Homophobia and Sport

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homophobia and Sport

The biggest announcement in sport's battle against homophobia since Gareth Thomas came out occurred today, and in real terms it's probably a bigger deal than Gareth Thomas. The first currently active team sport player at the highest levels of American team sport came out in Sports Illustrated today: Jason Collins.

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

I think this is even more relevant given the abuse Nigel Owens has come in for. Whatever you have to say about his reffing, using his sexuality as a term of abuse is the work of knuckledraggers. Even the "light-hearted" stuff is too much. Someone made a comment at the Leinster match, I can't remember what it was but it made me cringe. It got an awkward chuckle from the crowd but it was embarrassing that anyone in a Munster terrace would say it. Thankfully there's none of it on here, but it's definitely there in the terraces and elsewhere online. And the reality of it is that there are definitely talented teenagers who are dropping out of rugby because of it. And there's almost certainly a number of terrified pros in world rugby afraid of the abuse that will come at them, not only in rugby but generally.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cri...he-is-gay.html

Thought this might add to this thread buceph. Cricket is not, ostensibly, as macho a sport as rugby but the nature of the game means it involves a lot of time on the road, a lot of time for banter and involves as much personal abuse as any sport in the form of sledging.

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread, but some of the abuse hurled at Nigel over the weekend was disgusting.

It was certainly a tiny minority, but I was a bit taken aback by how vicious it was.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        I mentioned this in another thread, but some of the abuse hurled at Nigel over the weekend was disgusting.

It was certainly a tiny minority, but I was a bit taken aback by how vicious it was.
        I didn't hear any of it. Was it on TV in the crowd or on his Twitter or something?

Comment

In the crowd.

General comments and abuse, topped off with one idiot singing "Nigel takes it up etc etc ...." for about half the game.

Again, it wasn't many people but the few that were at it were rather embarrassing. I would also mention that they didn't appear drunk either.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Scumbag on twitter who has won a senior cup this year tweeted some sick stuff to Owen's on Sat, took him 2 days to delete it. Owen's even commented on it.

Comment

The rapper something-more (the one used for tacklemore) has a good song on it where he talks about the comments on YouTube which is something I've noticed myself. It's like a schoolyard (and probably is adolescents I would hope)
              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                Scumbag on twitter who has won a senior cup this year tweeted some sick stuff to Owen's on Sat, took him 2 days to delete it. Owen's even commented on it.
                What kind of moron does this stuff. This kind of abuse is becoming more widespread on social media sites. Surely there is some procedure to track these people and deal with them appropriately?

Comment

Disgraceful!! no place in sport for these comments: http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/le...buse-1-5045042

y Nick Rabbitts
                  Published on 30/04/2013 16:00

TOP rugby referee Nigel Owens has threatened to report a Limerick Munster fan to the authorities for “homophobic abuse” on Twitter.
                  One of the few match officials to use the site to engage with fans, the Welsh referee was subjected to a torrent of abuse following Munster’s Heineken Cup semi-final defeat to Clermont Auvergne.
                  He was referred to as a “p****”, a “Welsh b******”, and that he “screwd an honest team”.
                  A number of fans also made reference to the openly gay referee’s sexuality.
                  One user of the social media site described Mr Owens as a “gay c***”, a comment which prompted the official to tweet back: “You want me to report this to the police? Homophobic abuse.”
                  Many Munster supporters on Twitter rounded on the fan.
                  One wrote: “You know nothing about rugby. Why are you following Nigel if you don’t like him?”
                  Another comment read: “Your very mature aren’t you? You should apologise to Nigel for what you said.”
                  Others have also jumped to the referee’s defence - with former Munster star Mayor Gerry McLoughlin saying he is “totally disgusted” with the abuse.
                  But many fans remained critical of his performance.
                  “Nigel hope u watch replay of the match & hang your head in shame #munsterwererobbedbyyou,” one person stated, while another added: “My German Shepard at home would of seen that wasn’t a forward pass with Paul O’Connell.”
                  it is not the referee’s fault Munster lost the game: “It was because we did not score enough points. It is as simple as that!”.
                  Praising the referee, he said: “I think he did a very good job on balance. We have a great association with Welsh referees in particular. I love to see the fact a Welsh referee is officiating at a very important game like this. You always feel you are going to get a fair crack of the whip.”
                  He said those people who took to Twitter to criticise Mr Owens need “anger management” treatment.
                  “I cannot believe anyone would think about [doing this]. These people obviously do not know much about sport in general,” the mayor said, “In the heat of the moment, people will say things because they will be angry. But no match should upset anyone so much they cannot control their emotions.”
                  For his part, Mr Owens took time to respond to many comments on Twitter.
                  He wrote: “I don’t let things go in a game in favour of anyone. I make the calls as I see them, or don’t make them when I feel I don’t need.”
                  He added: “As long as I do my best, and ref fair like I always do, then I shall have no regrets. The idiots can tweet what they want.”
                  To one abusive tweeter, he wrote: “I hope u aint got kids mate, god help the future if that’s the example you set”.
                  Munster lost the Heineken Cup semi-final 16-10 in Montpelier to the French team.
                  But they won praise from many sections for the manner in which they stood up to Clermont Auvergne, considered favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by shanners View Post
                    What kind of moron does this stuff. This kind of abuse is becoming more widespread on social media sites. Surely there is some procedure to track these people and deal with them appropriately?
                    sadly social media sites positively nurture this kind of abuse now care later, or care when you get into trouble (but of course that will never happen) mentality. You just have to look at the feeble nonsense that has come out every time one of these heroes gets caught to realise it - like the one Curtis Woodhouse tracked down or the idiot with the high school shooting stuff.
                    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by youngmunster View Post
                      Disgraceful!! no place in sport for these comments: http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/le...buse-1-5045042

