Has TV really come to this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has TV really come to this?

I've been off work for last few weeks and was looking forward to some decent history documentaries - but nope all "reality" ****e these days. But this one really does take the piss. A programme about inbred toothless hicks shooting large rats in the swamps, presumably from envy of their teeth, who knows but FFS that's not even a half hour one off....a series? Really?
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

I was thinking the other day that I rarely watch TV these days.

Occasionally I'll look at some catch up stuff on Sky, but mostly I watch box sets on the tablet to and from work or listen to the radio.

If it wasn't for sports, and in particular rugby and hurling, both of which I like to watch live, I would be tempted to ditch TV altogether.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
      I was thinking the other day that I rarely watch TV these days.

Occasionally I'll look at some catch up stuff on Sky, but mostly I watch box sets on the tablet to and from work or listen to the radio.

If it wasn't for sports, and in particular rugby and hurling, both of which I like to watch live, I would be tempted to ditch TV altogether.
      snap, **** knows how many channels of nothing every day
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

There is very little actual quality writing/ideas in tv these days. Just endless hours of so-called reality tv ****e. Having said that the high quality stuff is very high quality but very sparse.

I absolutely ****ing despise all these 'talent' type shows which effectively look to take advantage those with mental/social inadequacies and financially exploit the photogenic auto-tuned people. Alan ****ing Sugar can go **** himself with a Commodore 64.
        Last edited by The Word Is Born; 28th-June-2013, 21:44.
        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
          There is very little actual quality writing/ideas in tv these days. Just endless hours of so-called reality tv ****e. Having said that the high quality stuff is very high quality but very sparse.

I absolutely ****ing despise all these 'talent' type shows which effectively look to take advantage those with mental/social inadequacies and financially exploit the photogenic auto-tuned people. Alan ****ing Sugar can go **** himself with a Commodore 64.
          I'd quite like to see that. 57 minutes of ****ing himself only to get an error, have to rewind the tape and start again.
          The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Having had the opportunity to watch more TV then I care to remember over the last 5 months I can safely say 95% is total dross.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

It would be cheaper and more entertaining to just show the test card.
              We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
              Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post

I can't stand that show. The notion that everyone in business acts like that is just preposterous.

What's more some of the new post degree recruits I've seen in the last few years start work thinking they need to be like that to get ahead.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I'll also add that wrt high quality drama series- the writing far exceeds anything that the silver screen has (consistently) produced over the last 5-10 years. It probably has more to do with developing character story arcs. For years we were 'informed' that cinema was where it is at but that has changed due to the advent of the franchise driven vehicle both on the small and silver screens. For a production company to expect/demand that the merchandising to gross more than the actual source production should tell where it is at these days.
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

HBO have some serious shows. The final season of breaking bad will kick off soon enough. By far the best show since the wire imo

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                      Having had the opportunity to watch more TV then I care to remember over the last 5 months I can safely say 95% is total dross.
                      That's why I tune into coil ee tae programming like Munsterfans.
                      I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

They were advertising for a show on the other night on C4 I think about a lad with what can only be described as spacehoppers between his legs, I said to herself that we finally have hit the bottom with what is regarded as entertainment. I suppose Big Brother started all this off when they began exploiting the socially inept for entertainment circus freak style.
                        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Good point TWIB about cinema, everything now is just remakes but not even good remakes of good films. If you're going to do an update do a decent ****ing job of it. Especially when you look at how much they could now do with the filming, effects etc of films. LOTR got it right by splitting into multiple films to allow some development (although still didn't get it 100% right). On the subject of effects, people are now spending a fortune to do versions of what Blade Runner did 30 years ago and without actually making a better job.

Comment

There certainly isn't enough good TV to fill the hours people spend in front of one. But if you pick and choose, TV is better than it's ever been. This era has produced The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Southlands, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Boss (which I've just started on) and others.

There's a lot of dross, but that's going to happen when you have so many channels screening so many hours.

There's probably as much good television now as there was total television in the 80s.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I only really get a chance to watch any television at the weekend. The only things I would really watch then is sports, especially horseracing, rugby and GAA. Also watch The News and the odd interesting current affairs or documentary show if I happen to be around during the week when they are on.

Even during racing festivals when I am around during the week I wouldn't be bothered watching anything else.

Any good shows I hear about I will get box sets.

I have seen some of those idiotic reality shows and talentless shows a few times when in someone else's house and they are truly dire. The fact they are so popular just shows that the TV companies can more or less get away with showing any old rubbish and they will find an audience big enough to generate their advertising revenue. Says more about contemporary society than about the TV companies themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X