Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resigning Pope No Longer Has Strength To Lead Church Backward

Linkage

VATICAN CITY—Citing his advancing age and deteriorating health, Pope Benedict XVI announced his resignation from the papacy Monday, saying he no longer possessed the strength and energy required to lead the Catholic Church backward.
    According to the 85-year-old pontiff, after considerable prayer and reflection on his physical stamina and mental acuity, he concluded that his declining faculties left him unable to helm the Church’s ambitious regressive agenda and guide the faith’s one billion global followers on their steady march away from modernity and cultural advancement.
    “It is with sadness, but steadfast conviction, that I announce I am no longer capable of impeding social progress with the energy and endurance that is required of the highest ministry in the Roman Catholic Church,” Benedict reportedly said in Latin to the Vatican’s highest cardinals. “While I’m proud of the strides the Church has made over the past eight years, from thwarting AIDS-prevention efforts in Africa to failing to punish or even admit to decades of sexual abuse of children at the hands of clergy, it has become evident to me that, in this rapidly evolving world, I now lack the capacity to continue guiding this faith back centuries.”
    “Thus, I must step down from the papacy,” he added. “But let me assure every member of the Church that the Vatican’s commitment to narrow-mindedness and social obstruction will long live on after my departure.”
    Word of Benedict’s resignation—the first for a sitting pope in nearly 600 years—reportedly stunned the world’s Catholic faithful, many of whom believed the German-born pontiff still had years of stymieing female advancement in Church roles, opposing stem cell research, and inflaming tensions with Jews, Muslims, and Anglicans left in him.
    Other members of the faith, however, said they recognized the Holy Father had, as of late, grown slower and more feeble in his ability to block measures regarding scientific discovery and same-sex rights. Many believers expressed appreciation that Benedict recognized his limitations at obstructing society’s advancement, and admitted feeling a sense of excitement that a new pontiff could reinvigorate the faith’s obsolete ideology and guide the Church toward bold social norms unseen since the Middle Ages.
    “I’ll always appreciate what Benedict XVI did for limiting my ability to receive basic health care services,” said devout Catholic Ana Maria Fernández of Buenos Aires. “He was a visionary leader who was undaunted by modern realities and social trends, always vowing to triumph over modern ideals of fairness, equality, and in many cases, even basic human compassion to achieve a darker, far more regressive world for all of us.”
    “I doubt we’ll ever find another leader so committed to reversing society’s natural progression of post-Enlightenment values,” Fernández added. “He will truly be missed.”
    Responding to the widespread outpouring of shock and sadness surrounding his resignation, Benedict issued a brief statement Monday afternoon consoling his followers, assuring them that “the Church’s most ignorant and regressive days still lie ahead of us.”
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
      All jokes aside, people can obviously wonder why the Pope has taken this decision to resign at this time, a first for 600/700 years.
      A story that broke in 2009/10 here in US in the state of Wisconsin, but was somewhat lost in the avalanche of abuse stories may or may not have something to do with, but the story will resurface on a massive scale in Europe because of the February 15th release date of Mea Maxima Culpa movie...Silence in the house of God...it was released in US last Sept/Oct.

For those not aware of the basics of the story its about Fr Lawrence Murphy...who molested and sexually abused over 200 deaf kids ina Wisconsin school.

" The Wisconsin case involved an American priest, the Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy, who worked at a renowned school for deaf children from 1950 to 1974. But it is only one of thousands of cases forwarded over decades by bishops to the Vatican office called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, led from 1981 to 2005 by Cardinal Ratzinger. It is still the office that decides whether accused priests should be given full canonical trials and defrocked"

"In 1996, Cardinal Ratzinger failed to respond to*two letters about the case
      *from*Rembert G. Weakland,Milwaukee’s archbishop at the time. After eight months, the second in command at the doctrinal office, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, now the Vatican’s secretary of state,*instructed the Wisconsin bishops to begin a secret canonical trial
      *that could lead to Father Murphy’s dismissal"

Read the full extracts here

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/wo...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/us...pagewanted=all

Its shows the mentality of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith(CDF ) led by Ratzinger ...and how only certain documents were made available after years of legal wrangling...

This particular story in Wisconsin is horrific and the part the future Pope played in it...

Whilst its only one of countless abuse cases this one will flash round the world via the most persuasive form of media...a movie ..and a movie-documentary that will get a few Oscars.

