Maggie Thatcher has died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paki View Post
    Russell Brand, of all people, has written the finest reflection on Maggie that I've seen. Really is brilliant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher
    I don't like the bould Russell but that's a great article
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Brand is becoming a very, very fine essayist.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
        Brand is becoming a very, very fine essayist.
        Worth keeping an eye on his HuffPo page alright. If you ignore the outfits, he is razor sharp in interviews and comes out with some real deep shiz.
        Biffo ate my future.

Comment

North Sea Oil. Blew the cash to buy off insurrection by - just - keeping people alive on benefits and funding the SE with the Lawson boom/bubble. Cost more than keeping the pits and mills open for a staged movement to a more competitive model, and wiped out those communities so they have, and effectively will never have, a functioning economy.
          Not a million miles different than what went on here then.
          Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

No has in the meeja has even mentioned Tony Stark, & wonder how he is feeling at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by mustermog View Post
              Not a million miles different than what went on here then.
              Very, very similar in very many respects.

Comment

North Sea Oil. Blew the cash to buy off insurrection by - just - keeping people alive on benefits and funding the SE with the Lawson boom/bubble. Cost more than keeping the pits and mills open for a staged movement to a more competitive model, and wiped out those communities so they have, and effectively will never have, a functioning economy.
                Also the opposition was unelectable at the time. Despite that her highest vote was 43% with the combined Labour/SDP/Liberal vote being over 50% in all the elections she won. But with the first-past-the-post electoral system, that made no impact.

I understand the visceral appeal of 'One Strong Leader' and though I despised everything she stood for I admired her No, No, No, speech.

But she and her party were huge tragedy for the British people. Labour must shoulder massive blame for it too,
                Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                  Also the opposition was unelectable at the time. Despite that her highest vote was 43% with the combined Labour/SDP/Liberal vote being over 50% in all the elections she won. But with the first-past-the-post electoral system, that made no impact.

I understand the visceral appeal of 'One Strong Leader' and though I despised everything she stood for I admired her No, No, No, speech.

But she and her party were huge tragedy for the British people. Labour must shoulder massive blame for it too,
                  Labour in 1983 were unelectable, no question. Their own fault. If they'd gone with SDP policies, it might have been very different. FPTP had a huge effect. But the results - when you look at fitting people up, police blocking tunnels and picking out miners going to protests, attacking pickets, blacklists, declaring people "the enemy within", dodgy dealing with dictatorships, using the courts, police and armed forces to repress dissent, the cult of the leader, nostalgia for some imagined golden age to which one must revert ("Victorian values"), hell, that second Thatcher administration mightn't have been fascist but it could see fascism with the naked eye.

Comment

Labour in 1983 were unelectable, no question. Their own fault. If they'd gone with SDP policies, it might have been very different. FPTP had a huge effect. But the results - when you look at fitting people up, police blocking tunnels and picking out miners going to protests, attacking pickets, blacklists, declaring people "the enemy within", dodgy dealing with dictatorships, using the courts, police and armed forces to repress dissent, the cult of the leader, nostalgia for some imagined golden age to which one must revert ("Victorian values"), hell, that second Thatcher administration mightn't have been fascist but it could see fascism with the naked eye.
                    The whole tone of the time was really nasty too, hateful in fact. The streets were suddenly full of homeless people and beggars. Tube stations in the City at night were full of suited braggarts swigging champagne by the neck.
                    I heard a really good argument once that it was the heartlessness of the Thatcher years - well over a decade - that turned Diana into the sainted, caring figure that she became in popular mythology. She was the one part of the establishment firmament that still valued kindness and compassion.

So when Blair turned up in Downing St that sunny morning we all wept with relief.

Comment

Stolen from TCK on facebook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	541606_318034121656280_499493534_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2476705
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loach.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	2476706

Comment

I never voted Tory in all the time I lived in England but I am not sure Major was all bad he seemed like a decent enough stick. In truth he was saddled with a party rotten to the core really. Who can ever forget the back to basics plan then the Edwina Currie revelations come on John how could you or did the Tories drink more than Biffo at conferences?

But after Thatcher he certainly seemed more decent.
                          I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6031[/ATTACH]
                            Thats very good
                            I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

Saracens are having a Minute's silence on Sunday. There is some discussion about the decision here

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                                Saracens are having a Minute's silence on Sunday. There is some discussion about the decision here
                                Hmmmm? Thought they would have played some sombre music over the tannoy
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                                X