y Nick Rabbitts
                      Published on 30/04/2013 16:00

TOP rugby referee Nigel Owens has threatened to report a Limerick Munster fan to the authorities for “homophobic abuse” on Twitter.
                      One of the few match officials to use the site to engage with fans, the Welsh referee was subjected to a torrent of abuse following Munster’s Heineken Cup semi-final defeat to Clermont Auvergne.
                      He was referred to as a “p****”, a “Welsh b******”, and that he “screwd an honest team”.
                      A number of fans also made reference to the openly gay referee’s sexuality.
                      One user of the social media site described Mr Owens as a “gay c***”, a comment which prompted the official to tweet back: “You want me to report this to the police? Homophobic abuse.”
                      Many Munster supporters on Twitter rounded on the fan.
                      One wrote: “You know nothing about rugby. Why are you following Nigel if you don’t like him?”
                      Another comment read: “Your very mature aren’t you? You should apologise to Nigel for what you said.”
                      Others have also jumped to the referee’s defence - with former Munster star Mayor Gerry McLoughlin saying he is “totally disgusted” with the abuse.
                      But many fans remained critical of his performance.
                      “Nigel hope u watch replay of the match & hang your head in shame #munsterwererobbedbyyou,” one person stated, while another added: “My German Shepard at home would of seen that wasn’t a forward pass with Paul O’Connell.”
                      it is not the referee’s fault Munster lost the game: “It was because we did not score enough points. It is as simple as that!”.
                      Praising the referee, he said: “I think he did a very good job on balance. We have a great association with Welsh referees in particular. I love to see the fact a Welsh referee is officiating at a very important game like this. You always feel you are going to get a fair crack of the whip.”
                      He said those people who took to Twitter to criticise Mr Owens need “anger management” treatment.
                      “I cannot believe anyone would think about [doing this]. These people obviously do not know much about sport in general,” the mayor said, “In the heat of the moment, people will say things because they will be angry. But no match should upset anyone so much they cannot control their emotions.”
                      For his part, Mr Owens took time to respond to many comments on Twitter.
                      He wrote: “I don’t let things go in a game in favour of anyone. I make the calls as I see them, or don’t make them when I feel I don’t need.”
                      He added: “As long as I do my best, and ref fair like I always do, then I shall have no regrets. The idiots can tweet what they want.”
                      To one abusive tweeter, he wrote: “I hope u aint got kids mate, god help the future if that’s the example you set”.
                      Munster lost the Heineken Cup semi-final 16-10 in Montpelier to the French team.
                      But they won praise from many sections for the manner in which they stood up to Clermont Auvergne, considered favourites.
                      got to say fair play to him for having the guts to go on there and engage with people, respect him for that
                      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                        sadly social media sites positively nurture this kind of abuse now care later, or care when you get into trouble (but of course that will never happen) mentality. You just have to look at the feeble nonsense that has come out every time one of these heroes gets caught to realise it - like the one Curtis Woodhouse tracked down or the idiot with the high school shooting stuff.
                        I don't know why people are concentrating on the social media sites. Similar abuse happened at the Leinster match. This isn't idiots protected by a couple of hundred miles and a computer, it's people within a crowd at a sporting event. And if someone is willing to say that to an official with only the protection of a crowd around him then you can be damn sure they're going to say it to a teenager on a schools team. And that's without taking it outside the sporting realms where it happens every day and night around towns and cities across the country.

I remember my first day in an under 8s team. We were told two things before we ever got going, "Take your hands out of your pockets" and "You can travel the world and find a friendly face anywhere with rugby." Some of the faces aren't friendly at all, they're scumbags.
                        I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

My 14 young old niece just came out in Canada, will be some battle when she moves back to the bible belt (Daddys job is finishing and grandpa is a Baptist minister)but we will beat this level of ignorance some day
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            My 14 young old niece just came out in Canada, will be some battle when she moves back to the bible belt (Daddys job is finishing and grandpa is a Baptist minister)but we will beat this level of ignorance some day
                            Fair play to her.

Some of the stuff that churches over here have been spouting about Jason Collins is absolutely disgusting.
                            To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

Comment

Jon Stewart on the Daily Show Particularly from about 2 mins in.

Comment

Working...
                              X