I've seen the documentary and from there read more about the case....firstly I'll admit im not Catholic...but he Ratzinger should die in shame for the role he played in the CDF.
      The arrogance of these 'priests' who think their 'church' is more important than justice or truth.
      If their church cannot stand in the truth then it is a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
        The arrogance of these 'priests' who think their 'church' is more important than justice or truth.
        If their church cannot stand in the truth then it is a failure.

They believe in God! Why would you be supprised at what they think?

Comment

Originally posted by shanners View Post

They believe in God! Why would you be supprised at what they think?
          So do I.

Comment

"If you believe something.......it is a lie.
            If you be it.........it is true"

Matt Williams.
            Last edited by MrsMcGahan; 12th-February-2013, 12:15.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsMcGahan View Post
              If you believe something.......it is a lie.
              If you be it.........it is true.
              ...and Gandhi believed Christianity to be a very good idea.
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Gandy, when asked what he thought of Western 'Civilisation' said:

"I am thinking it would be a very good idea"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	use-the-force-harry-10417.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2476113
                  "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                    All jokes aside, people can obviously wonder why the Pope has taken this decision to resign at this time, a first for 600/700 years.
                    A story that broke in 2009/10 here in US in the state of Wisconsin, but was somewhat lost in the avalanche of abuse stories may or may not have something to do with, but the story will resurface on a massive scale in Europe because of the February 15th release date of Mea Maxima Culpa movie...Silence in the house of God...it was released in US last Sept/Oct.

For those not aware of the basics of the story its about Fr Lawrence Murphy...who molested and sexually abused over 200 deaf kids ina Wisconsin school.

" The Wisconsin case involved an American priest, the Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy, who worked at a renowned school for deaf children from 1950 to 1974. But it is only one of thousands of cases forwarded over decades by bishops to the Vatican office called the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, led from 1981 to 2005 by Cardinal Ratzinger. It is still the office that decides whether accused priests should be given full canonical trials and defrocked"

"In 1996, Cardinal Ratzinger failed to respond to*two letters about the case
                    *from*Rembert G. Weakland,Milwaukee’s archbishop at the time. After eight months, the second in command at the doctrinal office, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, now the Vatican’s secretary of state,*instructed the Wisconsin bishops to begin a secret canonical trial
                    *that could lead to Father Murphy’s dismissal"

Read the full extracts here

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/wo...anted=all&_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/27/us...pagewanted=all

Its shows the mentality of the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith(CDF ) led by Ratzinger ...and how only certain documents were made available after years of legal wrangling...

This particular story in Wisconsin is horrific and the part the future Pope played in it...

Whilst its only one of countless abuse cases this one will flash round the world via the most persuasive form of media...a movie ..and a movie-documentary that will get a few Oscars.

I've seen the documentary and from there read more about the case....firstly I'll admit im not Catholic...but he Ratzinger should die in shame for the role he played in the CDF.
                    I thought it was fairly well known he had done a great deal of **** all when in the position to take action as a cardinal? Not sure this will be massive news to people in a position to actually do something other than whine incessantly on phone ins. His handling of the whole affair as pope has been a bucket of ****e as well. The 'look I mumbled sorry now shut the **** up about it' approach he seemed to be taking hacked off a lot of people. I wouldn't be surprised if now is just a good time to move him aside before he continues to make a mess of this. Big question is who gets it, progressive who might be willing to take the hit on the damage and confront the problem or an old timer looking to do a better job of sweeping it all under the carpet.
                    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]5345[/ATTACH]
                      Great advice he learned from a very logical Captain Worf the android.
                      I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

Why all the excitement folks...? The head of state of v. small (still feudal) country is stepping down........

Have we found a solution to the fuel crisis or the bank debt...?

Comment

Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post
                          Why all the excitement folks...? The head of state of v. small (still feudal) country is stepping down........

the solution to the fuel crisis was found years ago, stop building masses of massive gas gussling super tankers for fat people to ride around America in. :_wink__rvmp_by_bad_
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by 99_oK? View Post

yes, raid said small feudal country and pay off debts and fund renewable energy exploration.
                            Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                              yes, raid said small feudal country and pay off debts and fund renewable energy exploration.
                              Ireland doesn't even really need to explore the renewable options. We already know the best for us is tidal. Unfortunately it's extremely difficult to do tidal properly because it's expensive to research, partly because it's extremely expensive to prototype that research. Wind was the low hanging fruit, because wind power is cheap, but it's unreliable whereas if we don't have tides we don't have the moon* and that'll mean we're pretty screwed.

*Feck off, I'm generalising. I'm looking at you especially Piquet.
                              I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

We seem to produce an abundance of hot air, mainly on here. EO has more rabbit than Sainsburys today.
                                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                                X