New Cork programming language

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Cork programming language

This is brilliant. Only a coder will appreciate it.
    http://adam-lynch.github.io/ked/
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

That's excellent.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

session::topUp() like

As for Boolean - well, naturally, like.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Is it suitable for a youngfella (11) into coding?
        Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
          Have you looked into the coder dojo thingy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
            Yeah, Coder Dojo is great. They're not going to be writing any masterpieces but it gives them a serious leg-up over other kids when they are comfortable with the basics. It's more about getting them to approach a problem in the right way - i.e. breaking it down into small manageable steps and tackling each of these individually.

Its worth having a read of this blog post
            Last edited by B.A.; 19th-April-2013, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
              Its worth having a read of this blog post
              There's a good idea behind that blog, I don't think he writes it or puts it across very well though.

I've been trying to learn how to code for a while now. I've never put a huge amount of effort into it, but I've chugged away picking some of the very basic elements. I've gotten to a point now where I can look at simple bits of code (language dependent) and have a vague notion of what's happening in there. The problem I have now is that I don't know what the best way of doing something is. I could spend hours trying to come up with a way of doing something, only to find there's an easy algorithm that someone came up with in the 50s that could do it for me in seconds.

The main idea behind coding is less about the language and more about the process. With computers everything has to spelled out explicitly. You do X first, then Y. Z interacts with A to cause B. If you can understand how to structure things, and how to get things interacting in the right order you have most of coding down. The actual language part of it is very minimal.
              I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

Yeah, the design is more important than the actual implementation. Don't take coding too lightly though, its like learning to speak - you start off with small simple commands but as you get more comfortable with them you can combine them into very powerful blocks of code. There are very few problems that haven't been solved, but you're not going to learn if you just google everything you come up against.

Comment

Anyone know if any of the CoderDojo sessions go out over Skype?
                  Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                    Anyone know if any of the CoderDojo sessions go out over Skype?
                    old thread but wasnt sure where to put this. son stumbled across this site recently:

www.scratch.mit.edu

its an MIT maintained coding project online. they represent coding methods and constructs with icon bricks that you assemble into code. only had a brief play around with it but looks good and might be helpful for some youngsters starting out who dont have code dojo access. sample of a basic "program":

Click image for larger version

Name:	code.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2493895
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Last edited by B.A.; 8th-March-2018, 15:17. Reason: topic was already covered

Comment

I've been doing Harvard's intro to computer science class, CS50 via edx (a MOOC platform.) They start off the whole show with an assignment in Scratch. I knew enough about variables, conditions and loops that it was grand, but even then it was surprisingly easy to get something up and running.

A determined teen would do well out of CS50. They have everything automated via tools they provide, include an online (Cloud9) ide that's set up for coding their assignments and which automatically grades them. I've gotten a lot out of it in my free time, especially with the social media support around it with other people doing the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                          old thread but wasnt sure where to put this. son stumbled across this site recently:

www.scratch.mit.edu

its an MIT maintained coding project online. they represent coding methods and constructs with icon bricks that you assemble into code. only had a brief play around with it but looks good and might be helpful for some youngsters starting out who dont have code dojo access. sample of a basic "program":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16923[/ATTACH]
                          My son uses scratch and loves it. It seems like a well respected intro to programming for kids. The school provides after hours classes in scratch

see also:
                          https://www.dk.com/uk/9780241225165-...mes-made-easy/
                          Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

My young fella has been using Stratch Jr since he started school at 4. He seems to enjoy it. Always good to have an idea of code but with the coming of AI it's not going to be a long term career option imho.
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

could computer programmers designing something that will replace themselves qualify for darwin awards?
                              Last edited by Hugged Rugger; 8th-March-2018, 16:40.
                              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Working...
                              X