Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best wishes to Pope Francis I

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best wishes to Pope Francis I

    A thread for those of a certain age who are not filled with hatred for the Roman Catholic Church.

    I wish the new Pontiff all the best in his endeavours to make the Church relevant to peoples lives.

    #2
    Likewise, I wish him well for his papacy.

    Comment


      #3
      If he can make inroads into resolving the child abuse scandals....he'll have done great job.


      Maybe give the papal curia a good shake up while he's at it.

      I wish him well in doing so.
      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
        If he can make inroads into resolving the child abuse scandals....he'll have done great job.


        Maybe give the papal curia a good shake up while he's at it.

        I wish him well in doing so.
        potentially he has made huge inroads into resolving child abuse by not being his (hugely) tainted predecessor
        \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

        Comment


          #5
          Just read that he popped into his hotel himself to pick up his luggage and to pay his bill, didn't send a minnion around to do it. He was known also to celebrate open air masses in Buenos Aires with prostitutes and the homeless

          I'm a seriously lapsed Catholic, to the point that I'm not one anymore, but even in the early stages of this, I think I'm going to like this guy.
          Con Artist

          Comment


            #6
            I would like to think that he couldn't be as bad as the last incumbent but don't wish to tempt fate... hopefully he'll be better and good luck to him if he is

            Comment


              #7
              For my first post in this thread, I would like to express my fervent wish that the new Pope will be a revolutionary force for good within the Catholic church and the wider world. This means that I hope I can look forward to him achieving many things;

              • proclaiming an enlightened interpretation of scriptures which places a much stronger emphasis on love, respect, tolerance and hope rather than on judgement, guilt, sin and condemnation
              • as an example of the above, removing the bar to same sex marriage within the church
              • a clarification that the scriptures are meant for the most part as allegory, were written for the benefit of a rather small group of desert-dwellers, and are generally not to be literally interpreted today, particularly with regard to the creation of existence and any consequences for "sinning" which involve killing or maiming any individual
              • a full and frank acknowledgement of the responsibility the church bears in relation to the abuse of its own most vulnerable people, as well as a simple and meaningful apology for same which will be devoid of any legal or other obfuscation and renewed bi-annually at Christmas and Easter
              • an instruction to those various religious orders responsible for the abuse of the most vulnerable people in society to sell whatever assets they have in order to meaningfully compensate all their victims, leading by example with the sale of many of the Vatican's own treasures for this purpose
              • a bold step towards equality for women and homosexuals by opening up to both groups the possibility of becoming priests, bishops, archbishops and cardinals, and consistently encouraging them to do so
              • an end to the elevation of ritual above meaning, starting with the abolition of compulsory weekly worship for adherents to the faith
              • frequent public statements reminding the world at large that the use of condoms is an entirely acceptable and effective way to prevent the spread of STDs including AIDS, as well as reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancy
              • an end to the requirement for priestly celibacy.


              He's the pope. He can do all of this.
              Tis but a scratch.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                For my first post in this thread, I would like to express my fervent wish that the new Pope will be a revolutionary force for good within the Catholic church and the wider world. This means that I hope I can look forward to him achieving many things;

                • proclaiming an enlightened interpretation of scriptures which places a much stronger emphasis on love, respect, tolerance and hope rather than on judgement, guilt, sin and condemnation
                • as an example of the above, removing the bar to same sex marriage within the church
                • a clarification that the scriptures are meant for the most part as allegory, were written for the benefit of a rather small group of desert-dwellers, and are generally not to be literally interpreted today, particularly with regard to the creation of existence and any consequences for "sinning" which involve killing or maiming any individual
                • a full and frank acknowledgement of the responsibility the church bears in relation to the abuse of its own most vulnerable people, as well as a simple and meaningful apology for same which will be devoid of any legal or other obfuscation and renewed bi-annually at Christmas and Easter
                • an instruction to those various religious orders responsible for the abuse of the most vulnerable people in society to sell whatever assets they have in order to meaningfully compensate all their victims, leading by example with the sale of many of the Vatican's own treasures for this purpose
                • a bold step towards equality for women and homosexuals by opening up to both groups the possibility of becoming priests, bishops, archbishops and cardinals, and consistently encouraging them to do so
                • an end to the elevation of ritual above meaning, starting with the abolition of compulsory weekly worship for adherents to the faith
                • frequent public statements reminding the world at large that the use of condoms is an entirely acceptable and effective way to prevent the spread of STDs including AIDS, as well as reducing the risk of unwanted pregnancy
                • an end to the requirement for priestly celibacy.


                He's the pope. He can do all of this.
                Agree with almost every word of that.
                The pope cannot change those though. If he understood that he wouldn't be pope.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I've moved the thread hijack posts (all 88 of them) over to the pope idol thread.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Drick View Post
                    I've moved the thread hijack posts (all 88 of them) over to the pope idol thread.
                    I'm glad then I haven't totally lost the plot.
                    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Roman Catholic Church has a lot on it's plate, some of it very unsavoury. If he manages to get those responsible to come clean on the likes of the 2 major issues uncovered here and also manages to bring the Vatican bank and the curia under some control he'll be deemed good (maybe great). But he's 76 and the last guy who tried to do that lasted literally days.

                      From what I know of his background he seems to be a genuine good guy with a knack of managing to just keep one step ahead of his enemies. And I liked the fact that he addressed the crowd not in Latin (or even Italian) but in Romanesco as their brother and servant bishop; Nice touch.

                      Wish the guy all the best; he might need it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Drick View Post
                        I've moved the thread hijack posts (all 88 of them) over to the pope idol thread.
                        I object to this. My original comment was on topic. I did not hijack this post, I observed - in my own way - that the optimism felt by moderate catholics for the new pope was misplaced, given the guy's record.

                        However, having been reared a Catholic in Ireland I fully understand that my dissent from the MF.com Curia is pointless, will be ignored and I will be dismissed as a malcontent crank.
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          oh oh.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Have I done it again?
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Very slow off the mark there Rathbaner. 12th post ffs. Try to keep up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X