• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drink drive laws a disgrace

IMO if caught you should loose your license for ever - not just a year

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD background=/images/tile3.jpg>Now drink drivers face a year off the road</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=50 align=right>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center>
    <T>
    <TR bgColor=#4a5c82>
    <TD> </TD></TR>
    <TR bgColor=#4a5c82>
    <TD>Transport Minister Martin Cullen </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Judges act on tough new laws as part of major clamp

DRINK drivers will face a minimum one-year ban from this week.

The Irish Independent has learned judges have been ordered to quadruple the minimum mandatory three-month sentence for those found guilty of driving over the legal alcohol limit.

And those convicted of drink driving can only apply to have their licence restored if they have been banned for two or more years.

Even then they will have to have served two-thirds of the ban before they can apply.

Drink driving suspects who refuse to give a sample of breath and urine will be banned for four years for a first offence - that is up from the current two-year period.

The disclosure comes as new figures show 444 people were arrested for drink driving last week.

The new measures were started on March 5 by Transport Minister Martin Cullen without any public fanfare.

They were part of the Road Traffic Act, published last July, but were not enacted until this month.

Details of the order only emerged yesterday when district justices began imposing the mandatory one-year ban in the West of Ireland.

One district justice told the defendant he had no choice but to increase the minimum ban from three months to one year.

The new measures include:

* Minimum mandatory disqualification for drink driving up from three months to one year.

* The maximum is six years, up from four years.

* Drink drivers who refuse to give a urine or blood sample get automatic four-year ban for first offence, double the two years which applied up to March 5.

* This rises to a automatic ban of six years for a second offence.

Until now, drivers getting even a small disqualification could apply to their district court to have their licence restored after serving half the ban.

In a radical change, the facility to apply for the restoration of the licence before the full ban is served is confined to those put off the road for two or more years. And they will only be able to apply after serving two thirds of the disqualification instead of half.

Anyone receiving a one-year ban will not be able to drive until the full period has elapsed.

The move was welcomed by Road Safety Authority (RSA) chief executive Noel Brett.

"We are delighted that judges have now been equipped with a tougher regime," he told the Irish Independent. Gardai have warned motorists that the drink-drive campaign will continue throughout the year.

For the full year of 2006, Garda figures show 17,788 drink-driving incidents were recorded compared with 13,369 in 2005.

A total of 79 people have lost their lives on Irish roads so far this year.

Treacy Hogan</
    \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

tough punishment alright

easiest way to avoid it is not to drink and drive, then you have noting to worry about

"Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

If they can tell judges to be tough on drunk drivers why can't they do the same for a variety of other offences. The case of the guy who only got a suspended sentence for rape recently is a case in point. Could judges not have an instruction that a minimum sentence of 5 years,for instance,should apply.

Also,too many times we see a judge not put a drunk driver off the road when he hears that the guy needs the licence for his job.
      The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

the only exceptions should be in emergency situations like getting to hospital or some other exceptional circumstances

needing it for your job is not a reason. just becauseyour stupid enough to drink drive when you need a licence for you job doesnt mean you should get away with it
        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

A year minimumoff the road is a very severe punishment TBH. I think mostpeople would learn from that and never do it again. Those that do repeat offend should geta huge punishment thoughIMHO.
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

People who call for mandatory sentences usually forget to add "of course, except if one my family or friends is up on charges."
            It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

some people maybe. my cousin got done a while back and i told him what i tell any of my mates that he got what he deserved

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

If they can tell judges to be tough on drunk drivers why can't they do the same for a variety of other offences. The case of the guy who only got a suspended sentence for rape recently is a case in point. Could judges not have an instruction that a minimum sentence of 5 years,for instance,should apply.

Pity Jim McDaid TD and G.V. Wright TD weren'tjailed and banned for life for their drunk driving episodes - that might have set down a marker for the rest of us.

Arthur, have a look at the transcript of the rape case here - it seemsto me that JudgeCarney was sulking over a Court of Criminal AppealJudgment in a similar case.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

It's alawys been a minimum of a year over hear. My mate lost hers when we got back from Cardiff after the Wales-Ireland Grand Slam game, she gave me the slip and tried driving back to her house from Llanelli train station. She may have got away with it if she'd remembered to put her headlights on. There were a few stories of people arrested in llanelli for drunk driving after the England-Wales game this year as well.
                  I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought I\'d rather dance with the cows until you come home.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog
                    Originally posted by Arthur Guinness

Pity Jim McDaid TD and G.V. Wright TD weren'tjailed and banned for life for their drunk driving episodes - that might have set down a marker for the rest of us.

Arthur, have a look at the transcript of the rape case here - it seemsto me that JudgeCarney was sulking over a Court of Criminal AppealJudgment in a similar case.

Did not Wright try to claim he was on Dail business or is it somebody else I'm think of?
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Guys,

While you all seem to have the makings of the hanging judge, have you ever stopped to think why we are not doing anything about drugged driving. Anecdotal reports from here and studies in other judristictions suggest that this is a far bigger problem;yet the cops have no method of testing, and am not aware of any plans to bring in such a test. And what about the drivers with no documentation? they usually get off scot-free.

Comment

i must admit that i'd be guilty of driving around langers most weekends but as luck would have it, i was as on the dry last sunday night when i was stopped and bagged at a random checkpoint on mallow st/catherine street. god really does love me.

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

ZERO TOLERANCE like in Japan - that is what is needed...

Lack of civil rights maybe - but for this I think it is justified....
                            \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
                            Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Working...
                            X