Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky Broadband

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking13.html

Sky Ireland has begun offering home broadband and phone services to Irish customers, as it enters the "triple play" market in Ireland.

The addition of the DSL broadband service, which goes on sale from today, comes a few months after the pay TV company unveiled its video on demand offering that allows customers to watch content broadcast by the TV firm whenever they want.
    The company is using BT Ireland's wholesale broadband to deliver the 24Mb service to its customers, with Eircom's network utilised in areas where BT's services are not offered.
    Sky is offering two services to customers: Sky Broadband Lite, which caps usage at 2GB; and an unlimited package aimed at users of video services such as on demand TV.
    Basic phone services are also included as part of the service, with free calls at evening and weekends to certain numbers.
    Both broadband services will offer theoretical speeds of up to 24Mb/sec, but a Sky Ireland spokesman said the company would perform line tests to give potential customers a better idea of the kind of speeds they would achieve on their individual broadband connections.
    UPC's fibre broadband starts at speeds of 50Mb, with Eircom and Vodafone offering services starting at 8Mb.
    Prices for Sky's entry level broadband service will start at €30 - about 30 per cent cheaper than similar services from competitors Eircom and Vodafone - with the unlimited offering costing €40. That can be combined with phone packages for between €37.50 and €47.50 every month.Adding digital TV takes the cost to €57 fort he cheapest package.

A welcome development. Dreambox users might be well advised to avoid it however!
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Unless you are living in the house next to the telephone exchange, you won't get 24mb.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

There's no new network, so they are repackaging eircom dsl and reselling it with calls and their tv offerings. It's a small bit cheaper than the 3 services combined heretofore.

It'll be as fast (or slow) as your local phone exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
          There's no new network, so they are repackaging eircom dsl and reselling it with calls and their tv offerings. It's a small bit cheaper than the 3 services combined heretofore.

It'll be as fast (or slow) as your local phone exchange.
          With DSL, distance from exchange is the the No 1 reason why you get what speed you get. Then "noise" on the line, especially if it's old.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
            With DSL, distance from exchange is the the No 1 reason why you get what speed you get. Then "noise" on the line, especially if it's old.
            That and contention.

Comment

I signed upto this a few weeks ago when they were trialing it.

€17.50 a month for the unlimited BB and phone calls,

Was getting bout 4.5mb/s previously, now getting between 6.5-8. The biggest improvement is torrents, I can get up to 1000kbs now, where as before, I would be delighted if it hit 150kbs, with it averaging 40-80kbs.

fairly happy with it so far
              The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Bosco, has the good quality been maintined? Also does the sky hub give you on demand and if so do you need a sky box with wifi or what? Tanks
                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

There is a light on the hub for on demand, not sure what it does, I only have the old sky plus box so can't get it,

just did a speedtest and only got 3.9 but the torrents are still flying down whenever I am downloading stuff.

Comment

Cheers. It's the same price as what I'm on with talk anytime but wuth unlimited download (the 2gb option a non runner to begin with) instead of my 20gb. Rarely hit that anyway but curious about the on demand. Must have a read on box compatibility
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

In my ignorance, I thought that Broadband would be coming through Satellite Dish. My interpretation is that it will come through Landline - if this the case, it will be no use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty View Post
                        In my ignorance, I thought that Broadband would be coming through Satellite Dish. My interpretation is that it will come through Landline - if this the case, it will be no use to me.
                        It is through your landline. Sky just put their equipment in your local exchange - or piggy back off Eircom.

Edit

Actually it looks like they piggy back off BT. Good article here on FTTC, which BT Ireland are trialling.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms...0mbps-fibre-br
                        Last edited by fitzy73; 19th-February-2013, 07:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                          Cheers. It's the same price as what I'm on with talk anytime but wuth unlimited download (the 2gb option a non runner to begin with) instead of my 20gb. Rarely hit that anyway but curious about the on demand. Must have a read on box compatibility
                          i think you have to have one of the HD boxes that has the Ethernet connection, you can get a wireless adapter for the box if you can't run a cable.

the light in the front is for HD+ not on demand, still don't know what it does

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                            There is a light on the hub for on demand, not sure what it does, I only have the old sky plus box so can't get it,

http://help.sky.com/broadband/set-up...uter-explained

Seems they are rolling out more of the features in Ireland that you can get in the UK- Ive their combined tv(with all sky sports/movies)/phone(unlimited national and internatioanl calls to 20 countries landlines)/unlimited boradband package over here, costs GBP 92 a month, and it works out well. The price has continued to go up and they are altering their anywhere service.

What does the equivilant to this cost in Ireland anyone know as may look at it for the mother?

The on demand, anytime+ and recording facilities mean I very rarely watch "live" tv anymore- its very handy to series link any show you watch(save about 15 minutes an hour forwarding adds etc),and you their is loads to download thou my box is always 95% plus full.
                            Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                              Bosco, has the good quality been maintined? Also does the sky hub give you on demand and if so do you need a sky box with wifi or what? Tanks
                              I have it too.

i have a HD box but not a subscription for HD.

i got the on demand, what you need is a wireless transmitter that costs €12.99 from sky, no subscription after.

i haven't used it much, but it seems when you go on demand it copies it to your box and you then view it through your planner as you do for a programme you have recorded.

(Apologies for the lower case i's ....... Stupid tablet)

Comment

Working...
                              X