Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a Smartphone (Pay as you go, €250 and under)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend a Smartphone (Pay as you go, €250 and under)

The missus is due a change of phone. We were late converts to smartphones (I have an iphone and enjoy it despite myself)

does anyone have experience of some of the more common smartphones doing the rounds the past couple of years? She is not looking for something too flash, and price is an issue. She won't be paying 4 or 5 hundred euro for one.

A few that caught my eye were:

Nokia lumia 800
    HTC Desire X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini
    HTC Windows phone 8s

Vodafone stocked handsets are preferred, and we have crunched the numbers and bill pay doesn't add up for her.

Of those the nokia or htc desire x would be the better phones imo.
    Get her to try out the 2 os' s Windows and Android and see which she feels more comfortable with.
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Try a Huawei. More bang for your buck.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        Try a Huawei. More bang for your buck.
        This man speaketh the truth!
        "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If Going Android stick to Samsung or Motorola as HTC are switching over to Windows so patches/updates may be a bit sparse for their android handsets.
          the Motorola Razr i is a lovely phone but unfortunately too pricey in ireland.... though there is supposed to be budget variety coming out soon from Lenovo .. just not sure if/when it'll be available in Ireland.
          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass View Post
            If Going Android stick to Samsung or Motorola as HTC are switching over to Windows so patches/updates may be a bit sparse for their android handsets.
            Sorry LL, that's incorrect. The HTC M7 is due next month It's Android and it looks to be the flagship HTC phone for the next while. It looks to be the Android phone to beat too if the specs are to be believed.
            "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief View Post
              Sorry LL, that's incorrect. The HTC M7 is due next month It's Android and it looks to be the flagship HTC phone for the next while. It looks to be the Android phone to beat too if the specs are to be believed.
              Good to know masterchef. I'm due an upgrade shortly, and HTC need to up their game.
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                Good to know masterchef. I'm due an upgrade shortly, and HTC need to up their game.
                I'm due one too and I'm hoping the reviews for the M7 are good. I've been holding off upgrading for 6 months now.

Comment

Vertu Ti only €7,900-€14,800.
                  Thats €250 euros a month for 2.5 years.
                  The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                  Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I don't carry a cellphone but we just got the missus a Samsung Y from Tesco (60 euros if you order on web-80 in store) and it's fine. It has wifi etc and apps . She pays Tesco 10 euro a month for 20 euro of credit - we do same for 14 year old and it seems to work well.
                    I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
                    HL Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Eamo View Post
                      I don't carry a cellphone but we just got the missus a Samsung Y from Tesco (60 euros if you order on web-80 in store) and it's fine. It has wifi etc and apps . She pays Tesco 10 euro a month for 20 euro of credit - we do same for 14 year old and it seems to work well.
                      In fairness the Samsung Y isn't a bad phone and at that price it's hard to argue.

Comment

Sony Xperia Z will be available on emobile shortly I'm reading. Any good?

Comment

a friend has one of these a lot of phone for the money
                          http://android-sale.com/hdc-galaxy-s3-plus-phone.html

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                            Sony Xperia Z will be available on emobile shortly I'm reading. Any good?
                            Sony meh.

Try this beast.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2013/01/10/...id-smartphone/
                            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

That's humungous!

Comment

Working...
                              X