Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedantic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pedantic?

    Watching Scotland v Samoa from SA. The 22m line is a conversion from the old 25yr line. Should 1/2 way line not be the 44m line and not the 50m line as often shown?
    A lion online, a lamb at home.

    #2
    Originally posted by 5eight View Post
    Watching Scotland v Samoa from SA. The 22m line is a conversion from the old 25yr line. Should 1/2 way line not be the 44m line and not the 50m line as often shown?


    The half way line is just that, rather than the 50m line. There's no prescribed length for a pitch from try line to try line - it's just not supposed to exceed 100m.

    So the half way line is only a 50m line on the fullest pitch possible.


    The 22 is measured from the try line, and so is a standard distance on all pitches.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

    "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


    "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

    Comment


      #3
      IIRC the gap between 10m and 22 is what decides the in play field length. The only prescribed measurements in the field of play (length wise) are 10m from half way and 22m from try line. Between those 2 can be anything up to 18m as the max in play length is 100 but can be less.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

      Comment


        #4
        Don't dispute any of the above. A pitch is split into quarters. In having the 1/2 way line marked as 50m you are stating that the pitch is 100m long. The 22m line should then be the 25m. If the pitch is 80m long then the 1/2 way should be marked as 40m etc. If the 22m is marked from the goal line then so also must the 1/2 way line. I think it unlikely that the distance from the 22m line to the 1/2 way line would be 28m.
        A lion online, a lamb at home.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by 5eight View Post
          Don't dispute any of the above. A pitch is split into quarters. In having the 1/2 way line marked as 50m you are stating that the pitch is 100m long. The 22m line should then be the 25m. If the pitch is 80m long then the 1/2 way should be marked as 40m etc. If the 22m is marked from the goal line then so also must the 1/2 way line. I think it unlikely that the distance from the 22m line to the 1/2 way line would be 28m.
          The pitch isn't split into quarters though. It's split into two areas of 22m, two areas of 10m and whatever is left in between.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

          "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


          "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

          Comment


            #6
            http://www.rugby-sidestep-central.com/rugby-field.html

            Length

            The maximum length of the "field of play" is 100 metres. That`s the distance between the two goal lines.
            Position of the half-way line

            Yes it`s in the middle of the rugby field!

            But it`s relative.
            No matter what the field dimensions are, the half-way line is drawn so that it is exactly mid-way between the goallines.
            This means on a pitch that is 100m long it is 50m from the halfway line to the goalline.
            On a pitch that is only 80m long, it is only 40m from the halfway line to the goalline.
            A lion online, a lamb at home.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by 5eight View Post
              http://www.rugby-sidestep-central.com/rugby-field.html

              Length

              The maximum length of the "field of play" is 100 metres. That`s the distance between the two goal lines.
              Position of the half-way line

              Yes it`s in the middle of the rugby field!

              But it`s relative.
              No matter what the field dimensions are, the half-way line is drawn so that it is exactly mid-way between the goallines.
              This means on a pitch that is 100m long it is 50m from the halfway line to the goalline.
              On a pitch that is only 80m long, it is only 40m from the halfway line to the goalline.
              Yes - on an 80m pitch half way is 40m. The 22 is still 22 from the try line though.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

              Comment


                #8
                Where would we be without pedantry?
                Gwan Joe!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Farmer: Did you round up the sheep?
                  Border collie: Yes.
                  Farmer: So how many were there?
                  Border collie: Forty.
                  Farmer: But there were only thirty-eight this morning.
                  Border collie: You told me to round them up.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    In keeping with the thread title, there is no such thing on a Rugby pitch as the "try line"

                    Comment


                      #11
                      What difference does it make whether they mark it 50m or 40m?! If you go with a nine iron it's your own fault!
                      He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X