X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    How much vermin infestation is acceptable? How many men would you like your teenage daughter to share a room with?
    Just a sec BB, fitzys original post has this link;
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/aaro...19950-Aug2013/

Link is a story by Aaron Mckenna and he mentions the following - "The Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly, has pointed out that there is a real risk of child abuse in these squalid and sometimes rat-infested hostels, where single parent families are required to share with strangers and where families with teenage children of opposite gender are required to share one room. There have been reports, secret filming and official investigations that have all turned up evidence of conditions most of us wouldn’t house a dog in.”

Now if that’s the case that is indeed inhumane, and must be stamped out. However in the Emily O’Reilly investigation he is talking about;
    http://www.studiesirishreview.ie/lea...-we-gone-wrong
    she makes no mention in that study that I can find about rats.

So is Aaron Mckenna completely misrepresenting what was in the Emily o’reilly investigation or can someone link to evidence that confirms the accusations he has made?

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    You wouldn't have to give it away - just use it as managed housing stock. Agree though that compassion is unlikely to be top of the list of priorities.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    And this in a country where houses that have never been lived in are standing empty for years.
    Yes and the way the state would look at that is that you can't be seen to give away property for nothing. It would affect the market(even a non-existent one) Also of course they probably don't want to be seen to encourage more asylum seekers and particularly the economic migrants. I mean if I was a cynical Govt member I'd be thinking that if this number of people come to Ireland when the conditions are this poor, can you imagine the boat loads who'd arrive if we were dishing out free houses the minute you stepped on dry land.

You know it was the same back in the time of intervention beef, butter mountains and all the rest. Better to pay £15,000 per hour to store beef which is not needed than to hand it out to the needy with the consequent result of not protecting the prices. At least these days they just pay for the non-production rather than leaving good food go to waste.

The unfree market must be protected at all costs, even human costs.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
    Why does it take so long to process?
    Because somebody is making money from it. It is Ireland after all and that is really all that matters.

And why are they being held in sub human conditions during that time?
    I'd imagine it is largely because the majority of people in Ireland don't really care about asylum seekers and the conditions they exist in. Therefore there is no pressure applied to the authorities to improve things. I mean people in Ireland barely care enough about their own plight to protest about corrupt activities in the state authorities, they are hardly going to go to war for a few unfortunate folk who they have no connection to.

Leave a comment:

• Kong
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
    Exaggerate much....?
    How much vermin infestation is acceptable? How many men would you like your teenage daughter to share a room with?
    You know TNT, for a guy that that takes every anti-government article at complete face value I'm a little surprised that it's only when asylum seekers are mentioned you start to question the legitimacy of people's claims.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    Could you imagine how the costs would spiral if we started to give them new homes.
    I doubt the current provision is free (or cheap). There's property sitting (depreciating) on the Govts asset register. It may not be the easies thing in the world to access it, but I think it's worth observing that its there when we're making families share rooms in rat infested centres.

I don't see a particular cost spiral in comandeering a chunk of NAMA controlled real estate and utilising it. Most of it is really worth nothing anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Valencia
    replied
    Ah sure Grand Oul Ireland where everything from Abortion to Immigration is dealt with in 'a shur twill be grand' fashion. The only things our political masters have proved to be able dealers is in Direct provision for their retirements

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    This is Emily O'Reilly's report.

http://www.studiesirishreview.ie/lea...-we-gone-wrong

A stark conclusion.

It is easy to explain away our failures on the basis that the issues are complex, that drafting the legislation is very difficult and that parliament in any case is ineffective. All of this is true. But, ultimately, it comes back to priorities and to ethics and values. We have known for a decade and more that our treatment of asylum seekers is unacceptable and we have failed, mostly, to do anything about it. With some honourable exceptions, that failure is a collective failure of a republic which needs to re-engage with what ought to be its core values.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    And this in a country where houses that have never been lived in are standing empty for years.
    Could you imagine how the costs would spiral if we started to give them new homes.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Exaggerate much....?

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    Exaggerate much....?
    Read the article. Then come back.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    That is what struck me as well. Why does it take so long to process? And why are they being held in sub human conditions during that time?
    Exaggerate much....?

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Originally posted by Sulla View Post
    Maybe we should follow the Australian model?
    Tearing the Geneva Convention into neat squares and using it as an impromptu Andrex substitute? No.

Direct provision was, I would say, always daft. You had people willing to work for their keep while there were jobs there and for whose sanity working would have had huge benefits, a State that needed to keep the bills down, and employers needing people to do jobs. it wouldn't have hurt; if you failed in your asylum application, you'd be deported, regardless, and any money saved could be used to defray any costs awarded against you. What harm?

But instead we went down this route, and it's hard to see the benefit of so doing.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Maybe we should follow the Australian model?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X