Maggie Thatcher has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
    May have been, but it was idiot. Australia was hardly pinko, and they weren't pro-apartheid SA. She near as damn it wrecked the - quite anti-communist - Commonwealth over it.
    Interesting aside on that point - in certain key respects (such as the rate of deaths in custody) the treatment of aboriginals in Oz was actually measurably worse than the treatment of black South Africans during the apartheid regime. Australia's conscience is very far from clear. I strongly recommend John Pilger's book "A Secret Country".
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hand Hero View Post
      The glee some people are taking in her death is quite frankly disgusting.
      She acknowledged Sands was an animal, and so he was...a murdering one, and was willing to let him act, live and die like one.
      I didn't pick up on this last night, but have to ask - don't you think there's a hint of double standards on your part there, RHH?
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
        Interesting aside on that point - in certain key respects (such as the rate of deaths in custody) the treatment of aboriginals in Oz was actually measurably worse than the treatment of black South Africans during the apartheid regime. Australia's conscience is very far from clear. I strongly recommend John Pilger's book "A Secret Country".
        I believe it was still legal until something like 1928 to shoot aboriginals. EDIT just did some research into that and there was a massacre of 32 Aboriginals in 28 which was deemed to be justified. I remember being shocked to hear some of the comments from the young Aussies I met on the Kibbutz in 94 and how they correlated with some of the things the more extreme Saffa volunteers were saying as well.
        Last edited by the plastic paddy; 9-April-2013, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
          The repeats of spitting image are great. Forgotten just how good they were.
          Vicious. 02:24 onwards.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I think its a very interesting topic, it was a period of massive upheaval globally not just in Britain, I dont think you can have a black and white view of a person who was influential over such a long time, there is both good and bad
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Oh, peas in a pod in many respects, no argument.
              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

She tried and failed to eradicate the NONworking class, mores the shame she failed because Chav culture in England has blossomed since she left office and has taken firm roots in Ireland as well.

Her failed policies that eventually were overturned are just a stick for the lazy fkrs across the UK to beat the state with every time they try something similar...such as the bedroom tax
                Im here to spread the word..common sense is not just for animals

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                  She tried and failed to eradicate the NONworking class, mores the shame she failed because Chav culture in England has blossomed since she left office and has taken firm roots in Ireland as well.
                  Surely she was more the cause of the problem.
                  When the pits, steelworks, foundries, factories, docks etc closed down, there were less jobs for the young working classes to go into.
                  In the same way, by selling off the council houses all the best social housing stock was gone and the established communities destroyed.
                  Last edited by Huwie; 9-April-2013, 13:04.
                  The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                  Gwan the Welsh

Comment

The woman was an evil witch.
                    Ding dong the witch is dead.
                    Last edited by Huwie; 9-April-2013, 12:51. Reason: evil
                    The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                    Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I didn't pick up on this last night, but have to ask - don't you think there's a hint of double standards on your part there, RHH?
                      Perhaps you could argue that but I took no enjoyment in his death, equally it did not sadden me for he was a terrorist, a criminal and a murderer by any mans definition. To even try and suggest that Thatcher and Sands' respective lives are on a par is also pushing the boundaries a little, don't you think? Further I certainly did not take to the streets of Belfast to celebrate just as I would not take to the streets to celebrate the eventual death of Gerry, Martin or any of the others within the NI Assembly who have the blood of more than 3,000 civilians, reservists, policemen and army personnell of their hands.

There are those that will say that Thatcher has blood on her hands as well; The hungstrikers, the Belgrano, etc...maybe they have a point, but what head of state that serves across two decades could claim not to have? Ultimately she was an elected head of state who took those decisions with the backing of her party and electorate which by most peoples viewings would be a suitable democratic mandate. Were any of her actions any more terrible than the the bombing of German cities in WW2 by the RAF and USAF, Dresden for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
                        Surely she was more the cause of the problem.
                        When the pits, foundries, factories, docks etc closed down, there were less jobs for the young working classes to go into.
                        In the same way, by selling off the council houses all the best social housing stock was gone and the established communities destroyed.
                        The pitts, foundries, factories and docks that were loss-making anchors around the government's neck because the Unions inflated wages and benefits beyond anything that represented value for what they were producing? I think Thatcher did go too draconian on these 'bastions' of British industry but again what choice did she have? If the Unions had not been so greedy, militant and downright deplorable with their cynical strikes and actions then perhaps some of these things might have been saved. The government may well have looked at ways to modernise, improve and turn some of these old loss-makers into revenue raisers but where was the incentive to do that? Even today we see NHS staff striking, talking about striking etc yet they are better paid than the majority in the private sector perhaps doubly so when you take pensions and other benefits into account.

