Maggie Thatcher has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"the dead piled up in morgues because the gravediggers were out"

It was a 2 week wild cat strike in a couple of areas. It's always dredged up as an example of unions out of control. I was on a wildcat strike in 1998!
    Always hated Thatcher. But hate Thatcherism more. And that is still alive and well.
    english by birth

Comment

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by munster by marriage View Post

It was a 2 week wild cat strike in a couple of areas. It's always dredged up as an example of unions out of control. I was on a wildcat strike in 1998!
        Always hated Thatcher. But hate Thatcherism more. And that is still alive and well.
        And this invalidates the rest of my post - MT was not some bizzare incubus who sprung fully formed to grab the body politic but an extreme reaction by many even outside the right wing to circumstances they observed. I did not even mention the strike at Westmister Hospital. To portray MT as many do here as some strange outsider is to underestimate the wave she rode to power, in three elections. Thatcherism was/is the expression of a selfish and self centred way of viewing the world, which prevails today as seemingly the 'only modern competitive way', but she expressed it, and did not solely form it. The problem with leftist militant strikes was that it helped her and her tendency within the Tory Party (Sir Keith Joseph, Airey Nieve and co) to kill off the centrist One Nation Tories who could at least conceive of a world where dog did not eat dog.
        Just have a read of Andy Beckett, or Dominic Sandbrook. In May 1975, legendary US political commentator, Eric Savareid said on CBS News, the 'liberal' network, that: ' Britain is drifting slowly into a condition of ungovernability' - the people and organisations who caused this were partly creators of Thatcher.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
          Surely that Muppet was sectioned over his marathon intrusion.
          Sadly no, Fitzy - saw him 'dancing' at the corner of Trafalgar Square near the National Gallery (?) St Patricks Day, 3 years ago.
          And, yes, he is a fellow Kerryman, and allowing him at liberty is doing him no favours, but that's 'Care in the Community' for you, eh?

Comment

BTW, even in a limited way, two weeks awaiting a burial, for a bereaved family, was no joke.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
              BTW, even in a limited way, two weeks awaiting a burial, for a bereaved family, was no joke.
              Here in London you are lucky to get a burial within 2 weeks.
              english by birth

Comment

In the UK, your body becomes the property of the state when you die. Strange but there you are.
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                  And this invalidates the rest of my post - MT was not some bizzare incubus who sprung fully formed to grab the body politic but an extreme reaction by many even outside the right wing to circumstances they observed. I did not even mention the strike at Westmister Hospital. To portray MT as many do here as some strange outsider is to underestimate the wave she rode to power, in three elections. Thatcherism was/is the expression of a selfish and self centred way of viewing the world, which prevails today as seemingly the 'only modern competitive way', but she expressed it, and did not solely form it. The problem with leftist militant strikes was that it helped her and her tendency within the Tory Party (Sir Keith Joseph, Airey Nieve and co) to kill off the centrist One Nation Tories who could at least conceive of a world where dog did not eat dog.
                  Just have a read of Andy Beckett, or Dominic Sandbrook. In May 1975, legendary US political commentator, Eric Savareid said on CBS News, the 'liberal' network, that: ' Britain is drifting slowly into a condition of ungovernability' - the people and organisations who caused this were partly creators of Thatcher.
                  I wasn't trying to invalidate the rest of your post - which is why I only quoted the gravedigger part.
                  I'm just saying it's not the best example.
                  english by birth

Comment

Here in London you are lucky to get a burial within 2 weeks.
                    Its 4 weeks for a spot my local crematorium.

I've told herself that when my time comes to build a bonfire at the bottom of the garden.
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                      Its 4 weeks for a spot my local crematorium.

I've told herself that when my time comes to build a bonfire at the bottom of the garden.
                      I don't think mine is going to wait for my time to come.
                      english by birth

Comment

One for Eamo

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                        X