Any advice on Alarm systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any advice on Alarm systems?

Had an incident today where a car pulled up in my driveway and one if the occupants walked up to my door and tried the handle and then back to the car and drove away.My teenage child was home alone and was freaked out, to hear the handle being tried a few times, but was locked.
    Guards were not surprsed and said it was a common complaint. So I am going to get an Alarm system installed and was looking for advice. Is the Eircom phonewatch any good or are there better options out there without spending a fortune? Would prefer a wireless option rather than have cables being run everywhere.
    Any help would be apprecated.

A dog. One that barks a lot. Lots of fantastic dogs in rescues up and down the country.

Even if you had phonewatch those lads would be gone by the time the Gardai arrive.

Believe it or not it's still one of the best deterrents. A buddy of mine is a Garda and always advises a dog ahead of an alarm if you only get one (obviously both are better).
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by shep View Post
      Had an incident today where a car pulled up in my driveway and one if the occupants walked up to my door and tried the handle and then back to the car and drove away.My teenage child was home alone and was freaked out, to hear the handle being tried a few times, but was locked.
      Guards were not surprsed and said it was a common complaint. So I am going to get an Alarm system installed and was looking for advice. Is the Eircom phonewatch any good or are there better options out there without spending a fortune? Would prefer a wireless option rather than have cables being run everywhere.
      Any help would be apprecated.
      Wireless is available much more now but i think more expensive. Don't go with Eircom. You can get your own dialler which can be programmed to contact you or family or friends for any incident you like. Eircoms monitoring fees are what gets ya!

But a dog stops people before they even get near the door! Good company for the kid too.
      The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

Thanks guys. Have a dog that barks like hell, but starting to get old and a little deaf. Cant replace him at this stage. Well not yet anyway. Are there any recommendations or are most alarm companies local to an area?

Comment

An alarm won't stop what happened shep, and remember very few people set the alarm whilst inside the house.

A dummy alarm box is as likely deter a would be burglar imho.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by shep View Post
            Thanks guys. Have a dog that barks like hell, but starting to get old and a little deaf. Cant replace him at this stage. Well not yet anyway. Are there any recommendations or are most alarm companies local to an area?
            I've had Phonewatch for the last 12 years and the standard they seem to use is wireless, so no problem with cables. I pay the yearly monitoring plus servicing and that comes in about €400, so I'm sure there would be others out there cheaper. Function wise it works well, and I'm happy with the service. If you know anyone with phonewatch where you are, get them to recommend you and they'll get an introduction fee.

Comment

Hmm, our neighbours suffer that problem when Kermit is about. Ask him for his alibi.

Seriously scary stuff though for your daughter. I would suggest a panic button with the alarm set up in that case. We have 3 points of panic buttons. At least if it's not set and someone gets in, you can trip it.
              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Not sure what companies available in the Maldives but I always have an alarm in the house. When we moved to our current house it was not wired for an alarm so went wireless with a company called Future Security based in Nenagh. Used them as they actually have a shop in the town and also MrsDONC uses them where she works.

They are reasonably priced, alarms can be monitored and also have the SMS function allowing you to check the status, set / unset remotely and of course get activation text messages when one of the lads comes home in the wee small hours locked and cant remember the code.
                I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

Hi guys

Anyone any experience with the HKC Quantum Wireless control panel?? I need to go wireless as not going to retro wire the house for wired system.

Its part of the quote I have an just wondering peoples experience with it??
                  There Rice krispie cakes not buns

Comment

Installed many HKC systems and they are about the best for price and quality around, with them you can install the wireless unit that will SMS your phone when the system is set off.
                    All phone watch do is ring the house, if no one answers to answer the password, they might ring the local barracks, but the Gardai do not usually bother with house alarms, so many installed and going off every day it is a bit of a waste of time and resources for them.
                    Also with the system install a sound bomb inside, burglars can fill the outside alarm box with expanding foam to silence it.
                    If you alarm the windows and the system goes off, check the windows for marks and around the house for tennis balls, fave trick of scobes is to keep hitting the window with them, you dont see any one around and after a few of what you think are false alarms, you switch the thing off so as not to disturb the neighbours and get some sleep.
                    Other trick is to kill your electrical supply, set the alarm off a number of times, battery discharges and then no juice, hey presto they are in and you are missing your stuff.
                    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                      Installed many HKC systems and they are about the best for price and quality around, with them you can install the wireless unit that will SMS your phone when the system is set off.
                      All phone watch do is ring the house, if no one answers to answer the password, they might ring the local barracks, but the Gardai do not usually bother with house alarms, so many installed and going off every day it is a bit of a waste of time and resources for them.
                      Also with the system install a sound bomb inside, burglars can fill the outside alarm box with expanding foam to silence it.
                      If you alarm the windows and the system goes off, check the windows for marks and around the house for tennis balls, fave trick of scobes is to keep hitting the window with them, you dont see any one around and after a few of what you think are false alarms, you switch the thing off so as not to disturb the neighbours and get some sleep.
                      Other trick is to kill your electrical supply, set the alarm off a number of times, battery discharges and then no juice, hey presto they are in and you are missing your stuff.
                      Thanks TC......i'll go with the HKC option alright.

Are false alarms, due to internal PIR's much of a problem nowadays.....
                      There Rice krispie cakes not buns

Comment

Working...
                      X