Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland in Tax Avoidance spotlight

Lots of news in recent days.

From Apple getting spanked about it's Irish operations, to Google using it's Dublin office to pay feck all tax, to even the likes of M&S billing from Ireland.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05...e_tax_ireland/
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

No worries Enda is off to the council of Europe to discuss fraud and tax avoidance today. I wonder how much extra will end up paying Europe after that....
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
      No worries Enda is off to the council of Europe to discuss fraud and tax avoidance today. I wonder how much extra will end up paying Europe after that....
      Nothing, unrelated subject
      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

While Irish jobs may be at risk, the question is how can something like this be morally acceptable?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...nt-tax-scandal

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
          While Irish jobs may be at risk, the question is how can something like this be morally acceptable?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...nt-tax-scandal

While I can understand the moral question you're asking, I don't doubt for a second that the very liberal tax laws in this country are a huge contributory factor in the likes of Apple and Google etc.. deciding to set up here. While Apple paying .05% tax is no doubt taking the piss, sometimes you just have to play dirty. It is sink or swim time. If the likes of Apple had not decided to set up here or decided to move shop then the result on this country would be catastrophic. The amount of people employed by these technology firms in Ireland is probably in the tens of thousands. We can offer a lot to these companies in terms of a competent and educated work force and even in terms of location but the most important factor for these firms is undoubtedly the bottom line in terms of profit. I would much prefer to have these companies based here and paying no tax then to not have them here at all. We don't have many natural resources here in Ireland so we have to create as many avenues for profit and employment as we can. The technology industry in this country has become huge as a result. It is a cruel world as they say and sometimes to get ahead or to even just keep your head above water, you just have to play dirty.

Comment

The IFSC and its backers had the major influence on the type of taxations now under fire, Ireland cannot deny the strokes it has pulled and implemented particularly by the FF party, who were happy to call Dermot Desmond's visions their own.

Haughey, Ahern, McCreevey, Cowen and Lenihan all happily took guidance from the maestro, now the USA is angry and the retaliation could have very serious consequences for Eire/IDA, massive pressure now on Govt.

Comment

Originally posted by BOK View Post
              While I can understand the moral question you're asking, I don't doubt for a second that the very liberal tax laws in this country are a huge contributory factor in the likes of Apple and Google etc.. deciding to set up here. While Apple paying .05% tax is no doubt taking the piss, sometimes you just have to play dirty. It is sink or swim time. If the likes of Apple had not decided to set up here or decided to move shop then the result on this country would be catastrophic. The amount of people employed by these technology firms in Ireland is probably in the tens of thousands. We can offer a lot to these companies in terms of a competent and educated work force and even in terms of location but the most important factor for these firms is undoubtedly the bottom line in terms of profit. I would much prefer to have these companies based here and paying no tax then to not have them here at all. We don't have many natural resources here in Ireland so we have to create as many avenues for profit and employment as we can. The technology industry in this country has become huge as a result. It is a cruel world as they say and sometimes to get ahead or to even just keep your head above water, you just have to play dirty.
              I would have said we have lots to offer on this island. But we are being steered by our own government to be a 'service' economy. Servicing these companies with an educated workforce but producing and selling sweet f-all that we see some money at the end of it that will filter into our economy other than the wage being paid to the employee. Other industries are dying in this country every day and the government and most people see this as acceptable as we are going to be a 'smart' economy. Well it'll collapse one day and we'll be left manufacturing/producing nothing of any substance.
              The whole world cries out peace, freedom and a few less fat bastards eating all the pie.

Comment

If they actually bothered to collect the actual rate of Corporation tax then the country wouldn't be on the **** its in and we can stop this insane austerity drive.
                We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterTel View Post
                  I would have said we have lots to offer on this island. But we are being steered by our own government to be a 'service' economy. Servicing these companies with an educated workforce but producing and selling sweet f-all that we see some money at the end of it that will filter into our economy other than the wage being paid to the employee. Other industries are dying in this country every day and the government and most people see this as acceptable as we are going to be a 'smart' economy. Well it'll collapse one day and we'll be left manufacturing/producing nothing of any substance.

In terms of natural resources (i.e. gas, oil etc..) we don't have much to offer but in terms of having a lot to offer as a people, then absolutely yes we do have bundles to offer. While I agree that yes other industries are being neglected it also has to be acknowledged that having technology firms of the caliber of Apple and Google etc.. is hugely beneficial to this island and not just in terms of having people employed on an assembly line. Technology is and will only continue to become a bigger part of all our lives. Having ourselves associated as a "smart" economy can only be a good thing going forward. That is not to say that other industries should continue to be neglected so to turn everyone "smart" so to speak, but it is (and should be) a vital part of our National identity going forward. We shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket, but we also need to know which baskets to leave some of our eggs in. Technology is definitely one of them baskets and it is vital, not only for the here and now, but also for the future that we continue to both maintain and attract technology firms to this island. If that means offering moral questioning low tax rates, then so be it.

Comment

Knowledge economy my balls. They're channeling billions in revenue that have nothing to do with people employed through Ireland. There are HQs in Dublin employing no one that have massive revenues flowing through them virtually untaxed.

A banana republic sticking one hand out to the European Union and picking its neighbours' pockets with the other.
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

A big issue is around "brass plate" companies who employ one or two people in Dublin and divert billions through their "office" there.

I can't be too far down the line before there is a fairly simple EU wide agreement that you pay Corporation Tax in the country that you sell the goods.

Anything else is just a piss take tbh.

Comment

Ireladn inc do not set these laws, if the Americans wanted to address it they would by simply looking at companies filed accounts and applying the appropriate
                        My computer thinks I'm gay
                        What's the difference anyway
                        When all the people do all day
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

This is happening everywhere - The biggest food company on the planet Nestle have their headquarters in Switzerland, yet it is just for tax purposes - they do nothing there. I know one Irish company which rhymes with berry poop have one guy sitting in an office in Luxemburg saving the company millions. All multi-nationals have massive tax-departments for the sole purpose of getting around tax laws.
                          When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            Ireladn inc do not set these laws, if the Americans wanted to address it they would by simply looking at companies filed accounts and applying the appropriate
                            That is absolute nonsense. Ireland specifically introduced laws to facilitate tax avoidance.

Comment

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/e...aven-1.1401752

Because of distortion to Irl Inc's cashflow our GNP aint real and we end up paying extra (100m) to the EU because of same.

If the yanks get shirty, they could hole us beneath the water level and it then wont matter if we tell Obama and the Missus they are from Awfully or anywhere else, the capitalist political power of USA will dictate these companies pay more tax at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X