RIP: Text Updates From a Match

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP: Text Updates From a Match

Pixie's post to McCloud (get better soon lad) made me realise, the days of text updates from a match not being televised must be over by now. There's usually a twitter stream to follow, and someone could always post straight to the forums from their smart phone. No longer will there be a chain of technicians deploying posts from some wet and windy away match.

Let's bow our heads in respect to the text update.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

I did the text updates once for McCloud from Musgrave. The weather had been atrocious and when we pulled up to Musgrave the clouds parted and it was a beautiful evening. As I relayed that information to him for Munsterfans, he decided I must have been trollied!

It would seem the twitter twatter of rugby studs is the way to follow.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Tis a bit of an acquired skill to text updates and also watch the game, especially when using a touchscreen rather than the physical buttons you can use without looking. "Try Danny Barnes!!" (Feck - has that conversion already been taken?? Did it go over??) Next thing comes the reply - "Converted? What's the score now?" Ah fer jaysus' sake ....

A few years ago I was to text the updates to McCloud from a game between Ulster Ravens and Munster A. Just about managed to get out of work in time to only arrive a couple of minutes late and tore down the road to Ravenhill. Parked up, scurried around and through the big open gates ... to find the place deserted. A few seconds of WTF? later, I remembered that this game was on in Shaw's Bridge. ARSE! Happily, the former chief executive of Ulster Rugby happened to be driving out and offered me a lift round, so I only missed the first 10-15 minutes. "Hope Chippy's gone to the right ground this time" was a bit of a recurring theme after that ...
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Ahh the smart phone is grand,its less hastle for the others.

Comment

Working...
        X