Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pentagon's link to Iraqi Torture Centres...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pentagon's link to Iraqi Torture Centres...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...e-centres-link

Special forces veterans of the Dirty Wars in Latin America, reporting directly to Petraeus and Rumsfeld, were hands on in the set up of torture centres and organisations of sectarian paramilitaries.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Comment

Torture tends to get results despite what you may think of it on a moral level. Was well portrayed in zero dark thirty
      Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
        Torture tends to get results despite what you may think of it on a moral level. Was well portrayed in zero dark thirty
        But what kind of truth does it get?

I'd confess to murdering Santa Claus if someone had electrodes attached to my nuts.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

It gets information, not results. It got confessions out of the Guildford 4 for instance. And how can you separate it from a moral level?

It's unspeakable. Utterly barbaric. And it doesn't work.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post

I'd confess to murdering Santa Claus if someone had electrodes attached to my nuts.
            So would I
            Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              It gets information, not results. It got confessions out of the Guildford 4 for instance. And how can you separate it from a moral level?

It's unspeakable. Utterly barbaric. And it doesn't work.
              Agree with you that it is unspeakable and utterly barbaric but most things that are deemed not to work tend to go out of usage. The problem with torture is that, as terrible as it is, it does sadly work which is why people in power have used it for thousands of years.

Comment

Key statement there is Information, not necessarily correct information. Drug them and get the info that way.

The only time I could even slightly defend torture is when a child is missing and you have the suspect and can maybe find the child- but even then clever pharmaceuticals seem to be a more likely route (but what would I know about the merits of various interrogation methods)
                "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

Torture is used to terrorise, not necessarily to get accurate timely information.
                  If you thought that mouthing off about the local despot would earn you a meeting with the electrodes and a sizzling sensation where your genitalia used to be, you'll keep your mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                    Agree with you that it is unspeakable and utterly barbaric but most things that are deemed not to work tend to go out of usage. The problem with torture is that, as terrible as it is, it does sadly work which is why people in power have used it for thousands of years.
                    People in power have used it because, as mentioned above, it serves to scare the ****e out of the populace. And because a number of them personally enjoyed it.

Comment

So would I

And that's before they even turn the electricity on.

Comment

I'd actually murder him if they did have electrodes on the old gonads
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Think it was John Cleese who said that his absolute nightmare would be to be tortured for information which he did not have.

Comment

Working...
                          X