Restaurants in Cork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaurants in Cork

Down to visit the family for the weekend in Douglas, anyway Mrs Masterchief fancies dinner out tomorrow night, (free babysitting, yay!) I don't really know anywhere besides Douglas (I'm not a native) so can anyone recommend somewhere nice that doesn't cost the earth?
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Orso on Pembroke Street is excellent value. No bookings so you might have to wait. A drink or two in Crane Lane if you have to wait. They've got a very good craft beer selection in there.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
      Orso on Pembroke Street is excellent value. No bookings so you might have to wait. A drink or two in Crane Lane if you have to wait. They've got a very good craft beer selection in there.
      That might be perfect!
      "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Gusto on Washington Street do a tapas style affair at the weekends. Food is good but the tables can be a little cramped and it's high stools not very comfortable at times.

Market Lane, on Oliver Plunkett Street, is supposed to do decent grub as well. No bookings though AFAIK. I've only been there once, for lunch, and it is best described as comfort type food.

Star Anise on Bridge Street is very good but I don't think they do their early bird/fixed price menu on Saturdays.

Comment

I like Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett Street. Good grub, not fancy, reasonable prices.

SNACKS-SNEAIC
          Marinated olives
          €2.95 (v)
          Bread with dips
          €5.25 (v)

STARTERS-CÚRSATOSAIGH
          Soup of the day
          €4.80
          French onion soup with gruyere and croutons
          €4.80 (v)
          Prawns in garlic and chilli with butter bean and spinach falafel, tomato, ginger and basil salsa
          €7.95
          Roast butternut and beetroot tart with goats cheese, sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds and a lambs leaf salad
          €7.50 (v)
          Crab and salt cod croquettes with sauce gribiche
          €7.70
          Crispy confit duck with rocket, pickled pear relish, croutons and sweet soy dressing
          €7.70
          Pork Liver pate with damson chutney and handmade linseed crackers

MAINS-CÚRSADINNÉIR
          Spaghetti with pan-fried tiger prawns, marinated salmon, roast vine tomatoes, chargrilled vegetables, lemongrass, ginger, garlic and olive oil
          €16.35
          Roast marinated chicken breast with herb mash, buttered vegetables and gravy
          €13.20
          Sirloin Steak, 10oz with chunky chips, mushrooms, balsamic onions and roast vine tomato with a choice of garlic aioli, pepper sauce or cashel blue
          €21.50
          Fillet Steak, 8oz with chunky chips, mushrooms, balsamic onions and roast vine tomato with a choice of garlic aioli, pepper sauce or cashel blue butter
          €25.50
          Wild mushroom and creamed leeks with baked polenta, cooleeney cheese and honey roasted parsnips
          €13.50 (v)
          Braised pork, marinated in Cork Dry Gin with a Jack McCarthy black pudding and potato galette
          €15.95
          Naturally smoked haddock with bacon and cabbage potato cake, wilted spinach and spiced carrot puree
          €16.95
          Pan fried Hake with new potatoes, a crunchy salad of broccoli, asparagus and summer greens and roasted garlic, shallot and caper oil
          €16.95
          Slow cooked West Cork ham hock with cauliflower cheese, sauteed potatoes, cabbage and mustard cream
          Baked Troncon of monkfish on a chickpea and chorizo stew with mussel, spinach and a bacon cream
          €18.95
          Baked Moussaka with aubergine, fennel, beans, lentils and gruyere cheese with a feta, orange and rocket salad
          13.95 (v)
          Lamb tagine with cumin and dates, cous cous, cucumber, tomato, herbs, pecorino and yoghurt

SALADS-SAILÉID
          Warm marinated chicken with marjoram, romaine leaves, cashews, apples, tomato and red onion with sumac and chickpea vinaigrette
          €8.95 / €12.95
          Spiced Lamb meatballs with Lebanese chickpea and cucumber salad and mint yoghurt
          €8.95 / €12.95
          Cashel blue cheese and red grapes with walnuts, kohlrabi, salad leaves and crispy kale
          €8.95 / €12.95 (v)
          Flaked white fish with samphire, fennel, romaine leaves, adzuki beans, potatoes and salsa verde mayo dressing
          €8.95 / €12.95

SIDEORDERS-TAOBHMHÍREANNA
          Chunky hand-cut chips
          €3.40 (v)
          Steamed greens
          €3.40
          Market Lane salad
          €4.40 (v)
          Mash
          €2.85 (v)
          Buttered vegetables
          €3.40 (v)

DESSERTS-MILSEOGA
          Bananas and dark chocolate on a salted caramel and hazelnut biscuit base topped with whipped cream
          €6.00
          Strawberry glory with crushed meringue and vanilla ice cream
          €6.00
          Raspberry sorbet with fresh fruit salad
          €6.00
          Warm plum crumble with crunchy oat crumb and custard
          €6.00
          Orange and vanilla bread and butter pudding
          €6.00
          Chocolate and nut ice cream sundae
          €6.00
          Mini Chocolate cup
          €2.00
          Liqueur coffee / Liqueur hot chocolate
          €6.95
          Lemon Tart with yoghurt and toasted almonds
          €6.00
          Flourless chocolate cake with chantilly cream and blackberry compote

Comment

Orso and Market Lane are same owners it seems.

Comment

They also run the Blackrock Castle Cafe. I think Orso is excellent value for money and the food generally is excellent.

Comment

Gusto on Washington Street do a tapas style affair at the weekends. Food is good but the tables can be a little cramped and it's high stools not very comfortable at times.

Market Lane, on Oliver Plunkett Street, is supposed to do decent grub as well. No bookings though AFAIK. I've only been there once, for lunch, and it is best described as comfort type food.

Star Anise on Bridge Street is very good but I don't think they do their early bird/fixed price menu on Saturdays.
                Star Anise would be my call, I'd have to say.
                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Waggamammas is good but you cant beat Tonys Bistro for Sunday hangover breakfast https://www.facebook.com/TonysBistro
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Went to Orso in the end.

Went in at 8 and requested a table, nothing available so I left my details and headed to the Hi B. Got a call at 20 to nine and headed across.

Service and food were both fantastic, I couldn't recommend this place highly enough. More in depth report to follow tomorrow.

Comment

I take it you weren't wearing one of these tshirts?

Comment

I take it you weren't wearing one of these tshirts?
                        Regrettably I was not, I must get one for my dad though, he got turfed out a few months ago for looking at his phone.

Comment

If Brian was behind the bar and he saw a mobile phone then...

Comment

If Brian was behind the bar and he saw a mobile phone then...
                            He was. He saw. We both know how this ends.....

Comment

It's such a burden when we have to worry about the parents.

Comment

Working...
                              X