BBC Censor sections of famous Fawlty towers episode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Censor sections of famous Fawlty towers episode

Don't mention the ***: Censorship row as BBC cuts the Major's 'racist' lines from classic Fawlty Towers episode

• Viewers complain that only the 'terminally thin-skinned' could be offended by the character
    • BBC said it was edited to suit a family audience to reflect changing attitudes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2ItBPwqIq

Having grown up with Fawlty towers,I find this a little odd from the BBC.Just my opinion mind.

Pathetic. The Beeb (and Fawlty Towers lovers, worldwide) have no problem with the racial stereotyping of the English (Basil), the Spanish/Catalans (Manuel) or the Irish (Reilly the builder), but any reference to the "n" word and alarm bells go off.
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

It was a watershed call, it seems. The original series was a 9pm broadcast, but the repeats are running earlier in the evening and trimmed accordingly.

I think, on balance, that it was the right call. I can appreciate that the joke is on the character and their ludicrous attempts to distinguish between categories of racial abuse, but I don't think I'd fancy having to suddenly explain to a curious eight or nine year old why that use of the word was funny and ironic, but that didn't make it ok to repeat to their friends.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Won't see too many episodes of It ain't half hot Mum on the Beeb aswell.

Comment

Ridiculous!!! And the BBC wonder why they are in such crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
            It was a watershed call, it seems. The original series was a 9pm broadcast, but the repeats are running earlier in the evening and trimmed accordingly.

I think, on balance, that it was the right call. I can appreciate that the joke is on the character and their ludicrous attempts to distinguish between categories of racial abuse, but I don't think I'd fancy having to suddenly explain to a curious eight or nine year old why that use of the word was funny and ironic, but that didn't make it ok to repeat to their friends.
            actually I'd suggest it is one of the best pieces you could ever use to explain the changing attitudes and about understanding different generations realisations. I'd be very happy to have to explain it to my 8 year old, not least because it might make him understand that whilst he is (genuinely) completely unaware of colour as a differentiator and that is a great step towards how it should be, that is not how older generations minds worked or work and you need to be aware of it.
            \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
              actually I'd suggest it is one of the best pieces you could ever use to explain the changing attitudes and about understanding different generations realisations. I'd be very happy to have to explain it to my 8 year old, not least because it might make him understand that whilst he is (genuinely) completely unaware of colour as a differentiator and that is a great step towards how it should be, that is not how older generations minds worked or work and you need to be aware of it.
              All well and good, but that doesn't mean that it's ok for the BBC to place you in that position without any sort of prior warning. They're re-running the series as early evening family entertainment, and it's no longer language that's acceptable in that context.

Should an eight year old Gujurati kid in Ealing expect to hear himself described as a wog at tea time on the BBC?

The readiness of the press to jump on the "PC gone mad" wagon on this is enough to make you despair. The BBC made a reasonably nuanced call on sensitive issue.

The very notion that it's ridiculous, as suggested above, is ridiculous.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

The innocence of children never ceases to amaze me. If more adults took their lead from children and saw people rather than colour...the world might be just that little bit better.
                Pedantry - the last bastion of the obtuse.

Comment

All well and good, but that doesn't mean that it's ok for the BBC to place you in that position without any sort of prior warning. They're re-running the series as early evening family entertainment, and it's no longer language that's acceptable in that context.

Should an eight year old Gujurati kid in Ealing expect to hear himself described as a wog at tea time on the BBC?

The readiness of the press to jump on the "PC gone mad" wagon on this is enough to make you despair. The BBC made a reasonably nuanced call on sensitive issue.

The very notion that it's ridiculous, as suggested above, is ridiculous.
                  Issue a warning then, but don't censor some of the greatest comedy ever written in the English language.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                    Issue a warning then, but don't censor some of the greatest comedy ever written in the English language.
                    The BBC don't issue warnings before the watershed - that's the point of the watershed. It was edited with the constent of Cleese's management.

And to defend "Those ones are niggers and those ones are wogs" on the strength of the writing is ludicrous.

This isn't censorship - it's editing of offensive language for a pre-watershed terrestrial TV audience, which has been done with countless films and TV series over the years.

Seeing people get aerated about it is bizarre.

Comment

The BBC don't issue warnings before the watershed - that's the point of the watershed. It was edited with the constent of Cleese's management.

And to defend "Those ones are niggers and those ones are wogs" on the strength of the writing is ludicrous.

This isn't censorship - it's editing of offensive language for a pre-watershed terrestrial TV audience, which has been done with countless films and TV series over the years.

Seeing people get aerated about it is bizarre.
                      Yes they do issue warnings before the watershed, for the news. There is absolutely no reason why the BBC could not have issued a warning. Its this sort of behaviour by the BBC that is the reason why it is sadly going to wind up without a license fee to support it, in the not to distant future.

Comment

I was watching "On the Buses" during the day a few weeks ago - one of black characters is nicknamed "Chalkie".
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          Yes they do issue warnings before the watershed, for the news. There is absolutely no reason why the BBC could not have issued a warning. Its this sort of behaviour by the BBC that is the reason why it is sadly going to wind up without a license fee to support it, in the not to distant future.

No it's not, because it's the world's greatest broadcaster and the only people who get agitated by it are the right wing press. You can't show a comedy pre-watershed that requires a warning about its language content. By definition, it would have to be moved until after the watershed. That's how the watershed works.

Most people are happy to have it on at that time in the evening, it needs a bit of clipping to make it acceptable to the average modern viewer.

Daily Mail readers aren't the average modern viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                            I was watching "On the Buses" during the day a few weeks ago - one of black characters is nicknamed "Chalkie".
                            And there's lots of questionable sexism in old hollywood movies. But explicit racist language - language that would never be written for a 7.30 broadcast in 2013 - is a bit more straightforward.

Comment

This is similar to the BBC editing of the word "faggot" out of Fairytale of New York. Just idiotic, considering that the use of the word faggot was in the older meaning "drunk".

Luckily that got shouted down, and rightly so, IMO.

Take back the word!
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X