Three buys o2 Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three buys o2 Ireland

THE MOBILE PHONE operator Three has bought O2′s Irish operation from Telefonica for around €850 million, it has been announced this morning.
    The sale has been announced by the Spanish mobile giant Telefonica, which owned O2, which said that it has sold the operation to the Irish subsidiary of Hutchison Whampoa, Three.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/thr...63827-Jun2013/

In other news ..

http://www.thejournal.ie/three-phone...64056-Jun2013/

THE THREE MOBILE phone network is down across parts of Ireland today.
    Customers on the network are unable to make phone calls, or send and receive text messages. It is unclear as yet how many customers have been affected by the outage.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

500+ jobs surely gone in Limerick and another few hundred for the chop in Dublin so
    Im here to spread the word..common sense is not just for animals

Comment

So 3 are Irelands biggest mobile network as of today, no mention of job losses in analysis yesterday Duffman but it does look likely there will be some consolidation
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Meanwhile..

THE THREE MOBILE phone network is down across parts of Ireland today.
        Customers on the network are unable to make phone calls, or send and receive text messages. The outage affects all customers country-wide.
        The network outage comes on the same day as it was confirmed that the mobile phone operator has bought O2′s Irish operation for an estimated €850 million.
        A spokesperson for Three Ireland said a team of engineers were working to fix the problem and that service is expected to resume shortly.
        The spokesperson said the problem was caused by a transmission link failure by Virgin Media which affected Three services across Ireland.
        “Three confirms its first network outage since it entered the Irish market in 2005,” the spokesperson told TheJournal.ie. “The outage follows a transmission link failure by a third party, Virgin Media.
        “We have the best team working to address this and the service is expected to resume shortly. We apologise to customers for the inconvenience.”
        In a tweet, Three Ireland said it trying to fix the problem as quickly as possible
        “We are aware of issues with the network currently and are working to resolve as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience,” the tweet read.
        Some customers have taken to Twitter to complain about the lack of service this morning.
        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

How was this allowed proceed? Less competition means an inferior deal for the consumer.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
            How was this allowed proceed? Less competition means an inferior deal for the consumer.
            It hasn't been allowed to proceed - the deal is subject to regulatory approval, which means EU and Irish sign-off from a competition perspective. However given the Austrian consolidation in the mobile telephony market last year that both the EU and domestic regulators signed-off, it might appear a reasonable expectation that the deal will be approved.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
              I would imagine it is still subject to Irish or EU competition rules ie they will need to satisfy both that it is in the best interests of customers.

I wonder if DOB had a % of any follow on sale?
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Does this consolidation have anything to do with 4G coming in ? Speaking of which, what will 4G mean in terms of net coverage/contracts/phones ?

Comment

"In a statement, Three Ireland said the deal would provide it “with the scale and financial strength necessary to compete even more aggressively in the market to the benefit of consumers."

not sure if that will be the case when one major player takes over another but here's hoping.
                  we had 3 at work a few years back as they were offering the best deal. Their coverage and customer service was crap so once the contract was up went back to Vodafone. With O2 now and I'd recommend Vodafone over the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                    500+ jobs surely gone in Limerick and another few hundred for the chop in Dublin so
                    Wouldn't be so sure on that Duff. Can't see them shipping care of to Penang. I think they will keep the existing model in place under a rebrand.

Comment

Mumbai wasn't it? 3 Customer Service was a bit of a trail to be fair.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

what % of the market do they have individually
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Three has 8 or 9%, Vodafone has approx. 30% based on sunday radio figures
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                            It hasn't been allowed to proceed - the deal is subject to regulatory approval, which means EU and Irish sign-off from a competition perspective. However given the Austrian consolidation in the mobile telephony market last year that both the EU and domestic regulators signed-off, it might appear a reasonable expectation that the deal will be approved.
                            I would be very surprised if it does not go through. And probably should do as there will be three operators as well as tesco (do they use O2 infrastructure).

I hope Three invest in Ireland rather than outsource to India etc. O2 have a strong business base who would probably not want to deal with customer service in Bangalore.

Comment

Tesco mobile uses O2 for its coverage AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
                              X