The Hard Sell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hard Sell

For any of you out there with elderly parents the following might be worth noting

During a call last night with my dad, he mentioned that some guy had 'sold him a telephone package' Much cheaper than Eircom etc etc. Would I check out this company for him, even though he had already signed!!

I asked him to ring the guy back and to cancel that he was entitled to a 10 day cooling off period. He rang and the guy said 'yeah no problem etc'. Just in case I told him to ring the company office this morning to ensure that it was indeed cancelled. He was told 'You're tied in for 6 months' (not true)

Got him to ring back again to say he 'was entitled to a cooling off period and did not want the package'. They then proceeded to give him the Hard Sell 'Why would you not want to save €10 a month?', 'Eircom are an English company now', 'The Govt have taken away your free calls' etc. I've since banged off an email on his behalf, but just thought I'd mention it in case you may want to remind your older folk, to run things past you BEFORE signing anything.
    Con Artist

Valencia,

what was the company ? They are also obliged to put him on to an fully independant 3rd party for TPV who should do a little vetting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nuke View Post
      Valencia,

what was the company ? They are also obliged to put him on to an fully independant 3rd party for TPV who should do a little vetting as well.
      Pure Telecom

I've had an email back from them, saying that they'll investigate
      Probably on account that I told them that I'd put it on as many social media forums to 'advise' people to be careful. Would contact Comreg and would issue proceedings if they land him with a bill.
      Con Artist

Comment

Good advice Valencia but could I suggest that it be recommended to everyone and not just older people. Due to many peoples continued and worsening financial woes, it is very easy for these sales people to "suck em in" with mere words like "saving" or "cheaper". People who once might have been smart enough for these sales people might now find themselves getting roped in due to enforced desperate measures to save a few quid.

I had a person call to my door last night from an electricity company. He was representing the opposite company to whom we get our Elec supply from. He was VERY smart and sneaky in how he introduced himself, saying how we might have noticed our Elec bill has gone very high recently and that they are making adjustments to our meter readings etc... If I had not known who we got our Elec supply from I would have been sure we got it from his company by the way he was talking and would probably have left him in the door.

Thankfully I was aware who our supply is from and also that my GF used be in sales years ago and has shared with me a few tricks to watch out for such as them saying "you might have noticed your bill has gone very high" straight after Xmas when of course every bill is bound to be a bit higher than normal and so on.

Sales people will exploit people no problem as most of them are paid on commission so they will try every trick in the book. There are of course savings to be made but my advice would be to ask whoever is trying to sell you something for a leaflet or pamphlet etc.. on the product they are selling for you to take away and read in your own time so you can make an informed decision.

DON'T make spur of the moment decisions.

Comment

As a general principle I have found not taking anyone up on any unsolicited offers is a safe bet.

Comment

When I first came to London some 10 plus years, it was all in vogue to get you to change supplier by house to house calls.

I was doorstepped by one of the Lecky suppliers. Told him I wasn't interested, to he said, "no problem, can you just sign here to say I contacted you?". Stupidly, I did, and spent 3 months trying to get out of the contract I had actually signed.

So a) make sure you agree to anything verbally and b) NEVER sign anything!
            Last edited by fitzy73; 7th-March-2013, 18:17.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

If you've any issues with telecoms suppliers and are sending them an email, cc comreg, that usually gets things moving

consumerline@comreg.ie

Comment

If you have foolishly signed a standing order/direct debit mandate because of one of these hard sells give your bank a written instruction to cancel same.

Do not assume it will not be acted upon.

Comment

Originally posted by bugler View Post
                  As a general principle I have found not taking anyone up on any unsolicited offers is a safe bet.
                  This.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
                  "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

all the above unless it suits your agenda. I used thst comparitive site that OD put up on energy suppliers and my best was to move to Electric Ireland. I dud the "must do that ... someday" mental note. I hadn't got around to it until Mr Electric ireland called to the door 2 days ago. asked for his ID and signed up. Sometimes it can work.

However my neighbour was in and her 18 year old got caught out on the trouble with your computer call and logged them into the laptop.
                    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
                      Pure Telecom

I've had an email back from them, saying that they'll investigate
                      Probably on account that I told them that I'd put it on as many social media forums to 'advise' people to be careful. Would contact Comreg and would issue proceedings if they land him with a bill.
                      You should contact Comreg and complain anyway, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                        You should contact Comreg and complain anyway, just in case.
                        Have done Point thanks, they sent me a copy of the calls, have listened to them. He is there saying I want to cancel, and they're busy trying to convince him to move to a different package, why don't you try it for a few months, and then you can move etc, he just sounds more and more confused and keeps saying No I want to cancel.
                        I'm not impressed in the least.
                        Con Artist

Comment

I have a simple rule that I never but anything off door-to-door salespeople, or unsolicited phone calls.

I was lured into stupid contracts in the past too. Once bitten etc. etc.
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I think that taking advantage of old folks is particularly sharp practice.
                            Con Artist

Comment

Don't tarnish all salespeople with the same brush folks. Good advice on the thread re unsolicited calls. Just calmly and politely say "I don't make decisions on my doorstep/on the fly; leave or send me a leaflet or give me a link to your website please".

Report anything you feel is unscrupulous to either the regulator if there is one, AND the company the rep claims to represent.
                              Often these are agents employed by third party outfits, to whom the company have outsourced the sales campaign effort. This is the scenario in which corners are most likely to be cut, as there's no direct connection & loyalty between company & agent.

Perhaps if we demanded better standards of it as a function, then the calibre of people involved in it would improve.

Might also help if quite so many of us didn't look down our noses somewhat at someone who earns their living from selling.

But sharp practice - take a heavy mallet to it. Don't presume others will and leave it up to them. Fair dues for reporting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X