• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limerick Economic Plan

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/bu...ched-1-5188049

By Nick Rabbitts
    Published on 14/06/2013 11:00

AN AMBITIOUS plan aimed at transforming Limerick and its economy has been launched today at the Strand Hotel.
    The €250m plan - ‘Limerick 2030 – An Economic and Spatial Plan for Limerick’ was unveiled by Local Government Minister Phil Hogan, Finance Minister Michael Noonan and Housing Minister Jan O’Sullivan.
    It has the potential to deliver 5,000 new jobs and sets out a number of objectives which will considerably change the [COLOR=#446688 !important][COLOR=#446688 ! important]infrastructure[/COLOR][/COLOR] of the city centre and deliver a whole new vision for Limerick as a leading centre for commercial investment.
    City manager Conn Murray has described the blueprint as “a once in a generation plan to guide the economic, social and physical renaissance of Limerick city centre, the wider county and the Mid-West region.”
    “The plan will allow us to work together to bring much needed investment to Limerick, to revitalise the city centre and to project a positive image giving confidence to investors, businesses and the local community,” he said.
    The Limerick 2030 plan is structured around three main elements: an Economic Strategy, a Spatial Strategy and a Marketing Plan.
    The economic strategy is to position Limerick to capture a greater share of knowledge based investment, supporting innovation, enterprise and start-ups while capitalising on its existing strengths - its three Higher Education institutions, the city’s ICT and digital assets & its strong knowledge and technology based reputation.
    The spatial strategy will transform how the city centre looks repositioning itself as the premier regional shopping destination and a desirable place to do [COLOR=#446688 !important][COLOR=#446688 !important]business[/COLOR][/COLOR], attracting new investment and companies located in a high quality and flexible space.
    As exclusively revealed by the Limerick Leader, the plan is to recommend the creation of an “iconic” destination building, codenamed “The Limerick Cultural Centre”.
    The city’s three main streets; O’Connell St, Catherine St and Henry St are to be transformed, while a new city square is to be created in the heart of the city.
    In the heart of the city, there will be a higher education campus to include facilities from LIT, UL and Mary Immaculate College, while Colbert Bus and Rail station is to be renewed to provide better links with the city centre.
    The transformation of the cityscape will also involve a comprehensive re-development of the Arthur’s Quay area to create a new city square; a refurbishment of Cruises St and an expansion of the Penney’s/Debenhams area so that it becomes a focal point for shopping.
    The plan also includes the removal of Sarsfield House and the development of the Opera Centre site as a location for new [COLOR=#446688 !important][COLOR=#446688 !important]business[/COLOR][/COLOR] together with an Innovation Hub. This will be closely aligned to the city’s colleges providing space and support for fledgling businesses.
    The marketing plan will include co-ordinated efforts across all sectors to re-brand and sell Limerick while challenging existing false perceptions.

Wonder will Barry Duggan and Jimmy Woulfe submit this to their pay masters?
    A lion online, a lamb at home.

another plan.... great....
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
      another plan.... great....
      What would you propose to do to improve the economic situation in Limerick?

Comment

I welcome everything positive for the city. I just hope they have the right people in place to bring it to reality and implement it.
        The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
        Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Gathering dust as we speak.
          We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
          Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

No state money yet allocated.
            Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

I hope not. Maybe the raid on the national pension fund will provide some funding.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                What would you propose to do to improve the economic situation in Limerick?
                Maybe finish what was proposed in the last plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                  Maybe finish what was proposed in the last plan!
                  What was in the last plan?

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                    What was in the last plan?
                    This.
                    http://www.limerickregeneration.ie/plans-index/

How much of the funding promised at the outset was actually delivered?
                    Dont get me wrong I hope this latest plan delivers whats needed and is seen through to completion, but you can blame me for being skeptical.
                    Limerick has had so many "plans" published by polioticians you'd have almost pave o'connell street with them.

Comment

I heard from a source that this new plan cost circa €200k to produce.
                      The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
                        Should be in the limerick crime thread....
                        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
                          Wouldnt surprise me.
                          If you were to give 200k to someone working with people in disadvantaged areas they'd put it to better use.

And wtf is this thing of paying outside consultants bucketloads of cash to come up with this plans and reports? What the hell are town planners, and economists employed by the dept of finance, social welfare etc doing? Why isnt that part of their remit.

Comment

It's a lot of money.
                            I'm really hoping it was money well spent.
                            It'll be interesting to read it once it is online.

Anyone with any idea where this "new city square.. ..created in the heart of the city." is to be situated?
                            Outside St Mary's the only place that springs to my mind.

Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I read elsewhere the Sarsfield Hse is to be demolished, maybe that is earmarked for the plaza?

Comment

Working...
                              X