No announcement yet.

Asylum seekers are our new institutional home victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah sure Grand Oul Ireland where everything from Abortion to Immigration is dealt with in 'a shur twill be grand' fashion. The only things our political masters have proved to be able dealers is in Direct provision for their retirements
    Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
      Could you imagine how the costs would spiral if we started to give them new homes.
      I doubt the current provision is free (or cheap). There's property sitting (depreciating) on the Govts asset register. It may not be the easies thing in the world to access it, but I think it's worth observing that its there when we're making families share rooms in rat infested centres.

I don't see a particular cost spiral in comandeering a chunk of NAMA controlled real estate and utilising it. Most of it is really worth nothing anyway.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
        Exaggerate much....?
        Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
        How much vermin infestation is acceptable? How many men would you like your teenage daughter to share a room with?
        You know TNT, for a guy that that takes every anti-government article at complete face value I'm a little surprised that it's only when asylum seekers are mentioned you start to question the legitimacy of people's claims.
        To The Brave And The Faithful, Nothing Is Unpublishable.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
          Why does it take so long to process?
          Because somebody is making money from it. It is Ireland after all and that is really all that matters.

And why are they being held in sub human conditions during that time?
          I'd imagine it is largely because the majority of people in Ireland don't really care about asylum seekers and the conditions they exist in. Therefore there is no pressure applied to the authorities to improve things. I mean people in Ireland barely care enough about their own plight to protest about corrupt activities in the state authorities, they are hardly going to go to war for a few unfortunate folk who they have no connection to.

Comment

And this in a country where houses that have never been lived in are standing empty for years.
            Yes and the way the state would look at that is that you can't be seen to give away property for nothing. It would affect the market(even a non-existent one) Also of course they probably don't want to be seen to encourage more asylum seekers and particularly the economic migrants. I mean if I was a cynical Govt member I'd be thinking that if this number of people come to Ireland when the conditions are this poor, can you imagine the boat loads who'd arrive if we were dishing out free houses the minute you stepped on dry land.

You know it was the same back in the time of intervention beef, butter mountains and all the rest. Better to pay £15,000 per hour to store beef which is not needed than to hand it out to the needy with the consequent result of not protecting the prices. At least these days they just pay for the non-production rather than leaving good food go to waste.

The unfree market must be protected at all costs, even human costs.

Comment

You wouldn't have to give it away - just use it as managed housing stock. Agree though that compassion is unlikely to be top of the list of priorities.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

How much vermin infestation is acceptable? How many men would you like your teenage daughter to share a room with?
                Just a sec BB, fitzys original post has this link;
                http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/aaro...19950-Aug2013/

Link is a story by Aaron Mckenna and he mentions the following - "The Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly, has pointed out that there is a real risk of child abuse in these squalid and sometimes rat-infested hostels, where single parent families are required to share with strangers and where families with teenage children of opposite gender are required to share one room. There have been reports, secret filming and official investigations that have all turned up evidence of conditions most of us wouldn’t house a dog in.”

Now if that’s the case that is indeed inhumane, and must be stamped out. However in the Emily O’Reilly investigation he is talking about;
                http://www.studiesirishreview.ie/lea...-we-gone-wrong
                she makes no mention in that study that I can find about rats.

So is Aaron Mckenna completely misrepresenting what was in the Emily o’reilly investigation or can someone link to evidence that confirms the accusations he has made?

Comment

I suggest that you reread it (again).

He didn't make the rat infested claims off the back of the ombudsman's report.

Though he isn't clear, I believe his claims are from previous articles on thejournal.ie e.g.

http://www.thejournal.ie/protest-dir...67564-Jun2013/
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I suggest that you reread it (again).

He didn't make the rat infested claims off the back of the ombudsman's report.

Though he isn't clear, I believe his claims are from previous articles on thejournal.ie e.g.

http://www.thejournal.ie/protest-dir...67564-Jun2013/
                    So Aaron McKenna is lying when he says ""The Ombudsman, Emily O’Reilly, has pointed out that there is a real risk of child abuse in these squalid and sometimes rat-infested hostels" ??

Emily O'Reilly says nothing about rat infestation in her report. In actual fact it looks to me like he's taken a claim by the irish refugee council about one centre in millstreet and passed it off as coming from the ombudsman, emily o'reilly.

Last edited by Major TNT; 9th-August-2013, 00:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                      You know TNT, for a guy that that takes every anti-government article at complete face value I'm a little surprised that it's only when asylum seekers are mentioned you start to question the legitimacy of people's claims.
                      Looks like it was fitzy and balla boy taking Aaron mckennas article at face value kong. Think I've shown that McKenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.
                      ye shouldn't believe everything ye read.

and if you've some problem with my posts on other threads put forward your opinion there, kong.

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                        Looks like it was fitzy and balla boy taking Aaron mckennas article at face value kong. Think I've shown that McKenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.
                        ye shouldn't believe everything ye read.

and if you've some problem with my posts on other threads put forward your opinion there, kong.
                        No need to get so surly, TNT. Merely saying that you seem to have differing levels of "believing everything you read" depending on who it is your reading about.
                        To The Brave And The Faithful, Nothing Is Unpublishable.

Comment

I doubt the current provision is free (or cheap). There's property sitting (depreciating) on the Govts asset register. It may not be the easies thing in the world to access it, but I think it's worth observing that its there when we're making families share rooms in rat infested centres.

I don't see a particular cost spiral in comandeering a chunk of NAMA controlled real estate and utilising it. Most of it is really worth nothing anyway.
                          You could use it as a temp solution until the system is sorted out, I agree.

But it would be a a disastrous idea to dump what will be some of weakest people in society into our empty housing stock. The houses that will be sellable in time we can't afford NAMA to not make money back on. The ones which will never be worth anything are typically located away from any of the services these people would require. All you'll end up with is ghettos, and communities of people failing to integrate into society because we haven't given them the chance to.
                          "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                            No need to get so surly, TNT. Merely saying that you seem to have differing levels of "believing everything you read" depending on who it is your reading about.
                            Not surly at all kong. Just like to establish what the actual facts are.
                            I've clearly highlighted how aaron mckenna at the very least misrepresented what the ombudsman, Emily O'Reilly, said.

Comment

Abolish minimum wage and open borders to all. If not working and paying taxes after 3 months deportation- problem solved.
                              I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
                              HL Mencken

Comment

Who'd manage and run that system Eamo?
                                The authorities didnt know that a criminal from eastern europe that had been deported was back living in ireland until he was recently shot dead in Dublin

Comment

Working...
                                X