X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dipstick
    started a topic Astronomy

Astronomy

A son of mine who spends most of his time in the clouds anywayhas expressed an interest in astronomy. Anyone out there know anything about telescopes for beginners? No, the Hubble is out and Patrick Moore is uncontactable so if any of you budding or experienced stargazers can help, I'd appreciate same.

• Arthur Guinness
    replied
    Not exactly astronomy but just in case someone’s interested. Might be worth a look if it’s a clear morning.
    https://www.irelandsancienteast.com/wintersolstice

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world...cid=spartanntp

Earth is a pretty small planet, in relative terms.
    Think of how large Jupiter and Saturn are in comparison and you get an idea for how small our home is.
    Now, Nasa's Spitzer Space Telescope has found a new planet, called OGLE-2016-BLG-1190Lb, which is 13 times the mass of Jupiter

It's so large that astronomers are contemplating it may not be a planet.
    Researchers at a range of universities around the world have reported the discovery, which they say: raises the question of whether such objects are really 'planets'(formed within the disks of their hosts) or 'failed stars' (low mass objects formed by gas fragmentation).
    They continue: It is precisely measured to be right at the edge of the brown dwarf.

This is somewhere between 13 and 14 Jupiter masses. OGLE-2016-BLG-1190Lb has about 13.4 Jupiter masses.

Since the existence of the brown dwarf desert is the signature of different formation mechanisms for stars and planets, the extremely close proximity of OGLE-2016-BLG-1190Lb to this desert raises the question of whether it is truly a 'planet' (by formation mechanism) and therefore reacts back upon its role tracing the Galactic distribution of planets, just mentioned above.
    The planet is around 22,000 light years away - but further observations are encouraged to help shape our perceptions of planets, dwarf stars, and gaseous masses.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    I'd expect that kind of Shyte from Cork people, but from a Kerrywoman?? Shame on you. Post reported.

I recorded it and hope to watch it soon.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
    That's the Cork coming out in you.
    I'd expect that kind of Shyte from Cork people, but from a Kerrywoman?? Shame on you. Post reported.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    Yes watching it now. As I said elsewhere, it's great to see Birr reclaiming its astronomical heritage. It's once again at the center of the Universe.
    That's the Cork coming out in you.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Yes watching it now. As I said elsewhere, it's great to see Birr reclaiming its astronomical heritage. It's once again at the center of the Universe.

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Programme on tonight (10:15pm) on RTE 1 about the radio telescope at Birr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ick
    replied
    It is on the RTÉ player

Leave a comment:

• SecondRowGal
    replied
    Originally posted by neill_m View Post
    The Farthest was a superb watch.

Dammit, missed it. Hope it's on the player.

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    fair enough, cause wrong. bad paraphrasing of the article

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
    Solar flares don't cause Aurora.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Not directly. Can cause CMEs which can come in the direction of the Earth and produce the fantastic Northern and Southern lights.

Leave a comment:

• Jackie Brown
    replied
    Solar flares don't cause Aurora.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    have recorded for the weekend

in other news massive solar flare yesterday could cause aurora as far south as London tomorrow and/or saturday nights. lets hope for clear skies. if there are i might take a drive somewhere dark

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    The Farthest was a superb watch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X