Delay Communions etc until old enough to choose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delay Communions etc until old enough to choose

Personally think this would be a great idea. Takes pressure of parent and means that those who do decide the church is for them have a meaningful ceremony to do so.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...st-232680.html
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

There has been a collective sharp intake of breath throughout the hoteliers; vintners; retail and bouncy castle associations and probably the Vatican too.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

That article seems to be more about people's poor behaviour in church and then there's this

"In other cases, he said, otherwise religious families see the events more as family parties and opportunities for their children to be given money and presents."

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
        There has been a collective sharp intake of breath throughout the hoteliers; vintners; retail and bouncy castle associations and probably the Vatican too.
        Who decided a bouncy castle is required at these things?
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
          Who decided a bouncy castle is required at these things?
          Commandment 12a-though shalt have a bouncy castle on religious occasions.
          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

A waste of valuable slab money
            I am the million man.

Comment

Young lad made his a few weeks back. Shame the kids weren't directed to wear their school uniforms. Although a fair few of the lads were wearing smart clothes they might get a wear out of again, to see so many dressed in one-day numbers was, frankly, more pathetic than pleasing.

Then again, I'm not especially devout, so the significance of the day is a tad lost on me. Not that dressing up should make it any more significant.
              Last edited by Red October; 29th-May-2013, 13:13.

Comment

A neighbour called up on the eve of the big day to collect for a gift for the class teacher, since my lad had missed school that day. Obviously another little tradition I had known nothing about. Asked what were we doing to which I mentioned immediate family gathering for a BBQ. She was keeping it all very low key too, I was assured. There'd only be the 38 of them. Not including themselves. At a guest total of 7 we were sadly letting the side down.

They really are mini-weddings for some. The outfits on the adult females; the fake tan, the hair.

Absolute bloody madness.

Comment

the fact that 85% of kids don't ever set foot in a church again is telling.
                  We would be in the don't really want to do it but at the same time don't want to stigmatise the kids boat. Would love if this happened as while not a religious person I respect people who are by choice rather than where they were born.

Comment

On my way to a nephews communion I passed two stratch limos inluding a stretch Hummer. Mind you the country is broke.

Immediate family only still amounts to approx 20 for BBQ and drinks.

Communions and Confirmations should be removed from the schools responsibility and placed on the church. If you want your child to receive either sacrament then take them to mass. Valuable teaching time goes out the window preparing for the "big day"
                    A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Absolutely religion has no place in school IMO but unfortunately 95% of schools in Ireland are religious owned..

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                        Absolutely religion has no place in school IMO but unfortunately 95% of schools in Ireland are religious owned..

The religious orders are not paying up for fiddling with the kids since the start of the State, FF gave them an easy ride and Bertie gave them an easy deal but the cupid stunts still wont pay, maybe they are hoping for a FF comeback.

They say Jesus drove out the moneylenders from his father's house, time we did the same to all the Brady bunch and nationalise their property for damage caused, keep the communion/confirmation shlte for the Third World, or maybe get them a worldwide ban.

Comment

How an otherwise obsolete institution maintains its grip on power: Attach yourself to each important milestone in a person's life. Birth, education, marriage and death.
                          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Fantastic idea .. the only reason my brother & I went through communion & confirmation was because it was the done thing & we'd have been complete outsiders in the village had we not gone through with it. Also my mother never admitted to her parents that she'd quit church so there may have been some difficult explanations to be made. My aunt originally decided not to baptise her youngest, but was then forced to baptise her a few years later so she could get into her local school.
                            Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                              How an otherwise obsolete institution maintains its grip on power: Attach yourself to each important milestone in a person's life. Birth, education, marriage and death.
                              I think the reality is the today's church isn't as interested as people think in keeping a "grip on power"! And the reason why? They haven't got enough priests.

I've a relative a priest who says that the Irish primary school system is almost unique in that the teachers take on the responsibility that is normally done out of hours by parents and the church in other countries. My sister in the US would have liked her kids to make their Communion there, but as this would have entailed Sunday School for the academic year, they all preferred to go skiing on Sundays, so end of Communion!

Parents will need to get used to the idea that schools and teachers are going to back out of offering this "service" - I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Teachers are filling the role reneged upon by parents, who are the ones who proliferate the idea that First Communion is solely about occasion. Pretty hypocritical of parents when you think about it, when few enough of them go to mass anyway.

Personally, by the way, I think having a family get together is a great idea on Communion Day. Too many families only get together for funerals imo.
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X