Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safari or Yellowstone National Park

Hi

Im planning/hoping to either go on safari in Africa or to Yellowstone National Park in USA in mid October.

Anyone recommend one over the other or recommend one in particular?? I relaise mid October might be cutting it fine with Yellowstone as regards weather

Thanks
    There Rice krispie cakes not buns

i'm sure you can't go wrong with either... but i did the masai mara (kenya) safari trip last year and i thought it was genuinely awesome.

went for a bargain basement package and it was cracking.

Comment

Sorry to gatecrash your thread but I was only looking at Yosemite yesterday as part of a summer trip. How does that compare with Yellowstone?

Comment

+1 Wideboy. Anyone any tips for San Fran/LA and Yosemite etc? I have to go to a family wedding there in July so may as well make a proper holiday of it?
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Haven't been to Yellowstone, but Yosemite is incredible. Amazing range of environments, good climbing/trekking, lakes, the lot.

My only tip re: LA is not to bother. If you've time in San Francisco or San Diego extend it. Santa Monica was ok at the tail end of a two week trip around California, but we ended up wishing we'd hung on in San Diego instead.

Happy to answer any specifics if you have them. It's an incredible place all round.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            Haven't been to Yellowstone, but Yosemite is incredible. Amazing range of environments, good climbing/trekking, lakes, the lot.

My only tip re: LA is not to bother. If you've time in San Francisco or San Diego extend it. Santa Monica was ok at the tail end of a two week trip around California, but we ended up wishing we'd hung on in San Diego instead.

Happy to answer any specifics if you have them. It's an incredible place all round.
            I would agree with that. Spent four weeks there almost eight years ago.

Highlights, San Fran, Sonoma, San Diego and Grand Canyon, drive along the 101 picking off pebble beach, Hearst castle etc

Low light, LA and Palm Springs ( although we did get to go to a Dodgers game in LA)

Not Bothered Either Way ; Vegas ( but I guess if you are close....)

Probably one of my favourite highlights was the trip to Alcatraz, if you are in San Fran pre book this, I loved it.

Comment

If you're going to Africa, seriously consider going to Namibia and on to Botswana - the Okavango. A few years back, drove north over four days from Cape Town to Windhoek, got on a tour there for 14 days through Etosha and the Okavango and on to Vic Falls. Saw the Big Five, crocodiles, the lot. Plus, Namibia's an amazing place.
              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

I would say that safari was all about the wildlife, whilst Yellowstone/Yosemite is all about the scenery/landscape - so which ever is your priority - whilst each has some of the other they're certainly very different. Would think mod-october would be pushing Yellowstone but might be ok for Yosemite. There's more to California than just Yosemite, it has some of the best national parks (Kings Canyon, Pinnacles etc )

T78's Namibia/Botswana sounds like a great trip too.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

This.

Stay away from LA. It's a hole. Either go south to San Diego or I'd advise taking the coast road north to San Francisco. Do it over a few days and stop in Santa Barbara and Monterey etc.

Disclaimer, Mrs Masterchief is from Santa Barbara and I think the place is amazing.
                  "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Hated LA also, liked San Fran and loved San Diego. Big fan of Vegas also. Some alright spots down the coast west of LA but only passing through. Depends on what you're looking for, San Fran a bit cool in summer, San Diego great spot with all the beaches and what goes with them (and on them!). Always love Vegas, but not to everybody's taste. Hot as **** in summer, 40 degrees constant.

Comment

Parents did a tour of the West coast etc two years ago. LA, as stated above would be avoided the next time they went.
                      They also said it was worth paying extra to see the best parts of the grand canyon. Most people only see the tail end of it.

Other than that, Snowdonia National Park is a savage spot.
                      The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                      Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Went whale watching in Monterey. Fantastic day. We saw humpbacks, blue whales and a whole load of sea lions and dolphins.
                        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Jellystone!

I will pay close attention to this thread because when they are all a bit older I would love to do that tour in a Winnebago.
                          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Smarter than the average Park, Boo-Boo.....
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                              Jellystone!

I will pay close attention to this thread because when they are all a bit older I would love to do that tour in a Winnebago.
                              I saw a couple of people navigating very narrow, winding roads along the edge of mountains around Yosemite in those. Would agree with your decision not to attempt it until your loved ones are set up and good to go

Comment

Working...
                              X