Clear All

• sewa
    replied
    How incredibly pointless and boring

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
    he's talking through his hole and you know it, but you wont admit that now. Syntax ffs, what a laugh!

Let me clarify that sentence for you then.

"The ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly" is introduced as an external authority in an ongoing description by the author. The observation of the "real risk of child abuse" is attributed to her by the use of the phrase "has pointed out". "These squalid and sometimes rat-infested hostels" is not attributed to her, and nor is the description of the living conditions of the individuals. He continues "there have been reports, secret filming and official investigations". It's not suggested that the Ombudsman has conducted all of these either. They do, however, make it clear that the author is synthesising a view point based on a number of individual pieces of evidence. This, therefore, makes his comparator with a dog kennel clearly his own, as are the earlier descriptors.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    No you haven't. You're making claims based on your misreading of his syntax.
    he's talking through his hole and you know it, but you wont admit that now. Syntax ffs, what a laugh!

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by busby View Post
    You could use it as a temp solution until the system is sorted out, I agree.

But it would be a a disastrous idea to dump what will be some of weakest people in society into our empty housing stock. The houses that will be sellable in time we can't afford NAMA to not make money back on. The ones which will never be worth anything are typically located away from any of the services these people would require. All you'll end up with is ghettos, and communities of people failing to integrate into society because we haven't given them the chance to.
    TBH, I wasn't originally suggesting it as a solution so much as pointing out the irony of people living in squalid overcrowding in a country that would be financially better off burning a chunk of its property to save on coal.

But I do think that people would prefer ghettoisation to some of the conditions described.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Not surly at all kong. Just like to establish what the actual facts are.
    I've clearly highlighted how aaron mckenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.
    No you haven't. You're making claims based on your misreading of his syntax.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    So Aaron McKenna is lying when he says ""The Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly, has pointed out that there is a real risk of child abuse in these squalid and sometimes rat-infested hostels" ??

Emily O'Reilly says nothing about rat infestation in her report. In actual fact it looks to me like he's taken a claim by the irish refugee council about one centre in millstreet and passed it off as coming from the ombudsman, emily o'reilly.

No, he's not. He's describing her comments in a sentence which also contains a descriptor based on other material. The notion that you're uncovering some inconsistency or misrepresentation is a bit odd, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Eamo
    replied
    Biometrics etc would be available. Also one person's criminal is another's entrepreneur. All drugs legal etc. The politicians are miles behind the population and democracy is on last legs . Eg recent abortion fiasco. Seeking election should be a bar to election if representative govt is to survive in the short term. Beyond my lifetime it's dead anyhow. Libertarian individualism has won the day and the concept of a 'society' is being redefined. My 10 year old skypes with folks in Nevada on a daily basis while playing mine craft (also 10 I. Did the parental check) . Human interaction for him is international, gender neutral and very diverse. To envisage life even 10 years from now requires a construct revolution ie constructs we assume eg nation state, monogamous marriage etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Who'd manage and run that system Eamo?
    The authorities didnt know that a criminal from eastern europe that had been deported was back living in ireland until he was recently shot dead in Dublin

Leave a comment:

• Eamo
    replied
    Abolish minimum wage and open borders to all. If not working and paying taxes after 3 months deportation- problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Kong View Post
    No need to get so surly, TNT. Merely saying that you seem to have differing levels of "believing everything you read" depending on who it is your reading about.
    Not surly at all kong. Just like to establish what the actual facts are.
    I've clearly highlighted how aaron mckenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    I doubt the current provision is free (or cheap). There's property sitting (depreciating) on the Govts asset register. It may not be the easies thing in the world to access it, but I think it's worth observing that its there when we're making families share rooms in rat infested centres.

I don't see a particular cost spiral in comandeering a chunk of NAMA controlled real estate and utilising it. Most of it is really worth nothing anyway.
    You could use it as a temp solution until the system is sorted out, I agree.

But it would be a a disastrous idea to dump what will be some of weakest people in society into our empty housing stock. The houses that will be sellable in time we can't afford NAMA to not make money back on. The ones which will never be worth anything are typically located away from any of the services these people would require. All you'll end up with is ghettos, and communities of people failing to integrate into society because we haven't given them the chance to.

Leave a comment:

• Kong
    replied
    Looks like it was fitzy and balla boy taking Aaron mckennas article at face value kong. Think I've shown that McKenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.
    ye shouldn't believe everything ye read.

and if you've some problem with my posts on other threads put forward your opinion there, kong.
    No need to get so surly, TNT. Merely saying that you seem to have differing levels of "believing everything you read" depending on who it is your reading about.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Kong View Post
    You know TNT, for a guy that that takes every anti-government article at complete face value I'm a little surprised that it's only when asylum seekers are mentioned you start to question the legitimacy of people's claims.
    Looks like it was fitzy and balla boy taking Aaron mckennas article at face value kong. Think I've shown that McKenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.
    ye shouldn't believe everything ye read.

and if you've some problem with my posts on other threads put forward your opinion there, kong.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    I suggest that you reread it (again).

He didn't make the rat infested claims off the back of the ombudsman's report.

Though he isn't clear, I believe his claims are from previous articles on thejournal.ie e.g.

http://www.thejournal.ie/protest-dir...67564-Jun2013/
    So Aaron McKenna is lying when he says ""The Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly, has pointed out that there is a real risk of child abuse in these squalid and sometimes rat-infested hostels" ??

Emily O'Reilly says nothing about rat infestation in her report. In actual fact it looks to me like he's taken a claim by the irish refugee council about one centre in millstreet and passed it off as coming from the ombudsman, emily o'reilly.

Last edited by Major TNT; 9th-August-2013, 00:33.

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    I suggest that you reread it (again).

He didn't make the rat infested claims off the back of the ombudsman's report.

Though he isn't clear, I believe his claims are from previous articles on thejournal.ie e.g.

http://www.thejournal.ie/protest-dir...67564-Jun2013/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X