Help, Comreg etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, Comreg etc

I'm just after an enormous shock, when putting my Vodafone dongle into the laptop up popped your next bill is €2885.85 !!
    Account is in my wife's name so she called. They told us there was massive activity on 14/2, we were in Kerry & remember my 11 yr old was trying to download a game. He was def on for a couple of hours & i agree I should have been more aware but nearly 3 grand!! Is there not something where they should have called us to say 'unusual activity'?? Our normal bill was 20 quid a month. They said it should have cut off! I feel sick don't have that kind of money spare.

How can this be fought or is it fait accompli??
    Con Artist

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
    I'm just after an enormous shock, when putting my Vodafone dongle into the laptop up popped your next bill is €2885.85 !!
    Account is in my wife's name so she called. They told us there was massive activity on 14/2, we were in Kerry & remember my 11 yr old was trying to download a game. He was def on for a couple of hours & i agree I should have been more aware but nearly 3 grand!! Is there not something where they should have called us to say 'unusual activity'?? Our normal bill was 20 quid a month. They said it should have cut off! I feel sick don't have that kind of money spare.

You'd need to be certain it was that activity that caused it first and foremost. What manner was he trying to download it with, torrenting or a straight source download?

Torrenting is download & upload. Can devour a monthly allowance in a matter of moments
    I am the million man.

Comment

Ask him what game he was trying to download. Where he was downloading it from. And what's your usage cap? (As in how many GBs are included for €20, and what's the charge for downloads after that?)
      I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

If you are on direct debit cancel it immediately.

It is always easier to dispute and negotiate over a bill you still owe.

Comment

That's crazy! I think Vodafone charge 0.02 cent for every mb, after you exceed the allowance. If that's the case, you would have downloaded 144Gb. I don't think there's a game of that size. Sounds like a vodafone error.

Comment

Throw the onus back on them,ask them why their system didn't cut it off?

Comment

Can offer no advice but that sounds crazy nowadays that there's no alert that must be accepted to continue.

Give Comreg a buzz anyway.

Comment

I've just dropped out home, am on a 24hr shift but boss gave me an hour. Broke my heart, young lad is in floods. We have Internet at home & rarely use the dongle, we use it if we go down to Kerry for a few days or rarely I'd bring it to work.

As such last month to save money Mrs V reduced the tariff from €19.99 to €5. But apparently our allowance dropped from 10GB to just 300mb. The guy from Vodafone said it's €1 for every mb over! We reckon the download was about 2-3Gb on that day on his game. To be fair the guy told Mrs to cancel the debit nonetheless that won't make it go away. Wondered if anyone here knew if they were obliged to contact you or like he said it should have cut off. I was browsing for an hour or 2 a couple of weeks ago, makes me sick to think that every click was adding to that bill €1 per mb
                Con Artist

Comment

Val, worth throwing up a post on the talk to Vodafone section on boards.ie I know they can be pretty decent for that kind of stuff.
                  "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

See you've replied in the meantime.

Still get them to send you all the details.
                    Last edited by fitzy73; 24th-March-2013, 20:06.
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Iv heard of people cutting deals before to pay a fraction of phone bills and stuff when this has happened. It's not like it's actually physically cost them anything. Play hardball. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
                        Iv heard of people cutting deals before to pay a fraction of phone bills and stuff when this has happened. It's not like it's actually physically cost them anything. Play hardball. Good luck
                        Correct. Costs them nothing. Challenge and fight it as much as you can. Tell tnem youll go to the papers etc. and, if you have to, do.

Might be worth €50 to get a solicitors take on it .... also print off contract and go through it yourself ...

Best of luck Val.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions really appreciate it.

Thing is, that amount was downloaded so by the letter of the law I'm liable. Although we there was no alarm or cut off??

I will do my best to fight it but right at this minute I've no fight left in me. Few things not going our way lately now fighting a phone company was needed like a hole in the head. Know others have worse situations. Feel like such a clown now
                          Con Artist

Comment

If their system should have cut it off and they've stated this on e-mail or paper then do not pay them a penny over your 20squids. But this is SURELY a billing error.
                            Ask them for a detailed explanation of the bill.
                            How much was downloaded? What times was the connection active? What beacons it was active on? Can they tell you what was the throughput on the connection at peak times and at minimum.
                            On a 2.5 Mbps connection (which I believe most vodafone sticks are, ymmv), it would take about 10 days to grab 288gb of data. Which at the 0.1c per Kb that you're being charged is what your bill kind of works out at.
                            Continuously downloading, at maximum speed, for ten days.
                            Unless miraculously you were roaming in Kerry from a ship off shore or an aircraft that was hovering overhead for an inordinate amount of time then there is NO WAY you can rack up this bill in Ireland.
                            It's an error.
                            Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

Comment

I've just dropped out home, am on a 24hr shift but boss gave me an hour. Broke my heart, young lad is in floods. We have Internet at home & rarely use the dongle, we use it if we go down to Kerry for a few days or rarely I'd bring it to work.

As such last month to save money Mrs V reduced the tariff from €19.99 to €5. But apparently our allowance dropped from 10GB to just 300mb. The guy from Vodafone said it's €1 for every mb over! We reckon the download was about 2-3Gb on that day on his game. To be fair the guy told Mrs to cancel the debit nonetheless that won't make it go away. Wondered if anyone here knew if they were obliged to contact you or like he said it should have cut off. I was browsing for an hour or 2 a couple of weeks ago, makes me sick to think that every click was adding to that bill €1 per mb
                              That is outrageous. Play it as hard as you can V. They tried to rob me for fifty quid last year on roaming charges. They settle for a fiver. You should get out of this for about two hundred. Good luck
                              Definition of Insanity. Playing the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result.

Comment

Working...
                              X