Recommend a TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a TV

I need to buy someone at home a TV . Any recommendations? Flat screen and the larger the better I suppose. Budget of about €500.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

40 inch Toshiba ,100hz ,Led,Full HD-€429+€26 delivery = €455

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1185256...elevision.html

Comment

I've been looking at that one and also this one - older model but you get a free sound bar.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1342982...tml#pix-review

Comment

I only ever tried to use Pixmania once. Disastrous. They "lost" the item en route, and it took months to get a refund.
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
          I only ever tried to use Pixmania once. Disastrous. They "lost" the item en route, and it took months to get a refund.
          Yeah I haven't heard great things about them.

I'd try Hardly Normans but you need to go there and do a bit of haggling (or so I've heard).

Comment

They'll haggle ok.

p.s. Last 2 tv's I bought were from Argos.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Fitzy, are you talking about making an online purchase or a bricks'n'mortar purchase?

You'll get a better 'discount' in a bricks'n'mortar for a slightly older spec tv. 500 lids should get you something pretty decent.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Power city can sometimes have the best prices but they are primarily Dublin based.

Comment

I had a friend who used to fix electrical products for a living. He told me only to ever buy Samsung televisions as they make their own parts so you will be able to get bit for repairs in the future whereas there was no guarantee of that with any other make. I bout 2 plat screen Samsung TV's 3 years ago for less than €400 each and never had a moments bother.
                  "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                    Fitzy, are you talking about making an online purchase or a bricks'n'mortar purchase?

You'll get a better 'discount' in a bricks'n'mortar for a slightly older spec tv. 500 lids should get you something pretty decent.
                    Would prefer online as I'm getting it for an older relative who wouldn't be very au fait with technology.

I might leave it till I'm home again in a few weeks though. That way I can do the haggling and do the install as well.

Comment

I have a very similar model to the two Toshiba tellys mentioned here. I got mine 2 years ago from pixmania with no problems.

Having said that, go for a 42" telly. My only gripe with my tv is when I hook it up to my pc for movie watching. It will do full HD alright but not at full resolution. It crops the picture ever so slightly.

Mrs Masterchief doesn't notice it but I do and it irritates me.
                      "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Also Richersounds on boards.ie will usually do you a good deal if you ask. Pretty sure they ship from the UK too as you're in London iirc?

*edit* just noticed tis for the auld sod, I'd still ask them what they have anyway.
                        "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Powercity will deliver around Ireland and have a decent selection.

Pixmania I've heard and read horror stories about them but I've never had any hassle with them over stuff.

With regards to a TV I've a Toshiba LCD that is approaching 7 years at this stage and it's still going although is now suffering from screen burn.

If I was buying at the moment for myself I'd most likely go for a LG or Samsung, if I was buying for my parents I'd have no hesitation in getting them a Toshiba.

Comment

I'd go for a Panaphonics.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                              I'd go for a Panaphonics.
                              Don't forget Sorny and Magnetbox....

Comment

Working...
                              X