No announcement yet.

Astronomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in Aliens? Well I think I do not but how could you not when facts and figures like this appear. The speeds and yet the time it will take. how on earth could we possibly be alone. If there are others, why do the keep probing the yanks or are the considered the lab rats of this world. :-)

Astronomers Predict Titanic Collision: Milky Way vs. Andromeda

May 31, 2012: NASA astronomers say they can now predict with certainty the next major cosmic event to affect our galaxy, sun, and solar system: the titanic collision of our Milky Way galaxy with the neighboring Andromeda galaxy.

The Milky Way is destined to get a major makeover during the encounter, which is predicted to happen four billion years from now. It is likely the sun will be flung into a new region of our galaxy, but our Earth and solar system are in no danger of being destroyed.

"After nearly a century of speculation about the future destiny of Andromeda and our Milky Way, we at last have a clear picture of how events will unfold over the coming billions of years," says Sangmo Tony Sohn of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore.
    "Our findings are statistically consistent with a head-on collision between the Andromeda galaxy and our Milky Way galaxy," adds Roeland van der Marel of the STScI.
    The Milky Way and Andromeda are moving toward each other under the inexorable pull of gravity. Also shown is a smaller galaxy, Triangulum, which may be part of the smashup. (Credit: NASA; ESA; A. Feild and R. van der Marel, STScI)

The solution came through painstaking NASA Hubble Space Telescope measurements of the motion of Andromeda, which also is known as M31. The galaxy is now 2.5 million light-years away, but it is inexorably falling toward the Milky Way under the mutual pull of gravity between the two galaxies and the invisible dark matter that surrounds them both.

The scenario is like a baseball batter watching an oncoming fastball. Although Andromeda is approaching us more than 2,000 times faster than a fastball, it will take 4 billion years before the strike. Computer simulations derived from Hubble's data show that it will take an additional two billion years after the encounter for the interacting galaxies to completely merge under the tug of gravity and reshape into a single elliptical galaxy similar to the kind commonly seen in the local universe.

Although the galaxies will plow into each other, stars inside each galaxy are so far apart that they will not collide with other stars during the encounter. However, the stars will be thrown into different orbits around the new galactic center. Simulations show that our solar system will probably be tossed much farther from the galactic core than it is today.

This series of photo illustrations shows the predicted merger between the Milky Way and Andromeda as seen from Earth. The first frame is the present day; the last frame is 7 billion years from now.

To make matters more complicated, M31's small companion, the Triangulum galaxy, M33, will join in the collision and perhaps later merge with the M31/Milky Way pair. There is a small chance that M33 will hit the Milky Way first.

A century ago astronomers did not realize that M31 was a separate galaxy far beyond the stars of the Milky Way. Edwin Hubble measured its vast distance by uncovering a variable star that served as a "milepost marker."

Read more: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...may_andromeda/
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

This isn't exactly news, but could any qualified person explain to me how it is that all galaxies are apparently red shifted as dark energy forces the expansion of the universe, but yet Andromeda is coming towards us, and is this presumably blue shifted?

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
        This isn't exactly news, but could any qualified person explain to me how it is that all galaxies are apparently red shifted as dark energy forces the expansion of the universe, but yet Andromeda is coming towards us, and is this presumably blue shifted?
        http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=368958

Do these fellas make any sense? If everything was redshift, you would have to think we were the centre of the universe! :-)

Gravity has a lot to answer for.

Comment

Apparently it will be possible to see Venus traverse past the Sun this week (Tues/Wed) The only time it will be visible in our lifetime
          Con Artist

Comment

http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/c...-is-connected/http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/c...-is-connected/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9wcSLs8ZQ&sns=emApparently you can statistically predict the chance of a diamond somewhere between the size of golf ball and a sliotar leaping out of a lead box and flying around the universe.
            Feckin wackos! Get a life!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9wcSLs8ZQ&sns=em

And for the pedants among you like me...you can also critique its accuracy for fun http://mblogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/2012/02/23/everything-is-connected/ whoopee !

Therefore...yes...there are aliens on a planet that is very near and they are coming
            Last edited by No. 16; 3rd-June-2012, 23:42.

Comment

Professor Brian Cox is a wacko?

Comment

Was my winky not adequate enough to render your question unnecessary? Yes a very entertaining brilliant wacko. he's great in't he? See my edited post. He's much more knowledgeable than me as are his contemporary argument hosts. So I've nothing of value to add here whatsoever ...

Comment

Originally posted by No. 16 View Post
                  Was my winky not adequate enough to render your question unnecessary? Yes a very entertaining brilliant wacko. he's great in't he? See my edited post. He's much more knowledgeable than me as are his contemporary argument hosts. So I've nothing of value to add here whatsoever ...
                  Apologies

Comment

4 billion years? Must set my alarm clock.
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Took a few photos of the moon last night, here in Madrid.... Looked massive... Incredible really....
                      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I understand now why people believe in god...it is easier than physics. Suckered!

Comment

Viigand

not all galaxies are red shifted...its the gravity of the dark matter that pulls them together. Andromeda..the milky way and lesser known triangulum will collide in 4 billion years. Though triangulum will join the party probably a little later.

Best way i can describe it is shooting magnet.fragments from a shotgun....they will disperse but some will clump together like galaxy clusters.

It was originally thought Andromeda was 3 times bigger than the milky way but its now known that given the amount of dark matter in the milky way they are of similar size.

Just in case mccloud sets his alarm to early for 4billion years..it will take a further 2billion years to sort itself out before settling into a new , more standard elliptical galaxy as seen commonly throughout universe.

Ps we can eventually get to meet those pesky kelvans.
                          Last edited by NotreDameRFC; 4th-June-2012, 08:52.
                          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                            Viigand

Ps we can eventually get to meet those pesky kelvans.
                            As kelvan is apparently a celtic term meaning 'river man', What are the chances they'll be irish qualfied and decent scrummagers?
                            Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post

Just in case mccloud sets his alarm to early for 4billion years..it will take a further 2billion years to sort itself out before settling into a new , more standard elliptical galaxy as seen commonly throughout universe.
                              So, 4 billion years (or light years?) hence - just about time for the next Green TD to get elected to the Dáil - and boy! won't he (or she) have a great time blaming global warming for the impending catastrophe!
                              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                                As kelvan is apparently a celtic term meaning 'river man', What are the chances they'll be irish qualfied and decent scrummagers?
                                They are humanoid in appearance so that covers most props.
                                "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Working...
                                X