The Unions whilst theoretically there to protect the workers from these big bad corporate/governmental fat-cats are no better than the people they claim they are fighting against. The Union leaders are and have always been disgusting, self-serving individuals, worse than any politician and on higher wages to boot. They claim to represent an underclass, a working class they have no affinity with because in short they don't give a s**t either but they make their money from rabble rousing and beating the battle drum of inequality.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
                          The brutal truth EO is that without the Provo campaign the GFA would never have happened. The Unionists were racist and were entrenched in their view that that nationalists had to conform to their unionist statelet.
                          So Sands was fighting for his rights ergo justice.
                          I suppose that would depend on the view you take on how to 'fight for your rights'. If I were to stick a booby-trap bomb under your wife's car tomorrow and tell you 'Don't worry Ian, its fighting for the rights of the oppressed' we'd be all square would we? Alternatively I could blow up your son/daughter's school bus, kill a few, maim a lot more....would that also be acceptable? Because those are the tactics the IRA employed.

I do love the plastic-provo's around here though.

Comment

........for he was a terrorist, a criminal and a murderer by any mans definition. To even try and suggest that Thatcher and Sands' respective lives are on a par is also pushing the boundaries a little, don't you think?
                            I'd be of the view that he was a great hero who stood by his beliefs to the point of death. He refused to bend to the British war machine, a terror instrument, sent to NI to impose an alien culture on the nationalists.
                            You're correct Thatcher wasn't on a par with him. She was a deluded bigot whose philosophies were based on hatred. She was stupid also as her policies actually made the provos stronger. Bobby Sands, on the other hand, outthought her and his actions hastened the day that some measure of justice was won for the nationalists.

Comment

The pitts, foundries, factories and docks that were loss-making anchors around the government's neck because the Unions inflated wages and benefits beyond anything that represented value for what they were producing? I think Thatcher did go too draconian on these 'bastions' of British industry but again what choice did she have? If the Unions had not been so greedy, militant and downright deplorable with their cynical strikes and actions then perhaps some of these things might have been saved. The government may well have looked at ways to modernise, improve and turn some of these old loss-makers into revenue raisers but where was the incentive to do that? Even today we see NHS staff striking, talking about striking etc yet they are better paid than the majority in the private sector perhaps doubly so when you take pensions and other benefits into account.

The Unions whilst theoretically there to protect the workers from these big bad corporate/governmental fat-cats are no better than the people they claim they are fighting against. The Union leaders are and have always been disgusting, self-serving individuals, worse than any politician and on higher wages to boot. They claim to represent an underclass, a working class they have no affinity with because in short they don't give a s**t either but they make their money from rabble rousing and beating the battle drum of inequality.
                              Ah yes because mining your own coal is such a bad idea. and everything they've tried since has worked out so well (windscale/sellafield, englands energy & water needs owned by foreign interests, having to be the USA's little bitch and support every dirty war they embark on) and put england in such a great position financially. they're not bankrupt at all.
                              You're a laugh RHH!
                              And now its massive windmills in the midlands of ireland that is the solution for englands energy problems! Not that that idea will ever get off the ground, pardon the pun.
                              Its obvious you love maggie, and you wont entertain the idea that she was a sick sick individual. there are always 2 ways to skin a cat, its just maggie happily took the most brutal, destructive option every time.

Comment

I suppose that would depend on the view you take on how to 'fight for your rights'. If I were to stick a booby-trap bomb under your wife's car tomorrow and tell you 'Don't worry Ian, its fighting for the rights of the oppressed' we'd be all square would we? Alternatively I could blow up your son/daughter's school bus, kill a few, maim a lot more....would that also be acceptable? Because those are the tactics the IRA employed.

I do love the plastic-provo's around here though.
                                If my wife was propping up a system where a section of the population had no vote due to their ethnicity she'd deserve what she got.
                                It's people like you who created the conditions for the civil war in the NI statelet.
                                You deserved what you got.

Comment

Working...
                                X