X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buceph
    started a topic Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze

Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze

I've had problems getting to sleep for as long as I can remember. When I heard of people falling asleep within ten minutes of putting their head down I was shocked and couldn't believe it. A few months ago a doctor mentioned Melatonin to me. A few people I know in other countries where it's available OTC said it was a miracle worker. Anyone have any experience of it here?

The doctor said it was prescription only, and it's not covered on either the Medical Card or DPS but at this point if it's not too expensive I think I'll have to give it a go. I'm sick of not being able to have a normal day and night pattern.

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Damn haven't been able to sleep since I read this thread....

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
    Does your wife know she is expecting a coach load of Insomniac Munster fans at your invitation?
    Not yet

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    A good session with the missus can work although it can lead to my previous suggestion if you are not careful.
    Does your wife know she is expecting a coach load of Insomniac Munster fans at your invitation?

Leave a comment:

• No Bother
    replied
    Ahh! we love ya anyway!!!........ But!

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Ah shur we're only telling it like it is, hun, but I reckon ...Click image for larger version

Name:	Homer-Sleep.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	2476570

Leave a comment:

• No Bother
    replied
    79, Chips and HR and just dirty bastards

Leave a comment:

• No Bother
    replied
    I've lived with a crap sleeper for nearly 15 yrs now, and from my experience it's a symptom. Need to find the root cause and treat that before you start down the medication root. Changing diet and WHEN you exercise can make a massive difference.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    A good session with the missus can work although it can lead to my previous suggestion if you are not careful.

Leave a comment:

• Hugged Rugger
    replied
    Can't speak from experience but have you tried good workout in the evening? Not just before bed though, 3 hrs or so before

Leave a comment:

• cemec
    replied
    Struggled with it badly through late teens and college. Was self medicating and becoming immune. Breathing exercises, meditation, no tea or coffee at all or any food/drink after 7pm. The breathing/meditation really does help. Brings you right down after the day, can feel your mind switching off and sleep on the horizon.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Just assume you've cut out teas & coffees etc , even having a feed after 6pm doesn't help some people otherwise no help

Leave a comment:

• Blindsider.
    replied
    Originally posted by Buceph View Post
    I've had problems getting to sleep for as long as I can remember. When I heard of people falling asleep within ten minutes of putting their head down I was shocked and couldn't believe it. A few months ago a doctor mentioned Melatonin to me. A few people I know in other countries where it's available OTC said it was a miracle worker. Anyone have any experience of it here?

The doctor said it was prescription only, and it's not covered on either the Medical Card or DPS but at this point if it's not too expensive I think I'll have to give it a go. I'm sick of not being able to have a normal day and night pattern.
    Used to take melatonin a bit for jet-lag yrs ago - used to travel long-haul with work.

It seemed fairly good from what I can remember - one suggested side effect was 'vivid dreams'. I never had the dreams but I believe its not unusual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
    Some supplemental melatonin users report an increase in vivid dreaming. Extremely high doses of melatonin (50 mg) dramatically increased REM sleep time and dream activity in people both with and without narcolepsy

Don't know about taking Melatonin long-term....

Leave a comment:

• Mack the Knife
    replied
    Lullaby milk from Kanturk.

Leave a comment:

• Valencia
    replied
    Isn't there a brand of Milk made here in Ireland they milk their cows during the night (I'm not kidding) as it gives increased melatonin levels in the milk Can't remember the brand name but did see a slot on nationwide about it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X