No announcement yet.

Maggie Thatcher has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been announced that Thatchers corpse will be thrown down one of the pits she closed and a public toilet built on top of it charging £5 a dump.
    Funds raised are expected to clear the national debt by Friday lunchtime
    Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
      It was actually much closer to the Jarrow one. The miners weren't saints, but Orgreave was state thuggery, at political behest. Hancock and Shankland paid the price for recklessness; not one police officer ever disciplined for brutality, forgery of signatures and fitting men up.
      It was close to Jarrow in the original issues at stake, i.e. entire communities, but what happened was nothing like it, much nearer to the riots that happened in inner cities. Not a surprise about no one really being picked up for it, like I say, you have to view the age it happened in, the majority of people at that time didn't really care how the police behaved if they were seen to get results, so there was a police force who could beat people up or lie about football fans urinating on the dead. They, like so much at the time, were out of control.
      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
        wouldn't rule out that she would have, although I reckon there's a few thousand people on the Falklands who'd be happy to have her funeral there and would do a full service for free for her.
        \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
          I remember at the time having a major issue that it was the "Celtic" nations that bore the brunt of the changes first - NI ship yards, then Scotland, then the Welsh industries and that is a memory that won't change. She was serving an English electorate and clearly did that. I think though there is more to it than just the removal of industry in Wales, it's the failure to replace it with anything and the failure of anyone to offer sensible alternatives to what happened. Wales is still definitely suffering the consequences.

Agree, a human being with all that entails, weaknesses and strengths and the ability to be the flexible person the age needed not the inflexible iron lady that the late 70s & early 80s needed but the rest of the age didn't.
          One of her legacies, ironically, is probably the SNP government in Holyrood and the upcoming referendum.

Comment

wouldn't rule out that she would have, although I reckon there's a few thousand people on the Falklands who'd be happy to have her funeral there and would do a full service for free for her.
            They're welcome to her.

Comment

All I'll say is, if this is what Pope Francis delivered in under three weeks, it's just as well we played Los Pumas under Benedict.
              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by mustermog View Post
                It has been announced that Thatchers corpse will be thrown down one of the pits she closed and a public toilet built on top of it charging £5 a dump.
                Funds raised are expected to clear the national debt by Friday lunchtime
                http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2013040865062

Comment

The brutal truth EO is that without the Provo campaign the GFA would never have happened. The Unionists were racist and were entrenched in their view that that nationalists had to conform to their unionist statelet.
                  So Sands was fighting for his rights ergo justice.

Comment

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2013040865066

Comment

The repeats of spitting image are great. Forgotten just how good they were.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Hindsight?

The Soweto uprising was 1976. The Montreal boycott 1976. Gleneagles Agreement 1977. Protests over the 1980 Lions. NZ entering near-civil war in 1981 over a tour - both on the radar of someone married to a prominent referee. The whole bloody Commonwealth - and I mean every last member - backing sanctions. The Coventry Four found arms-dealing and released in March 1984 - and she becomes the first person since Sharpeville to bring an apartheid prime minister into Downing Street in June 1984.

It is most certainly not hindsight. It was seen for what it was at the time - repulsive support for the repulsive man who let psychopaths like De Kock loose.
                        D'Olivera was even earlier. To be a devil's advocate, was there a cold war context to Thatcher and Reagan's support of the apartheid government? I hasten to add this was one of the things she got wrong IMHO.

Comment

The life expectancy in places like Merthyr is now lower than it was before that filthy, dangerous, life-shortening industry was destroyed as a policy choice.
                          She didn't force the miners out on strike without a ballot. Sure she and Nicholas Ridley stockpiled coal safe in the knowledge that the undemocratic and corrupt Scargill would, willfully, force the miners and their families into the most obvious trap ever laid. Maybe the regard Scargill showed for himself in constantly referring to himself in the third person meant he was unable to see what was coming with his head so far up his own a*se. That is not to excuse the police BTW, just to say that Arthur Scargill was as much of a contributor to the destruction of the mines as Thatcher and Ridley.

Comment

http://newsthump.com/2013/04/08/marg...-work-by-atos/
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                              D'Olivera was even earlier. To be a devil's advocate, was there a cold war context to Thatcher and Reagan's support of the apartheid government? I hasten to add this was one of the things she got wrong IMHO.
                              May have been, but it was idiot. Australia was hardly pinko, and they weren't pro-apartheid SA. She near as damn it wrecked the - quite anti-communist - Commonwealth over it.

Comment

May have been, but it was idiot. Australia was hardly pinko, and they weren't pro-apartheid SA. She near as damn it wrecked the - quite anti-communist - Commonwealth over it.
                                One of the rumours was that the Queen was very unhappy about it precisely because of how divisive it was for the commonwealth. Apparently there was not a great deal of warmth to the relationship between the two women.

Comment

Working...
                                X