Help needed- World war 2 tours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed- World war 2 tours

Would appreciate some genuine feedback on a special bucket list request. My dad is 83 and always had an interest in the 2nd Word War and hitler, etc. i would like to take him over for a few days to see a few sites. Was thinking about Berlin to see the wall, checkpoint charlie, etc, but I know he would aso like to visit a concentration camp. Is there a way I could do this and get berlin and a camp in within a few days? Would someone recommend a visit to a beach or graveyard in France also. Would appreciate any help in this, especially from anyone who as done this already. Its something I need to do in the next few weeks.

Shep I did a couple of beaches in Normandy 2 years ago (Utah and Omaha). Did 2 cemetries also nearby and finally St Mere Eglise which is about 40 mins drive from Utah beach - this is where the US paratroopers landed during D-Day including a guy caled John Steele who landed on the church roof (they still have a manequin of him there!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-...re-%C3%89glise
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Was this an organised tour or did you do it yourself? Where did you fly?

Comment

Originally posted by shep View Post
        Would appreciate some genuine feedback on a special bucket list request. My dad is 83 and always had an interest in the 2nd Word War and hitler, etc. i would like to take him over for a few days to see a few sites. Was thinking about Berlin to see the wall, checkpoint charlie, etc, but I know he would aso like to visit a concentration camp. Is there a way I could do this and get berlin and a camp in within a few days? Would someone recommend a visit to a beach or graveyard in France also. Would appreciate any help in this, especially from anyone who as done this already. Its something I need to do in the next few weeks.
        Visited Berlin and Krakow a few years ago. Did all the sites in Berlin - Checkpoint Charlie etc - before getting an over night train to Krakow and then on to Auschwitz which is not that far from Krakow iirc
        I Spent 2/3 days in Berlin overnight to Krakow and then a day in Auschwitz. Flew into Berlin and home from Krakow. went on an organised trip. When i went we flew from shannon on ryanair to schonfield and back from krakow.
        PM if you need any more info

Comment

Originally posted by shep View Post
          Was this an organised tour or did you do it yourself? Where did you fly?
          Not organised Shep, we got the ferry to Roscoff from Rosslare (nice and near Waterford!) and back from Cherbourg which is near the sites.
          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Go to Normandy shep fascinating, have a look at this thread http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/3...light=Normandy

If driving go to Dachau near Munich for a camp.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

The Trip to Oswieciem, Auschwitz, includes a short bustrip out the road to Birkenau where things were taken to a different scale, numerically, iirc.
              Gobsmacking and unforgettable.
              Cracovie makes a fine place to visit after the shock of it all. The birds don't go there, never mind sing.
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

There's a concentration camp in Berlin. It's called Plotzensee. It was used to murder political opponents of the Nazis. The execution room is part of a museum now. Last I heard, the holding cells were a youth prison, but that was before the wall came down.
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

If you sign up for George Hook's travel info (I think it's yer man Fionn Davenport) look at previous listings. He did a fascinating trip to Munich & took in a really interesting tour that took in The famous Munich Beerhall where Hitler spoke. Dachau concentration camp & The Eagles nest, Hitlers mountaintop lair. It sounded amazing
                  Con Artist

Comment

We were in Berlin for around a week around 3 years ago. You can see Hitlers bunker was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BChrerbunker, and theres the Jewish museum which has a lot on WWII http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Museum,_Berlin and also Foster's new Reichstag which was the site of some bitter German-Russian fighting too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_building. We went on a few guided walking tours - very very informative, but really tiring too - for us it was in August and really hot. ... we also got the train to Wittenberg a lovely small town which was where Luther nailed his thesis to the church door at the start of the reformation - good if you want a day away from the bussle of Berlin. Enjoy!

Comment

We did this one shep : http://www.overlordtour.com/overlordtour-tour-3.html

Couldn't recommend it enough! You don't need to have watched BoB but if you have it's a real treat. You get to go into the filed where Dick Winters and his gang disabled the German guns shooting down onto the beaches. You also get to go into the farmyard that was their rendezvous point. It's really excellent, very moving, well worth it.

The cemeteries are very sobering and somewhere that everyone should visit. It's scary to see all the 17 - 30 odd year olds buried in row after row...
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post
                        t's scary to see all the 17 - 30 odd year olds buried in row after row...
                        A digression: Having seen some of the WW1 cemeteries and being similarly flabbergasted at the sheer scale of it all, I wonder whether an interesting use of some underused site somewhere would be to place a simple white cross/headstone for each man/woman, or God knows, child who have been driven to take their own lives on this wonderful island of ours over the past five years and add to it tragedy by tragedy.

It might just provide the stark reminder needed in order to prompt some meaningful change.

Comment

Many thanks to all of you that replied. As usual, this site is a great source of knowledge, even outside of munster matches. I will certainly be looking at all recommendations and try to come up with the best trip possible.

Comment

Just take in to account your dads age when it comes to your schedule. I took my dad at a similar age to fish in Scotland and we managed about 40% of what I'd planned but what a blast! Just take into account a mans right to stop and take it all in.
                            "You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Comment

Working...
                            X