Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze

I've had problems getting to sleep for as long as I can remember. When I heard of people falling asleep within ten minutes of putting their head down I was shocked and couldn't believe it. A few months ago a doctor mentioned Melatonin to me. A few people I know in other countries where it's available OTC said it was a miracle worker. Anyone have any experience of it here?

The doctor said it was prescription only, and it's not covered on either the Medical Card or DPS but at this point if it's not too expensive I think I'll have to give it a go. I'm sick of not being able to have a normal day and night pattern.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Originally posted by Buceph View Post
    When I heard of people falling asleep within ten minutes of putting their head down I was shocked and couldn't believe it.
    Of absolutely no benefit to you but i'm the complete opposite, I've actually fell asleep twice whilst standing up, have also been known to fall asleep mid-sentence!
    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

You have quite an apt user name then.
      I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

That and a sore hip!!!
        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Can't be of much help since I never tried it but if you do end up giving it a go then let me know how you get on. I've been stuck with insomnia since my teens and have never really done anything about it, except for loading up on painkillers when it got particularly bad. I would not recommend this solution!

If you have trouble staying asleep then ear plugs can be excellent.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

PM sent.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Had insomnia from early teens up until 28. Cure was having twins. Nothing teaches your body to take any sleep it can get like it.
              The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
              - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Have you tried mindful meditation?

http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

Or this one ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...space-sleeping
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Yeah, I've tried a few meditation techniques in the past. Mostly breathing techniques, and a few audio ones. The problem is all these solutions seem to have an effect for a few days or week, and on days I'd be falling asleep faster anyway. But then a problem week kicks up and they become useless. There's only so many times you can count your in and out breathes before you get pissed off after half an hour.

Like I said, my doctor has mentioned melatonin to me, so I'll try asking him about it again. I'll report back for those wondering about it.

Comment

It works for one or two autistic children I know that use it. Insomnia can be a common complaint with autistic people.
                    Can take a few weeks to regulate it right but once you do so seems to work.
                    Life is good

Comment

Isn't there a brand of Milk made here in Ireland they milk their cows during the night (I'm not kidding) as it gives increased melatonin levels in the milk Can't remember the brand name but did see a slot on nationwide about it.
                      Con Artist

Comment

Lullaby milk from Kanturk.
                        We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                        Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by Buceph View Post
                          I've had problems getting to sleep for as long as I can remember. When I heard of people falling asleep within ten minutes of putting their head down I was shocked and couldn't believe it. A few months ago a doctor mentioned Melatonin to me. A few people I know in other countries where it's available OTC said it was a miracle worker. Anyone have any experience of it here?

The doctor said it was prescription only, and it's not covered on either the Medical Card or DPS but at this point if it's not too expensive I think I'll have to give it a go. I'm sick of not being able to have a normal day and night pattern.
                          Used to take melatonin a bit for jet-lag yrs ago - used to travel long-haul with work.

It seemed fairly good from what I can remember - one suggested side effect was 'vivid dreams'. I never had the dreams but I believe its not unusual.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
                          Some supplemental melatonin users report an increase in vivid dreaming. Extremely high doses of melatonin (50 mg) dramatically increased REM sleep time and dream activity in people both with and without narcolepsy

Don't know about taking Melatonin long-term....
                          Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Just assume you've cut out teas & coffees etc , even having a feed after 6pm doesn't help some people otherwise no help
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Struggled with it badly through late teens and college. Was self medicating and becoming immune. Breathing exercises, meditation, no tea or coffee at all or any food/drink after 7pm. The breathing/meditation really does help. Brings you right down after the day, can feel your mind switching off and sleep on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
                              X