open and he spent the best part of last month promoting the bombing of a country where no apparent good would come of it. His disinterest in Kenya would be fairly well down my list. The visit to Offaly was pure election campaign mode, there are a lot more Irish Americans than Kenyan Americans.

              On photojournalism, credit to the photographer for risking his life to record this event and the horrific nature of it. The editors in the NY Times should be ashamed of themselves for publishing them while the siege/kidnapping is still taking place. The thing is that nobody will really give a **** because there is such a massive disconnect to the western world.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by redherring View Post
                Yes journalism and ethics these days is a non entity. Whatever photos will sell the most will do regardless of how macabre they are.
                that's nothing new though and as for photos, former colleague also ran a photographic shop (or partner did) and was a good photographer herself. Told stories of paps coming in openly boasting about how they'd shoved semi naked bimbos into people's rooms etc and sold the photos. Said they hadn't so much as a millisecond's worth of shame.
                \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by desert man View Post
                  I'm dissappointed that since Obama waqs elected he has renaged on most of his promise and promises. Guantanimo is still open and he spent the best part of last month promoting the bombing of a country where no apparent good would come of it. His disinterest in Kenya would be fairly well down my list. The visit to Offaly was pure election campaign mode, there are a lot more Irish Americans than Kenyan Americans.

                  On photojournalism, credit to the photographer for risking his life to record this event and the horrific nature of it. The editors in the NY Times should be ashamed of themselves for publishing them while the siege/kidnapping is still taking place. The thing is that nobody will really give a **** because there is such a massive disconnect to the western world.
                  why are people surprised? Professional politician turns out to be fake, fraud, liar and self interested, not really a shock is it?
                  \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by desert man View Post
                    I'm dissappointed that since Obama waqs elected he has renaged on most of his promise and promises. Guantanimo is still open and he spent the best part of last month promoting the bombing of a country where no apparent good would come of it. His disinterest in Kenya would be fairly well down my list. The visit to Offaly was pure election campaign mode, there are a lot more Irish Americans than Kenyan Americans.

                    On photojournalism, credit to the photographer for risking his life to record this event and the horrific nature of it. The editors in the NY Times should be ashamed of themselves for publishing them while the siege/kidnapping is still taking place. The thing is that nobody will really give a **** because there is such a massive disconnect to the western world.
                    Would agree that Obama will really need to step up in the rest of his final term if he wants to be remembered for the right reasons and not just for the colour of his skin. My comments on him taking an interest in Kenya is from personal experience of the excitement there when he was elected....he still hasnt visited. Also again tempered by living there I feel Africa has been ignored and China has been allowed to colonise much of the continent in the last number of years. At a simplistic level 'Black Hawk Down' seems to influence some foreign policies

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It's easy to condemn it as sensationalism. The images from the Vietnam war - such as that of the girl at Trang Bang taken by Nick Ut - were vital as both records and statements.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                      "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                      "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Dont argue that sometimes it takes the shocking photos to get action and notice but I would take issue at the editors who didnt have to post these as the situation is ongoing and family and friends are unsure of what is happening to their loved ones

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Rebel Yell View Post
                          Dont argue that sometimes it takes the shocking photos to get action and notice but I would take issue at the editors who didnt have to post these as the situation is ongoing and family and friends are unsure of what is happening to their loved ones
                          You could make the same argument about images of famine in Ethiopia in the Washington Post being seen by the Ethiopian community there.

                          Where do you draw the line? They're conflict images from another continent, after all.

                          It's the job of the press to report events. I'd rather they were running these than army issued videos of smart bombs taking out anonymous buildings.

                          It's horrible, but it's what's happening.
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

                          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


                          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                            that's nothing new though and as for photos, former colleague also ran a photographic shop (or partner did) and was a good photographer herself. Told stories of paps coming in openly boasting about how they'd shoved semi naked bimbos into people's rooms etc and sold the photos. Said they hadn't so much as a millisecond's worth of shame.
                            Would you question the ethics behind some of Robert Capa's work? 'The Falling Soldier'? Is that seen as ethically wrong as it is a photograph of a man being shot? Whether it was authentic or not fair enough but it's still capturing the death of a person.
                            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Rebel Yell View Post
                              As I mentioned I was looking for info but the last thing I wanted to see was a person lying dead in a pool of blood.
                              Indeed, or a dozen Syrian sleeping angels on the front of our daily's only a few weeks ago!
                              "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X