The New Driving Licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Driving Licence

As most will be aware a new Driving Licence is coming into play from January 19th 2013. It will be plastic credit card type thingy, which is a positive development for anyone who has had to produce their wrinkled and decrepit pink thing abroad (still talking licences here)

Anyway the renewal periods are for 3 years and 10 years, at a cost of €35 and €55 respectively.

As someone who needs to renew at the end of the month, I was putting together my photos, forms (beware, there are new ones) and the various med documents. It was only on closer reading of the med and eyesight documents that I became aware of a little anomaly.
    If your licence covers you to drive a truck (or any group 2 vehicle) the licence is only valid for 5 Years! And here's the touch, you still pay the 10 year fee.

I called the motor tax office to confirm, the girl was at first unsure, went to check and came back to confirm that is the case. 10 year fee for 5 year licence if you have a truck on your licence.

As someone who drives them in work, it's a bit of a gottcha.

Also from Sept, you will be required to go to have your photos taken only at an approved photographer, no more popping into the local pharmacy. So renewals going to be a whole lot more expensive.
    Con Artist

I better make the most of the next 7 years so!

Comment

Discovered my license is up last Friday! Can I still opt for "old style" today, and if so how much for a 10 year one?
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
        Discovered my license is up last Friday! Can I still opt for "old style" today, and if so how much for a 10 year one?
        I doubt it as the date due(Friday) falls into the new system .

Comment

1-year: €25
          3-year: €35
          10-year: €55

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            I doubt it as the date due(Friday) falls into the new system .
            It's up a week or two Taz.

Comment

It's up a week or two Taz.
              Get on it straight away so! Get the photo done and tear into the Tax office,they will do the old one there and then in the old format!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                Get on it straight away so! Get the photo done and tear into the Tax office,they will do the old one there and then in the old format!
                Will do.

Comment

Will do.
                  http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...g_licence.html

Anyone who applies for a licence or learner permit after 12 January 2013 receives the new version
                  Card it is...
                  Last edited by taz; 17th-January-2013, 11:06.

Comment

If your renewal date is prior to the 19th you still get the old one apparently. Good luck JCC
                    Con Artist

Comment

New fees are from 1st Jan.

If your license is already expired you have to apply for a new one

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...g_licence.html

Comment

Will do.
                        If it's a renewal you're probably also going to have to go to the Doc, with the med and eyesight forms (another €50)
                        Con Artist

Comment

Why do you want the old style one? the new one is far more convenient.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                            Why do you want the old style one? the new one is far more convenient.

Photograph taken in the days before he murdered the cat.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post

Also from Sept, you will be required to go to have your photos taken only at an approved photographer, no more popping into the local pharmacy. So renewals going to be a whole lot more expensive.
                              If the criteria/rules are the same there are a few booths you can use. The one in Jetland S.C. was (last year) an approved one and worked out a treat for me renewing my UK licence and passport.

So is this still going to be a county by county thing or is it a centralised online/post affair? Considering the population of Ireland, a single office (say in Limerick or Cork) would make more sense than keeping 34ish offices open around the country.
                              The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                              Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Working...
                              X