This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Dawkins: Born Eeejit

So. There's still a few weeks to go until the season is up and running. Tumbleweed is blowing through the Red Army Forum. It's got so desperate the trolls are having to make do on famine rations picking the bones on the corpse of the bould Pat.
    So, here's an interesting piece by William Craig.

Discuss:

Richard Dawkins’ claim that the temptation to attribute the appearance of design to actual design itself raises the larger question of who designed the designer (implying that if you have no explanation for the designer, you have not explained anything). Craig’s argument there doesn’t assume the truth of Christianity, so atheists and agnostics could agree with him in his specific and compelling refutation of Dawkins’ argument.

Personally, I think the flaws of Dawkins’ argument are pretty obvious, and I doubt any rational person would take it seriously. Even a superficial analysis of Dawkins’ argument reveals its extreme weakness.

Only raving and uncritical atheists would accept and repeat Dawkins’ argument; but any thoughtful person, be atheist, agnostic or theist, would recognize the extreme weakness of that objection.
    Even though I’m not convinced of the Christian God’s existence, sometimes I wonder why some prominent atheists use so silly and weak arguments against the idea of God. It makes me think their case against it is very weak, so they have to make purely rhetorical points aimed at a highly biased, credulous and uncritical atheist audience which will swallow whatever anti-theistic fallacy they hear, specially if it’s defended by a prominent scientist and presented in (pseudo) scientific jargon.
    It gives you an insight of the actual intellectual level, rationality and honesty of many atheists and especially of Dawkins’ followers.
    By the way, and this is only another evidence of Dawkins’ intellectual dishonesty (and by implication, of the uncritical thinking, credulity and irrationality of his followers), in his second debate with John Lennox, Dawkins confessed to journalist Melanie Phillips that “rather than believing in God, he was more receptive to the theory that life on earth had indeed been created by a governing intelligence – but one which had resided on another planet.”
    In other words, Dawkins is accepting the possibility of intelligent design in the origin of life on Earth by aliens!.
    But leaving aside that, if Dawkins and his followers were logically consistent and rational, they should apply the same or similar Dawkins’ anti-God argument to his own alien-based intelligent design argument: attributing the appearance of design to an actual alien design about the origin of life on Earth itself raises the larger question of who designed the aliens! Therefore, Dawkins’ theory of the possible extraterrestial (and intelligently created) origin of life on Earth explain nothing!.
    It proves that Dawkins is a anti-God propagandist, not a serious and careful thinker. He wants atheism be true, regardless of whether his anti-God argument destroys his other beliefs too. His arguments are an a posteriori rationalization of his atheist beliefs, not a conclusion based on the evidence. It’s pure ideologically and emotionally grounded atheistic wishful thinking.
    He doesn’t have problems with intelligent design as an explanation of the origin of life on Earth; his problem is with the supernatural (i.e God based) origin of that design. Therefore, his real motivation is materialistic atheism, not evidence-based science (in fact, the “theory” of intelligent aliens as the creators of life on Earth have no evidence at all. But Dawkins is “open” to it because it can explains the origin of life on Earth without appealing to God and, therefore, it serves and it’s useful for his atheistic purposes!).
    Last edited by MrsMcGahan; 17th-July-2013, 06:06.

Richard Dawkins.......................................A well known alien

So, Dicky believes in aliens. Be the hokey.
    That's science for ya.

Comment

Hardly the more parsimonious of the two options, is it?
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

"Islam is doomed" thread was better than this, and that was terrible.

Ian the Pseudo Intellectual
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Love the retort.
          http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...iam-lane-craig

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post
            Love it? You're a fan of bluster and evasion then I take it.
            Interesting that Dicky ducks the philosophical argument.

This doesn't. You won't like it, never mind love it:

http://templestream.blogspot.ie/2013...futed-god.html

Comment

Stay Classy

Comment

That really is nonsense from Dawkins. Seriously; it's a mix of "Do you know who I am?" argumentum ad auctoritatem, and as stone-cold-perfect an ad hominem as you could wish. It's all over the place, and doesn't once address Craig's actual argument.
                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

But Weetabix loves it.

Comment

What a pair of absolute gobsh'tes. Up their own a'ses doesn't even come close. Please can they release the fixtures so we can have something sensible to discuss.

Comment

Comment

I dont believe there is any such thing as a soul, spirit or any god. I don't read Dawkins because I dont need to be convinced. I dont have any answers but magically picking whatever the local religion is and hoping you got the right one is ludicrous
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                          I dont believe there is any such thing as a soul, spirit or any god. I don't read Dawkins because I dont need to be convinced. I dont have any answers but magically picking whatever the local religion is and hoping you got the right one is ludicrous
                          Socrates couldn't have put it better.

What a player he was

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	probably_no_god_bus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2477603
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                              That really is nonsense from Dawkins. Seriously; it's a mix of "Do you know who I am?" argumentum ad auctoritatem, and as stone-cold-perfect an ad hominem as you could wish. It's all over the place, and doesn't once address Craig's actual argument.
                              Why would anyone engage with the sort of demented half wit that could create the bilge quoted at the top of this page? Mortifying pseudo posturing. The man is a ****ing idiot. As is anyone who takes him even half seriously.
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                              X