Immense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immense

Can anyone put their finger on when this became the standard word used to describe a good performance in a soccer/rugby game? It was being thrown around again after the Ireland match last night. "Richard Dunne was immense at the back" (as opposed to "Richard Dunne IS immense at the back"). The whole thing has me puzzled. I think it took off in rugby first and I blame Gerry Thornley and to a lesser extent Tony Ward. Mind you there are plenty of other words and phrases overused in modern sport as it is.
    Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

HUGE comes to mind.

What does that mean?
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

massive post
      Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Cynical tackle springs to mind.

Comment

It's from Microsoft Word spellchecker, that's what it is. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Notice to lazy journos - the more literate among us can in fact actually TELL when you've clicked on the "synonym" box. Like when reporters talk of"a facile victory"because it's in as a synonym of "easy" and they think it makes them sound clever. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]
          For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

The Croke Park crowd control is NOT immense [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]. Amateurs the lot ofthem.

Comment

I'm certain Immense is Tony Ward's baby. If RTÉ get around to showing some archive rugby in the future, Wardie's debut days in the commentary sheds at LR could prove the point.

The soccer buachaills have taken "Immense" to their heartsbut Wardie canstillclaim exclusive dibs on"....he had no right to be there"[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Theimmensely, enormousand utimately despairing colonic spasm produced the desired effect:a gigantic, resounding flatus. Roger was ejected from the toilet bowl due to the massive expulsive effort required in this monumental effort. He would never eat garlic and chili beans again.

Comment

Originally posted by Point
                  The Croke Park crowd control is NOT immense [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]. Amateurs the lot ofthem.
                  You shouldn't need to be controlled. What was the problem? Crowd didn't seem too immense anyway. Lots of empty seats.
                  Grandpa Simpson: The last time the meteors came, we thought the sky was on fire. Naturally, we blamed the Irish. We hanged more \'n a few.

Comment

Working...
                  X